The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, justy 46 said:

She is looking very fresh Paul. Show season is almost upon us . How is the 802 coming along ??

Cheers Justin, aye show season not far off now, got her booked into 2 so far, and hope to get her to a couple more besides :) errr well the 802 is getting there slowly, all the tin is now ready for sandblasting and re-painting, some of the glass is out of the cab, bit of welding needs doing here and there, then can concentrate on the wiring before i get her back together, thinking i'll keep her on the 38's but swap the 10's on the front back to 750's, most of the mechanical is done or from the faults that i knew about, but there's another project brewing between Martin MB86 and myself, that also needs a bit of time spent on but all will be revealled when she comes out of the shed ;)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

She's looking well Paul, like you say, a couple of hundred little bales of straw on behind her would be music to the ears! There's some grass being knocked down over the other side of the valley from us this afternoon........no triples mind!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 844john said:

She's looking well Paul, like you say, a couple of hundred little bales of straw on behind her would be music to the ears! There's some grass being knocked down over the other side of the valley from us this afternoon........no triples mind!

Cheers John, it's good to have her out on a bit of work, but oh hell aye she'd sound well with a bit of weight on :)..... think there be a bit of grass getting dropped up and down these next few days...

• Like 1

Looking lovely in the sunshine Paul. Bet it was good to grab the chance of a bit of tractor therapy. Agreed it'd sound great with that trailer loaded. Or even better with a chopper on the back picking up some of that grass you've seen getting knocked down. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mb86 said:

Looking lovely in the sunshine Paul. Bet it was good to grab the chance of a bit of tractor therapy. Agreed it'd sound great with that trailer loaded. Or even better with a chopper on the back picking up some of that grass you've seen getting knocked down. 

Thanks Martin :), it's good to have an hour or two, with a bit o stress from t'other job  that 4/98 is a good way to unwind.... would have opened her up and had her up the road for a mile or three to stretch her legs but after finishing helping my Landlord tidy up i'd other places to go.... 

Like the others have said Paul, your tractor really looks good out in the sunshine ,yes if only you could have loaded up that trailer with bales and gone for a spin around the roads it would have done you and the tractor a power of good maybe next time its out you can hook something on the back and go for a spin :D

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 1:22 PM, smithy said:

Like the others have said Paul, your tractor really looks good out in the sunshine ,yes if only you could have loaded up that trailer with bales and gone for a spin around the roads it would have done you and the tractor a power of good maybe next time its out you can hook something on the back and go for a spin :D

Cheers Smithy, aye your right there ;) although next time she's out will be to give her another wipe over ready for her first show of the year for her in a little over a weeks time, still got a display to sort out too, reckon that'll be this weekends job... hard to think this time last year i was trying to get the front axle back together to get her to the show but it wasn't to be, doesn't seem like 12 months ago though

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Had the 804 down to the Fylde show this weekend, good to catch up with a few folk and give her a couple of decent runs on both days, got her out again this weekend coming to the Goosnargh and Longridge Agricultural Show but after talking with the tractor steward he's got a bit of a plan in mind so i'm hoping for some good photo's this weekend :), but here she is having a lazy day in the sun with Alan's DM4 on Saturday..... got a bit of a drip on the feed pipe for the clutch master cylinder so that'll be a dash-out job i think to get enough hand access, will investigate further once she's been to Saturdays show. 

IMG_6479.thumb.JPG.a6cf1ff3f5bf98583ffcbfc51bac8c9c.JPGIMG_6561.thumb.JPG.fe2cdbaf0463d6c3f289d2982e2da29c.JPG

• Like 7

Well it's 12 months since the 804's first outing to Goosnargh and Longridge Ag, on reflection it hasn't been a bad 12 months, 25hrs clocked, a couple of small faults that appeared with a bit of use but nothing major, a surprise 3rd and Highly commended rosettes under her belt, a lot of positive comments and the odd negative one, but hey she is what she is and i'm proud of her :) If anyone asked me if i'd have another 804 i'd definatley say yes, but i think i'd prefer an XL the extra 8" in the wheelbase would make her a little less bouncey on the road but anyhow i can't see her getting another stablemate anytime soon, i'd best get cracked on and try and get my 802 back on the road... then next year they both might be at Goosnargh and Longridge show and my 802 will be able to stand along side Anthony's ;)

IMG_6616.thumb.JPG.bbfe9de86239687dcbb7358da965a128.JPG

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

She looks a very tidy old bus Paul, I've always liked the styling of the 345 and 465. I'm guessing your not going to paint her?, she looks to have a lovely original patina about her. A friend of ours had a JWD, along with a large collection of Nuffield, Leyland and Marshall.....she'll not be for sale though!

Edited by 844john
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 844john said:

She looks a very tidy old bus Paul, I've always liked the styling of the 345 and 465. I'm guessing your not going to paint her?, she looks to have a lovely original patina about her. A friend of ours had a JWD, along with a large collection of Nuffield, Leyland and Marshall.....she'll not be for sale though!

cheers John, no i've no plans to paint her up, will leave her as is, although the bonnet will need paint once i've got round to repairing it. hopefully will get a nice match or find a better original bonnet top to replace it to save paint.  Is that the same collection you were telling me about at Newby Hall?, a JWD be nice but like i say will need a lotto win on that one, would be happy with a tidy Syncro from 78 and think that'll do for the full sized collection, 2 tractors needing work, and my 804 will have it's dash out later today for me to cure that leaking clutch feed pipe... less stressful than being at work :),  and being up at the shed keeps me out the way of all the folk coming into town today for the food festival that takes over the town center every August

• Like 2

That's a neat little tractor Paul. For a machine that's 50 years old...it looks in pretty good nick. As you say ..better off leaving it as is.. It's also a nice size to kart around behind the Landy to shows that may be a good distance away, as the Marshals are too big and heavy for the trailer.  Congrads  again one the ever growing Scale 1:1 collection ..:D;)

• Like 1

The new addition is a lovely tractor Paul. I bet you are itching to get her out to a show before the season ends. As for a synchro, one will turn up to complete the collection, then you will have to start saving for that JWD, or a 4100. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

Tidy old girl, know of one this way pretty much identical, still used daily for running out to his cattle in the field fitted with a small link box 

Cheers Sean, still a few about that put in a days graft, my old major is currently sat in the woods with a 3 point boughton winch on it pulling a few sticks out, if the rain gives up i should go and get a few photo's of it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, justy 46 said:

That's a neat little tractor Paul. For a machine that's 50 years old...it looks in pretty good nick. As you say ..better off leaving it as is.. It's also a nice size to kart around behind the Landy to shows that may be a good distance away, as the Marshals are too big and heavy for the trailer.  Congrads  again one the ever growing Scale 1:1 collection ..:D;)

Cheers Justin :) i didn't set out to buy her but the price was right for what she is, and she's abit different having the single door Duncan on her,  as well as being the 3 cylinder version, when launched there wasn't alot between the 345 and 465 pricewise so alot of folk went for the bigger tractor, and like you say serves a purpose for a smaller trailerable tractor to travel with

• Like 2