LAB Works Contracts

Luke190

Well, I think its about time I start to post regualarly on here and I can't think of a better time to start since I'm in the process of building a new 1:32 collection

A little background about me:
My immediate family aren't farmers; however I have Norwegian cousins who have small farms north of Oslo. I grew up in South East England near a Massey dealers (Culverwells, Lewes), then at the age of three moved locally into an ex farmhouse right next to a large arable and dairy farm, which ran Ford then transitioned to New Holland tractors. My parents still live there now.
I have good memories of the 5610, 6810 and 7810 Fords rumbling past our house..!

I've carried out summer harvest, tillage and silage jobs for a number of farms including the one mentioned above, which saw me driving a wide variety of tractors (mainly New Holland and John Deere's) and telehandlers (CAT, JCB, Merlo and a Massey). Although I no longer work on farms, I've maintained a love for all things farm machinery.

I had a huge collection of 1:32 farm models, which I sold in 2011 to fund a round the world trip. Since then I started and sold off another collection due to the arrival of my son.
Now my son's two and we're more settled its about damn time I get back into this frustratingly expensive hobby!! :)

I've decided to focus on building my ideal contracting firm, starting out with a silage team and see where it goes from there.
The name LAB Works comes from my initials. The firm's tractor fleet will primarily be made up of current New Holland's.
I also plan to post photos of my farming days if and when I find photos.

So, onto the fleet:

First up is our JCB 416s Farm Master, used for clamp (grass and maze) and muck work throughout the year. When choosing a wheeled loader I really wanted a Volvo L70G; however I couldn't find one in 1:32. I then looked at the New Holland W190 by Ros. I didn't like the base model and the quotes for conversion parts were above my budget. I settled for the Britains JCB, and as you can see I've added decals, a new beacon and aerial to enhance it. I'm currently waiting for some wing mirrors to finish it off. Overall it's a nice model; however, I dislike that the bar holding the wheels together is too wide for the chassis.

IMG_20151002_161205_zpsvashf8ib.jpg

IMG_20151002_161220_zpsm5mukacm.jpg

Up next is our field maintenance vehicle, and oldest machine in our fleet, the Unimog 1600. I plan to add a portable welder, toolbox etc on the back:

IMG_20151002_160727_zpsxfvx5k44.jpg

To assist the JCB with clamp duties, we have invested in a Claas axion 950 and front buckrake. The plan is that both will work together on the clamp, then once the team move on to another customers farm, the JCB will head off and the Claas will remain behind to tidy up and finish off before joining the JCB:

IMG_20151002_161012_zpsh5g7xskp.jpg

IMG_20151002_161135_zpsfwkjciqo.jpg

We also run a New Holland telehandler for general yard work. I took the advice of another member and made some adjustments so that the models turning circle is improved. Plus one lucky Siku driver has been squeezed in:

IMG_20151002_160831_zpsokswpalr.jpg

IMG_20151002_160851_zpsr8sr4kva.jpg

Here's the current carting fleet:

IMG_20151002_161327_zpsdfhmdygg.jpg

IMG_20151002_161318_zpscnwpfubh.jpg

IMG_20151002_161803_zpsukjrsgaj.jpg

IMG_20151002_161835_zpsfo4vn4o4.jpg

Hope to have some buildings soon too :)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great to see a sussex member posting up his models,I did live down in east sussex till 2010 so I know of culverwells (bought a few models from the lewes branch before it closed and did a lot of work around the ripe ,chiddingly.golden cross area,so I based my model collection on whats was run locally by the local contractors of southover contractors and r.popovic & sons and b.g hagues nearer Hailsham way.

Thanks guys.

That Volvo sure looks a nice piece of kit but I think I'll stick with my JCB for now. Since I started working on it I'm warming to it. Once the mirrors arrive I may add some hydraulic piping to the lift arms. It's cost me less than £20 so far.

Also, the reason we have a Claas 950 instead of a New Holland is that I have never been a fan of the 250+ hp range offered by New Holland. Parents local farm had a Claas 850 in the yard no so long ago which looked the business. It's not blue, but it'll do!

Love to see some pics of the Kane beside a Krampe.

Very tempted to buy a pair of Krampes.

Watch out for someone making the new NH T7 HD models. 300hp in a tidy sized package.

Here you go SPN

IMG_20151003_110911_zps72vbkom9.jpg

IMG_20151003_111001_zpsgckuudhf.jpg

IMG_20151003_111044_zpsb2d3ng22.jpg

IMG_20151003_111136_zpscgcag3ds.jpg

The Kane is from Model Farmer. They did an amazing job with it.

