Martin's collection.

1 hour ago, T.H Conversions said:

Exellent pictures Martin! They look very realistic, You have some lovely models there especially those fordsons :) 

Thanks, the power major is possibly a candidate to try my hand at weathering, I'd quite like a pre restoration model to sit at the back of a workshop of I ever get round to making one. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mb86 said:

Thanks, the power major is possibly a candidate to try my hand at weathering, I'd quite like a pre restoration model to sit at the back of a workshop of I ever get round to making one. 

I've always fancied weathering a UH fordson but I could never bring myself to do it :unsure: it would look really good weathered :P

• Like 2

At least it should be easy to remove parts from the UH to look like it's had a hard life. ;)

5 hours ago, T.H Conversions said:

I've always fancied weathering a UH fordson but I could never bring myself to do it :unsure: it would look really good weathered :P

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mb86 said:

Cheers Paul, I haven't measured it but think it could be up to 1cm to come off. 

So much, mmm though really the original pick up  on these that Mike used was off the Britains Claas 695 self propelled, i have an 819 brochure somewhere should hunt it out and compare the measurements, just taking the drive gears out of the side casing and refit the end might narrow it enough to look less bulky.... ;)

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, alf aphid said:

Lovely! Is Brian building a batch of wufflers or is it from the past ? 

Thanks, they are lovely indeed Alastair. This will be a few years old as it was bought off a good friend of mine. I thought Brian had only built tractors until I heard of this. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Thanks, they are lovely indeed Alastair. This will be a few years old as it was bought off a good friend of mine. I thought Brian had only built tractors until I heard of this. 

Yes, I'd never heard of them before. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

intresting, not seen that before, only his two grain versions in pettit or ransomes. looks a nice build ,as you would expect from them

Same here Sean, except the two 8 ton twin axle versions in the m&m auction a few months back but they were apparently one offs.

56 minutes ago, T.H Conversions said:

Lovely trailer Martin, that red really stands out :) 

Thanks, it will amongst my sea of blue. ;)

12 minutes ago, prickles said:

i have two of these  silage trailers ,one was built with one only front panel the second has two front panels the same as this one

That's interesting, was that a request of yours nick? I assumed they would all be built the same. 

3 minutes ago, prickles said:

KEN took over building these after BILL RICHARDSON  retired and stop making them.   It should be 188 not 180   as two ford 7000 together were x2 94 horsepower

i see it has 600 series grills

DOES never actually built any 188tractors themselves as they could not build Doe tractors using Ford FIECO safety cab as it was not rated for the weight of two tractors so was illegal to build and supply tractor from new, you will not find them in any Doe registers.   In later years they overhauled/re built some for customers but initially no new  builds left Does.  The first Ford 7000 based 188 tractors were built by R.A.INCE &SONS  large arable farm in Bedfordshire i believe they built 3 of them. When they wanted to replace them they built  a tractor from a shortened motor scraper with two engines it was the biggest most powerful tractor in the uk  at 610 horsepower , they built there own implements to match .

Thanks for the info nick, always good to get some background on the models. Yes the 7000 powered does were conversions of the original factory machines which were done when their power plants came to the end of their lives and I assume it would only be done to the 5000 based ones due to the compatibility of the skid units. Even though the hp would indeed come to 188 I always thought these conversions were known as the 180. 

How fitting that the tractor that followed in the footsteps from those that converted the origional does had to have implements built especially for it to harness the power, just like the origional dual drives did all those years before. I bet it was a sight to behold. 

32 minutes ago, SPN said:

What a super model.

I always regretted not getting a pair of these in Ransomes colours when they were being made.

Thanks stan, it certainly is and it is such a shame they can no longer be bought new. 

Interesting to see the differences between them, that's the beauty of hand built models like these, each one is unique. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mb86 said:

Thanks stan, it certainly is and it is such a shame they can no longer be bought new. 

Interesting to see the differences between them, that's the beauty of hand built models like these, each one is unique. 

What I find most interesting about the Does is that the oil filter is the one used on the pre pickup hitch 5000, but the model has a pickup hitch.

Was there a transition model with the old oil filter but the new hitch?

I always thought these two changes (and the mudguard fixing change) were done at the same time.

1 minute ago, prickles said:

The pick up hitch versions based on 6600 skid units i guess your one stan is a BILL build ? does it have JW painted underneath?

The FIECO cabbed 5000 also had the pick up hitch.

Actually, there's an even more interesting anomaly - the rear tractor has the original oil filter AND the FIECO cab brackets.

What is the correct term for the two different oil filters Nick?