International Harvester B47 Baler

All this warm sunshine has inspired me to make a start on a baler to put on my 475 and there could only be one choice, one of the best balers in its day, the B47. So far the I've got the shell built and made a start on the knotters and such. Anyway, progress so far:)

WP_20180420_18_09_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20180420_18_08_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20180420_18_09_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20180420_18_10_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20180420_18_08_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20180420_18_06_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20170718_08_55_50_Pro.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

That’s very tidy John mate nice to see you back with your arse in gear ;) 

Thanks Sam, it's these bloody sheep, they don't leave you any time for fun!:D Trouble is now all the spring jobs are starting, rolling, harrowing, fert, mucking out....no time left for models!

4 hours ago, 844john said:

Thanks Sam, it's these bloody sheep, they don't leave you any time for fun!:D Trouble is now all the spring jobs are starting, rolling, harrowing, fert, mucking out....no time left for models!

Haha I’ve done away with helping with the sheep this year I’ve been to busy. But like you say spring jobs are starting. So unfortunately I’ll be winding it down with models now and chucking on my overalls ! Well with abit of luck just some shorts ! 

• 6 months later...

Thank you, yes, it's sat for a while and taken a bit of a back seat while I was finishing the 3CX and the Matbro, but hopefully will be able to get it finished now.  The real one is over my Fathers, so  mainly working off photo's and measurements, but at least it's handy for anything I'm stuck with anything! Yes, I'm using hexagonal rod for the bolts, trouble is there's a lot of them to add!

WP_20170718_08_56_21_Pro.jpg

6 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Well done John. Looking forward to this one!  Matbro finished yet?;)

Thanks Alastair, no, I haven't ordered the decals yet, thought I'd wait and get them with the ones for the JCB and the baler, should i be worried?;)

47 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Very high quality work again John, nice meeting you yesterday at Penrith, now i can actually say i've met the dark horse of scratchbuilding himself ;)

Cheers Paul, yes it was nice to meet you yesterday, even if you did raise a bit of colour in my cheeks!:D, just wished I'd had time for a bit more natter!

9 hours ago, 844john said:

Cheers Paul, yes it was nice to meet you yesterday, even if you did raise a bit of colour in my cheeks!:D, just wished I'd had time for a bit more natter!

Always next year John ;)  Least the colour matched your Nashes rather than the green of a Deere :D

They were good balers in their day, I bet the 4000 s-o-s was a good match for it.

22 hours ago, stehos said:

Great job so far on the baler, we used to have one on our farm. With a Ford 4000 with select-o-speed in front of it I made 1000's of bales!

Sure John, when the hay or straw was a bit thicker, just one or two gears back and no problems then. Shame the gearbox failed and in the same year I went to college and the baling was over. WE never had much trouble with the baler. Only one time a new needle was needed. Only you had to be carefull not overgreasing the knotters.

Archived