What's in a box?

Hi everyone,

I'm the kind of chap that buys a model whether it has a box or not as i mainly buy models to be in dioramas or on general display. However having recently restarted my collecting I find myself trying more and more to get boxed versions as this clearly helps the re-sale price on most occassions. This however begs the question if you are paying a premium first time round then surely this negates the re-sale value?

With so many seasoned collectors on this site and juniors like me I'm very interested to see what all your thoughts are on the importance, relevance and pleasure enjoyed by having or not having boxes.

Also as a side note what are your thoughts on Dealer Boxes, I note how these are becoming more valuable, is this right and good value?

Yes has to have a box for two reasons

1: My only rare model a Yellow 1884, had to have a box so it was like re-opening the first one i got 22 years ago

2: If they dont come in a box, they come broken

Therefore i always buy with box even if i throw the box out the minute it arrives, i doubt i'll ever sell any of my models, bar the odd conversion i do

I'll always prefer a boxed model if I can get one.......Also given the choice will go for a dealer box version.......I still have the boxes for at least 80% of my models, basically all I've bought since my younger days.......

I do get annoyed with the models that are tied into their boxes with the plastic wires, the older Britains boxes where the model sat in the moulded plastic was much better for the collector who may wish to take out the model but for it to go back in its box the way it came out.......

1: My only rare model a Yellow 1884, had to have a box so it was like re-opening the first one i got 22 years ago

Therefore i always buy with box even if i throw the box out the minute it arrives, i doubt i'll ever sell any of my models, bar the odd conversion i do

I've bought a few Britains unboxed and they have arrived complete, although I take hour point with regards to delicate models, had a UH Class Xerion that turned up in bits recently  :(

I'm not very sentimental towards the boxes they come in or keeping them for that matter, however foolish that may seem. I enjoy displaying my collection within themed line ups in open view of the cabinets that house them. It's the models I like to look at and not the packaging they come in. They also take up a huge amount of extra storage space which I don't have too. Part of my recent collecting habits has involved trying to re-collect the old Britains, Ertl and Siku tractors that once graced my carpet farming operation as a youngster. The same philosophy applies, i'd rather search out decent unboxed examples as opposed to paying a premium for those presented in their box.  That said I will hang to onto a few boxes from the more limited models I have and colourful examples of some of the articulated tractors I have such as the Toy Farmer editions and models with certificates of authentication. But as far as modern day general releases are concerned i'm not that fussed about the box when they arrive back at home. 

I do get annoyed with the models that are tied into their boxes with the plastic wires, the older Britains boxes where the model sat in the moulded plastic was much better for the collector who may wish to take out the model but for it to go back in its box the way it came out.......

This unfuriates me, I much preferred the 'turn key' fixing on the old Britains models. It's particularly annoying with delicate, UH, Weise or similar models where the threat of breaking the model trying to get the wires off is increased. It's catch 22 too as it is preferable to keep the wires for putting them back in the box but far easier just to cut them making removal easier  :of

Cheers for the votes and responses fellas

im not fussed about the box although most of my models stay in them, i do think boxes and packaging could be shrunk down, its like China has a polystyrene mountain it needs to get rid of!!!

I do like to see good artwork on a box, im not keen on the idea dealer boxes will be worth more, in my opinion its the throw away boxes that will become rare dealer boxes will get looked after, i think theyre just clever marketing to make extra money.

new stuff stays boxed for me and if its mf i will go for dealer box versions ,others depend on what model it is, so vary, my valderstad stuff and lemken is dealer versions, along with a good few others , as for my older britains stuff i usally by un boxed ,to me as long as its origonal in all parts, and as close to mint, which in these is hard to find, they have had  a life , they have been used but cared for, boxed old models whilst worth more have not been loved or looked after they have just been stashed away and left, almost unloved in a way

Darn good question Lee... I'm number 2 on the list... for most of the models I have I've plumped for MIB.. then I take them out of the boxes and put them in my cabinet  :-[  quite silly really I guess.

I do keep the boxes so that when I am dead and gone the kids can maximise on the money I've wasted spent  :-[

Darn good question Lee... I'm number 2 on the list... for most of the models I have I've plumped for MIB.. then I take them out of the boxes and put them in my cabinet  :-[  quite silly really I guess.

I do keep the boxes so that when I am dead and gone the kids can maximise on the money I've wasted spent  :-[

Not wasted I am sure  ;D

I think a further interesting question is how many models have collectors missed because the model was not boxed? Also is a clearly damaged box worth anything extra or does a box have to be mint like the model? I ask this because you get plenty of models been sold as 'boxed' but often little or no detail on the box condition is given and several recent purchases have turned up looking distinctly ragged box wise!

It's not do or die for me but the older Britains I like to collect to replace what I had as a nipper are more desirable if they are MIMB.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of photographing the cardboard box packaging each and every one came in mind. . .. Ahem!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There are a few ways to look at this subject. If you look at it from a financial asset or true value aspect then yes, the box is most important as it is, if in good to mint condition, 2/3rds the total value. Models that are rare will still be worth a premium without the box but with older obsolete models the collector should buy what he or she can afford at the time. As for more modern models presented in 'dealer' boxes, the ones from 3 or 4 years ago when dealer boxes started to come in will in the future be more desirable as they were only produced in limited numbers but now nearly all models are packaged in dealer boxes for the first production run and in greater numbers. Limited edition models should have their boxes kept as the box authenticates the model by having this fact printed on them, if the box has 'limited edition', 'anniversary' or some other specially printed wording or graphics then these will be more value in the future. Look out for 'mistakes' from the factories as well, wrong model number on the box, colour variations on boxes and models, you all know what I mean. This is where value lies.

I try to buy boxed models from places like Evil bay but all my boxes are kept under my baseboards for my layout and are all packed in banana boxes, this makes them easier to store and if ever decide to sell any of them i know that the boxes are important if you look on Evil bay the boxed britains are fetching quite a lot of money as are any obsolete farm models for that matter. i have always been told that in some respects the boxes are worth more than the models inside.

Regards Nick

Put me in the not fussed category. If it comes in a box, I'll keep the box, if it comes with no box, no problem.

When I buy on eBay, I bid accordingly regarding box or no box.

Has anyone came across this scenario....I purchased a boxed model, not advertised as mint,photographed in the box, thinking that being boxed it would be in very good condition, only to find on recieving it that it was quite play-worn. Not really any deception on the seller's part, almost an unfounded expectation on my part. I suppose I should have split hairs and asked it it was boxed, unopened.  ::)

Dealer box over standard every time... If my box comes with a corner bent the person who supplied it soon knows and i want a new one.... The way UH package their models the boxes in mint condition will be worth more eventually as from what i have heard from dealers who get alot of models they are often damaged. Oh if it doesnt have a box i also wont buy it, that is unless its a conversion scratch build etc which there are no boxes for.

Put me in the not fussed category. If it comes in a box, I'll keep the box, if it comes with no box, no problem.

When I buy on eBay, I bid accordingly regarding box or no box.

Has anyone came across this scenario....I purchased a boxed model, not advertised as mint,photographed in the box, thinking that being boxed it would be in very good condition, only to find on recieving it that it was quite play-worn. Not really any deception on the seller's part, almost an unfounded expectation on my part. I suppose I should have split hairs and asked it it was boxed, unopened.  ::)

To be fair the seller should have been  more accurate in their description, the responsibility lies with them not you. Problem is what you gonna do?

There have been brand new models boxed that have arrived broken. So I don't fully buy that theory.

For me if it has a box fine but no biggie if it doesn't. The boxes just get stored anyway and I buy my collection for me, not for resale or as an investment.