What's your latest General buy 2020

56 minutes ago, 844john said:

she'll look very tidy once she's done Alastair, and with those hours that engine's just run in! You're right about the size of tractor mind, in another thread it's been talked about what to put on the front of a seven furrow plough, a farm near to us did all their ploughing with two seven furrow kvernlands and they were pulled by a pair of new TW20's. Mind you, I do often spread fert with a 300hp New Holland which I'm sure could certainly be classed as over kill!:D

Yes John, it’s a very tidy basis to start with and a day or so cleaning will make a massive difference, the cab itself is in good shape too which is good news. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

she been a local tractor all its life then alastair  ? le tuckwells supplied maybe ? 

The people I bought it from had not had it from new, so unsure oF history. The plate would indicate Ipswich area, so quite possibly Tuckwell I guess 

ipswich area would more than likely be a le tuckwells one, which i would think would have come from worlingworth  at a guess, dont recall them having anything further south , they used to cover all of suffolk  back then, could poss find out via my uncle as he still works there , has done for 50 odd years now.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, Tractorman810 said:

ipswich area would more than likely be a le tuckwells one, which i would think would have come from worlingworth  at a guess, dont recall them having anything further south , they used to cover all of suffolk  back then, could poss find out via my uncle as he still works there , has done for 50 odd years now.

Yes be interesting to know where she is from Sean, find it funny that even in 1990 there was the odd person still buying a 2wd 90 odd horsepower  tractor, so limiting !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After about 5 years of debating whether or not I could justify purchasing one, I've finally bought a laser cutter! 

A second hand Laserscript 3060, 50W tube and a 600x400mm bed size. It should be more than capable of the jobs I have in mind. 

Having one to hand should allow for abit of experimentation and testing to develop kits economically. 

Took some doing to fit it in my shed, and takes up abit more room than I'd like, but to say I'm chuffed would be an understatement!!! 

IMG_20200810_084737.thumb.jpg.88002341c0bdfc6fd6d2af4d34395fe5.jpg

IMG_20200810_200812.thumb.jpg.1a46a14a5b4c43f6a057a84b9a41ca22.jpg

IMG_20200810_105033.thumb.jpg.73f9f7245ab31a304d1851653bd24b13.jpg

Hopefully not Sean, as far as detailing goes it varies with material type and thickness. A general rule of thumb is you can cut a slither the same width as the material is thick. For thinks like card and acrylic you can go thinner than that, because they cut well. Things like HIPS (plasticard) melt more than vaporise, so you can't get as clean/accurate a cut. 

A 0.5mm hole in cereal card, mount board or 2/3 mm acrylic wouldn't be difficult for this cutter I don't think. Just waiting on a material delivery to get some experimenting done. 

so in theory those vented livestock wagons should be a possibility with this then? can you adjust the laser head to go thinner and finer  if required, sorry dont want to appear nosey, just never really seen anyone with one bar big industrial ones in say the dockyard, where its not detailing required, its repetitive and precise every time needed . 

Yes, there's abit of science behind what you cut, so the Livestock vents and sides I have had cut by a different company with a bigger laser, that order is currently lost in the post, however they have re cut some vents for the build I'm already doing. They're cut from HIPS (styrene) which melts alot, so you use the air nozzle on the laser cutter to blow the melted material waya, therefore I'd have to upgrade the compressor on the cutter to cut the same as they are, hopefully a future upgrade. 

Just waiting on a material delivery to start seeing what I can and can't cut and how well. Very excited! 

The laser head can't be adjusted, as far as physics goes the laser beam is 0.01mm wide, so you could never go smaller than that, but the quality of lenses determine how much larger that beam becomes as the light gets dispersed, this laser is middle of the road. Better than the Chinese ones on eBay, but not as good as something you'd find in top level industry, they estimate once the laser beam has shone of all three lasers and gone through the magnifying lens at the end it is between 0.3 and 0.5mm wide. 

Really I have it for exactly the same reason as you've stated, repetitive tasks that are identical all the time, I can afford manufacturing tolerances of +/-0.3mm or so with the kits, which, I believe, is within this cutters ability. 

• 3 weeks later...

After years of abuse about my model collecting from the wife :wacko:, i have helped he buy her first one :D hopefully it will allow me to get a few more models as this one is bigger than any model i have bought in the past and a lot more ££££:wub:

IMG_20200826_171539.jpg

IMG_20200826_171528.jpg

IMG_20200824_193641.jpg

3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

next comes a horse then smithy ? this hobbies thing is getting expensive .

she already got one of them ,a Haflinger from Austria, had it a few years now but not trained to pull anything ,that was another reason for going to Austria back in April as well as going around the tractor factory the boss over there was arranging for the wife/us to go to a main Haflinger stud ,but do to the lockdown it was all cancelled , but you are right it is getting expensive:D  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

just back from a bit of early xmas food and drink shopping, well mainly drink,240 quids worth of larger, cider and various spirits plus 12 bottle of that girly Prosecco stuff, total price paid after my years worth of work fuel tesco points were used 39 pence :D shes not good at toting up as we go .

8 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

just back from a bit of early xmas food and drink shopping, well mainly drink,240 quids worth of larger, cider and various spirits plus 12 bottle of that girly Prosecco stuff, total price paid after my years worth of work fuel tesco points were used 39 pence :D shes not good at toting up as we go .

Puts my £2.50 worth of points to shame

1 hour ago, robbo said:

Puts my £2.50 worth of points to shame

surprised me, i have been putting 3 tanks worth in some weeks, roughly 200 odd quids worth ,so they soon added up, most weeks will be at least once . think she said shes got 40 odd quid with the coop as well, so thats going on wine i think .

8 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

surprised me, i have been putting 3 tanks worth in some weeks, roughly 200 odd quids worth ,so they soon added up, most weeks will be at least once . think she said shes got 40 odd quid with the coop as well, so thats going on wine i think .

At least if the pubs dont re open there'll be somewhere to celebrate....looks like it's all round to yours this Christmas Sean!;)

Archived