Here's the Claas that was parked in our local farm's yard:

IMG_20150509_095352_zpsafvxkvbd.jpg

The Krampes are great. Very heavy and detailed. Best of all are the removable silage sides, so you get a two for one if you need a decent grain trailer.

Some parts on them are VERY fragile though, so they need to be handled carefully.

I have slightly modified two of mine so that they no longer have the white tarp covers and some of the horizontal support beams have been removed (see left image in the photo below for how the horizonal beams looked before I removed them). Personally I like them better after the modification:

wiking-17077339-krampe-big-body-silo-kip

• 2 months later...

Its about time I updated here. I haven't made any progress towards the layout itself since I'm still unsure whether to focus on a small yard or another scene as I have limited display space. The Brushwood pro builds look tempting though.

Model wise, I have bought quite a few planned additions for the contracting fleet, which I hope to photo today.

Although we run mainly New Holland equipment, following a number of demos we have chosen a Krone Big X and Big M for our primary mowing and chopping duties. Time will tell if the distance to the nearest Krone dealer will prove to be an issue. Claas have made some tempting offers for forage equipment, following our purchase of the Axion 950 and Liner rake; however, we are sticking with Krone for the time being. We plan to visit LAMMA 16, which may open the door to future discussions.

In support of the Big M, we have chosen to buy a set of Kuhn triples for busy periods, which we are currently waiting delivery.

I have dug out some photos from one of the farms I use to work on and occasionally visit. Hopefully I'll add more

P1170736_zpswa8r4uod.jpg

P1170761_zpsbjlgqzbv.jpg

P1170789_zps32rymflt.jpg

P1170724_zpssawyqxgo.jpg

P1170774_zpsfyyy2txn.jpg

2.jpg

Fleet update:

The Big M 500 isn't pictured since I haven't removed it from its box.

I'm also waiting delivery on the Kuhn triple mowers and a Replicagri Kuhn front mower, which I hope to use in combination with the rear butterfly mowers.

A New Holland T5.115 with front loader has also been ordered to power a whirl rake, cut hedges and carry out general yard work with the loader.

First up is our new New Holland T7.225, delivered from Haynes last week:

P1170824_zpszo8hgfgl.jpg

P1170844_zps0rdvrtym.jpg

P1170826_zpsoc1fquyx.jpg

The T7.210 was delivered new from Haynes around September time and can be seen on our new NC Slurry tanker ready to leave the yard on our first slurry job. This tractors main duties will consist of carting maze/silage and muck/slurry spreading:

P1170821_zpsjgoxl3wl.jpg

P1170838_zpsfgusbpws.jpg

P1170839_zpszexrg71l.jpg

Next up is my Defender, which I've had a while now. I like the simple build and its easy to maintain. Shes due to be joined by a long wheelbase Defender shortly, which will be used to transport staff around and collect them at the end of the day should our machiens remain in a customers yard overnight

P1170818_zpslkqi5tqb.jpg

We took ownership of an ex-demo T7.270 a while back which has already been put to work on a one pass drill. It can be seen here moving our Kuhn ga 9531 rake, in the yard. The rake will sit behind the T5.115 come May

P1170831_zpskq3rwznh.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a new Claas Liner 3000 in France for a good price, which was delivered to us in Sussex at the end of the summer. The Kuhn will likely follow the triple mowers and Liner follow the Big M, as two seperate teams

P1170823_zpszskfd1hs.jpg

P1170833_zpsze1fbdbm.jpg

We have further worked on our Farm Master and telehandler, addind mirrors to the JCB and warning stickers and beacon to the LM

P1170817_zpske74fod6.jpg

P1170816_zpstvnoiikv.jpg

P1170819_zps0oyw16tf.jpg

P1170820_zpsvpwzqpdo.jpg

Here's our new Big X 580. Were very impressed with it and can see that it will take some tinkering to master. Krone has promised us a high level of service, since the risk is the distance of our yard to their dealership. Historically we've run a trailed Lely Storm but with a huge increase in customers this season, due to a competitor retiring, we need something bigger. We were very impressed with the demo we had and the 580 at the Grassland event and we hope it will preform well in maze too

P1170843_zps8osithjh.jpg

P1170840_zpshjes2lu9.jpg

That's all for now :)

20 minutes ago, graham said:

some cracking models there luke, that looks like plumpton college to me luke.

Thanks. Yep, I was a student there years ago but also worked a little on the farm itself along with other farms around sussex

20 minutes ago, Jdeere6910 said:

Really impressive fleet there Luke, how do you rate the UH rake? I fancy one myself

It's a really good model. I only recently opened the Liner and I think I prefer the Kuhn overall. Lots of detail and functionality such as steering wheels and rotors that lower into transport position. I'm sure you won't regret the purchase

Archived