The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

On 5/1/2021 at 9:35 PM, robbo said:

C'mon Paul, anything you want to tell us about?

Well as some of you on here already know, (Mike included) i been on a little jolly out over the weekend and something just happened to follow me home..... the something happened to be a 1968 Nuffield 465, its come from a good home from the last 15 odd or so years of my good mate Martin and his late uncle Iain, i spent many an hour up in their workshop seeing various tractors being built up and given a good bit of tlc, It now means that my better half Gemma  can fully enjoy my 804, as pictured she had a drive of the 465 and admitted she prefers the 804, so i've for now got a set of mobile wheels to at least be out and about with her, just a crank seal to do and the starter wiring to look at but simple jobs on what is a good honest straight tractor, there the odd little rust spot in the wings but her paint is 53 years old, never been touched with a brush or spray and thats how she going to stay once i done the little jobs on her, purists will knock points off for the square center ex 804 rear 34's but they can stay as far as im concerned, big boots make her look a beefy tractor 😊 and on a plus point once I get the engine sorted in the 345 I'll have a half tidy pair of Nuffield tractors

180849364_10221887448588489_2170974566609284344_n.jpg

181114941_456764335400317_7637936956147857104_n.jpg

180736382_502290624517594_6617025342925430731_n.jpg

180862718_302859134739500_5053198580201378938_n.jpg

181440686_800619330883901_384327301078630041_n.jpg

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 7

🙂

She is John, couldn't really not have her for what she is. Hahaha yes well spotted aye we stopped and had a brew, Gemma got herself some chocolate but we had some of her homemade chocolate orange millionaires shortbread with us so we had some of that whilst we sat and enjoyed the peacefulness of the village before getting back on the motorway... Can't fault the shortbread it gets better with every batch 🙂

3 hours ago, justy 46 said:

That's a nice Nuff Paul. Big boots on rear give it a muscly kinda iook. For a 53 year old tractor it looks in great nick. 

cheers Justin , aye she good, just the rear crank seal to do so I've been on with getting in amongst her this morning, not a bad job on a Nuffield as they not need split to get the clutch and flywheel out 

2 hours ago, The Tractor Twitcher said:

Lovely tractor Paul. Great addition to your full size collection. 🙂

Thanks David, think in the long run it'll make a nice pair with the 345 once I sort that out but meanwhile it'll be a nice tractor when the weather improves again

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, smithy said:

Well done Paul that looks and sounds a treat ,i also noticed you stopped outside the chocolate factory was that to get Gemma  a little gift as a thank you for letting you get another tractor 😍

Cheers Smithy, err no Gemma actually bought her own chocolates, we are headed back that way in a couple of weekends time for a wander about and I said I'd spoil her then to some as we been together 12 months on the 16th of May🙂

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 1:10 PM, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Smithy, err no Gemma actually bought her own chocolates, we are headed back that way in a couple of weekends time for a wander about and I said I'd spoil her then to some as we been together 12 months on the 16th of May🙂

Keep failing to buy the chocolates and you wont see 12 months paul 😄  looks a tidy buy.  nice of farm look paint wise 

15 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

Keep failing to buy the chocolates and you wont see 12 months paul 😄  looks a tidy buy.  nice of farm look paint wise 

Nah Gemma's a keeper Sean, chocolates aren't the reason we are together........ Paint on tractor really good, just a bit of T cut and good polish will bring it back up, not too bothered about the small odd rust bubble on wings, it's a shame to repair them and spoil the originality of her

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, justy 46 said:

😅 Do they beat the 1/16s Paul.!! 

They take more storing and looking after Justin..... I'm still a 16th man at heart though, you can take the models from the man but you can't take the man from the models 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a great week away with Gemma up around the Cumbrian coast I got back to the spanners and got a bit more done to the 465 this week, partial rewire just the lighting circuit left to sort, brakes stripped one of the expander units unseized and cleaned up, back together and brakes balanced, but being the dry disc type like the later Leylands it's one pedal press to go left, two presses to go right or the 3rd press might actually stop you.... Hahaha no joking apart, she actually pulls up pretty straight, just need to look at the nearside front axle kingpin, noticed a bit of slop in it but a bush kit won't break the bank, meanwhile a bellhousing and tombstone have arrived for the fitment of a 3pot Perkins into the 345, the parts are ex Leyland 253 so it's much of a nut and bolt job when I find an engine, but whilst on holiday a 2.8bmc block has been offered without its liners in so can be given a good inspection when I get chance to go and view it, possibly she could be staying as standard, but meanwhile I got the pair together under the shed, some 50 years ago both these tractors would have been sold and registered by Thos Corrie at Dumfries, the 465 in '68 and the 345 in '69 and all this time later they appear here in Lancashire, I know the 345 spent slot of its years around Carlisle but the 465 had never been out of Scotland until I bought her 4 weeks ago....... 

IMG_20210527_125656~2.jpg

• Like 6

Had the 465 out for a little run yesterday, seeing as the sun was shining I thought I'd take it up to see my dad on the 10th anniversary of his passing, there's a few on here that will remember him, he's certainly still missed and I doubt he'd have been impressed that I bought another Nuffield rather than another Major or pre force Ford, but on the other hand dad did know Iain and Martin fairly well so I might have escaped his wrath.... Anyhow a couple of photos, she pulled well up Jeffery, brakes want a bit of adjustment again now they bedded in a touch but nowt that can't be fettled 

IMG_20210530_093522.jpg

IMG_20210530_093544~2.jpg

IMG_20210530_093550~2.jpg

IMG_20210530_093804~3.jpg

FB_IMG_1622443513593.jpg

• Like 6

On 5/30/2021 at 7:06 AM, Valley Axe Man said:

Well after a great week away with Gemma up around the Cumbrian coast I got back to the spanners and got a bit more done to the 465 this week, partial rewire just the lighting circuit left to sort, brakes stripped one of the expander units unseized and cleaned up, back together and brakes balanced, but being the dry disc type like the later Leylands it's one pedal press to go left, two presses to go right or the 3rd press might actually stop you.... Hahaha no joking apart, she actually pulls up pretty straight, just need to look at the nearside front axle kingpin, noticed a bit of slop in it but a bush kit won't break the bank, meanwhile a bellhousing and tombstone have arrived for the fitment of a 3pot Perkins into the 345, the parts are ex Leyland 253 so it's much of a nut and bolt job when I find an engine, but whilst on holiday a 2.8bmc block has been offered without its liners in so can be given a good inspection when I get chance to go and view it, possibly she could be staying as standard, but meanwhile I got the pair together under the shed, some 50 years ago both these tractors would have been sold and registered by Thos Corrie at Dumfries, the 465 in '68 and the 345 in '69 and all this time later they appear here in Lancashire, I know the 345 spent slot of its years around Carlisle but the 465 had never been out of Scotland until I bought her 4 weeks ago....... 

IMG_20210527_125656~2.jpg

Very nice pair there Paul , good job you have got the 465 home from across the border as maybe if they get there way you would have to pay a export tax ☺️, better go and get my tin hat on 😬

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 9:37 PM, smithy said:

Very nice pair there Paul , good job you have got the 465 home from across the border as maybe if they get there way you would have to pay a export tax ☺️, better go and get my tin hat on 😬

Cheers Smithy, don't think you need a tin hat.... It's not that bad yet... 

Had an few hours with the T-cut on her and she's starting to shine.

received_539231037453952.jpeg

IMG_20210603_132330.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...