International Harvester B47 Baler

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all, I must admit that I was happy with  how the paintwork turned out on this one, although if I'm being  honest it is maybe just a little too shiny for me! I also have to admit that painting is my least favourite part of a build, as has proved itself yesterday when, after having a big problem with paint reacting for some reason, i thought it would probably be best  to remove the problem with thinners and start afresh......and managed to melt the plasticard and completely ruin the build:(

WP_20200125_17_09_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20200125_17_10_24_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20200125_17_10_01_Pro (2).jpg

9 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

not ruined john, make it into a hedgerow find, rust it up and flat tyres ect,  broken glass, would make a different sort of build for sure 

Not a bad idea Sean, the trouble is it was for someone else, it's the 15 or so hours spent on it before i ballsed it up that's making me cry!

Heart breaking im sure John but even in that state it looks bloody good im guessing its a 454

I remember seeing a burned out 454 that waa only 2 yrs old  long and short

It was a loader tractor 

The farmer always kept them fresh too 

I think he claimed off the 454 

Bought a flat deck 784 with front flotations  and fitted a Tanco loader to her 

Im sure he brought off the insurance the 454 wreck and converted her for a dedicated sprayer  looked fresh again put a mk 2 L cab but fitted the door hinges  so doors opend backwards instead of forwards 

Never nice to have happen John, for future reference all the truck guys swear by Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner to paint strip resin parts, I imagine it'd work for plasticard too. Applied, wrapped up and left to soak overnight. I've not seen any considerable plastic melt using Wilkos own brand paint stripper, but I've only used it on resin and injection moulded plastic parts, not styrene profiles. 

You're right Nigel, it is (or was!) a 454, hopefully I might be able to salvage something from it when it finally hardens again!

Thanks for the tip James, it's certainly worth a try if I need it in future....i won't be using thinners again anyway! The thing that I don't understand is why the paint reacted in the first place, it was the same thinners and paint used and everything was panel wiped prior to spraying, just one of those things I suppose...

6 hours ago, 844john said:

The thing that I don't understand is why the paint reacted in the first place, it was the same thinners and paint used and everything was panel wiped prior to spraying, just one of those things I suppose...

That's just the laws of spray painting John! I'm with you that painting is the worst part of a job, really does feel like a gamble everytime regardless of what prep work you do. 

18 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Never nice to have happen John, for future reference all the truck guys swear by Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner to paint strip resin parts, I imagine it'd work for plasticard too. Applied, wrapped up and left to soak overnight. I've not seen any considerable plastic melt using Wilkos own brand paint stripper, but I've only used it on resin and injection moulded plastic parts, not styrene profiles. 

I have a can of Mr Muscle I use for stripping chrome off plastic kit parts. Just pop parts in a plastic freezer bag and spray in....works in seconds with no damage to the parts. Have to admit , I’ve not used it remove paint, but it must work the same.

Other product I use for plastic and resin kits is Phoenix Precision  Supastrip. Good thing with this is it can be filtered (through a coffee filter paper) and reused.

1A05D65A-01DB-4F79-8981-E000796FA590.jpeg

Sorry to see the state of your 454 John,But thank you for reminding to look for an alternative to Nitromors,Which would not to powerful for Polystyrene anyway,But I have now found this stuff Slate Clean VHS,Which appears to be just the ticket "specially as you see him holding the part with his bare hand,?

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/200ml-clean-slate-paint-remover-plastic-safe-paint-stripper

Watch the wee tutorial video at the bottom.

Regards

Joe.

• 4 months later...

Bale sledge almost finished so I thought I'd put it in this thread with the baler. It's been a bit of a test but I wanted everything to work on it as per the real sledge. I'm wanting to weather it so that it's more like the condition of the one in the photo

23778178-584-640x640.jpg

WP_20200607_17_32_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20200607_17_32_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20200607_17_33_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20200607_17_34_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20200607_17_38_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20200607_17_28_32_Pro.jpg

6 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Lovely job John. I do love that baler!

Thanks Alastair, there's a couple of bits and pieces to add to the baler so that it matches the real one, then it's destined for some weathering along with the sledge

Thanks Nigel, no, nothing more done on that one. I think it's probably salvageable as a weathered/battered model, but it's sat at the bottom of a very long list of jobs at the moment!

We had a browns sledge and grab 

Blame britains for the first 16 bales

I went in on them head on to the side instead of length ways 

First time i ever saw the flat eight system in real life 

Archived