The new defender advert

just seen the advert for the new defender, think this is a bit disappointing not the fact it looks horrible. More the fact its base on safari and wild camping somewhere in the outback what about a clip with one been on a farm where it belongs, in a field with a farmer feeding sheep of something like that? British farmers kept them things going. Or even a game keepers shot. Something british like the hart of the lake district climbing up a mountain.its just a big school run 4x4 now. I do still like the old one better than that modden disappointing thing. It might grow on me but then most farmers have moved to pickups these days. 

You'll need deep pockets if you're fancying one, according to last months Farm Machinery Journal they START at £40,000, with the commercial ones coming in at about £35,000, yet another Chelsea tractor! I passed one the other day on the road back from Hexham, don't know if they're on sale yet or it was a press/test drive, but it was going like stink, too fast for the road we were on actually

There might yet be a market for them in the agri sector, Mitsubishi are pulling out of the UK and that means that the L200 Warrior/Animal pickup will no longer be available

2 minutes ago, robbo said:

There might yet be a market for them in the agri sector, Mitsubishi are pulling out of the UK and that means that the L200 Warrior/Animal pickup will no longer be available

:o:o:o Mind you, they are going the wrong way with their pickups, we have a series 4 that are abou 180hp( well, it was before its remap anyway), the latest model out is only about 140, I'm sure that difference would be very noticeable for trailer work.

11 hours ago, robbo said:

I was never a fan of the l200. Didn't like the way it drove. I test drove a animal this was years ago felt like it was all over the road. 

12 hours ago, Paul Palmer said:

dont know what the price is Lee,but cant see many farmers buying one,its a shame

To be fair the old style is still a lot of money. You look at lloyds there still asking 40k for the last ones off the production line.

Don’t get me going on these, I’m a massive landy fan but the new ones aren’t fit to wear the defender badge. All land rover have to offer now is a Range Rover and about 6 different discovery’s that aren’t worth half what they are priced at. Over priced and over complicated. I had hopes that the Ineos Grenadier would fill the defender gap but the more I see of it the less I like it. ( insert grumpy emoji)

35 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Don’t get me going on these, I’m a massive landy fan but the new ones aren’t fit to wear the defender badge. All land rover have to offer now is a Range Rover and about 6 different discovery’s that aren’t worth half what they are priced at. Over priced and over complicated. I had hopes that the Ineos Grenadier would fill the defender gap but the more I see of it the less I like it. ( insert grumpy emoji)

Have to say Martin, I echo entirely your comments!

9 hours ago, mb86 said:

yeah I was past lloyd garage the other day and they had a one sitting in the compound. I thinknit should have a kid badge on it or jeep just does not look like a defender. I think once they've been out a couple years I'd say they'll make z few drastic changes. My good friend works at llyds he's the parts manager and took me out in the top spec disco 4 when they were just about to release the 5 we had it up at Caldbeck fells it was a impressive bit of kit with the fancy 4x4 system. Rock climb lift on air bags and desent. But still just a Chelsea tractor in my eyes  

6 hours ago, L33 DA17ON said:

yeah even the old f reg ones are making good money.

They are also getting stolen with increasing frequency as well. The older Defenders have little or no security and the thieves have no trouble getting into them and starting them. If you do have one then please take extra care and use a steering lock or a gearbox lock and make sure that they are stored in a locked shed or garage.

As trisy’s post on facebook today shows, One nicked and all but a bare chassis , when found the same night afew hours later  in the middle of a maize  field All parts hidden in the field  for collection later, they got disturbed and fled leaving their own car( prob nicked as well) 

DEF217E0-B375-4E2E-B06C-A0595DB5F768.jpeg

3662D62B-B586-4769-82BD-FDE8A2EC3A22.jpeg

A5564C1C-FF61-45E0-A507-F2023608E5DC.jpeg

8492EBC4-5726-4806-8EC8-6E713734CE05.jpeg

Sadly there is a thriving trade in these amongst the "off road" enthusiasts who scour the shows and sort outs for second hand parts. Most of the parts on the Landys are bolted in place and easily removed and sold off in these places. This is only going to get worse as the stock of new parts from Land Rover begins to dry up now that production has ceased, they do have to keep a stock of spare parts by law for 10 years but, after that, they have no further obligation to do so.

I recently spoke to a farmer in Lancashire who had his defender stolen in January, he managed to source another second hand at a local dealer only for that to get stolen 6 weeks later. The second one had been in a shed that was padlocked but the offenders used bolt croppers to remove the lock and drove it away.

Hi-Lux or LandCrusier...only way to go ..Toyota are ranked the most reliable brand in the world. Remember the TopGear when they tried to kill an old Hi-Lux.!!!  Mitsi L200s ain't bad ether. Nissan Navaras have weak underpinnings by all accounts. I know a guy that bought a new Ford Ranger...abd his sorry he did ..Its giving terrible trouble. It's Turbo packed in after 4000Km. 

1 hour ago, justy 46 said:

Hi-Lux or LandCrusier...only way to go ..Toyota are ranked the most reliable brand in the world. Remember the TopGear when they tried to kill an old Hi-Lux.!!!  Mitsi L200s ain't bad ether. Nissan Navaras have weak underpinnings by all accounts. I know a guy that bought a new Ford Ranger...abd his sorry he did ..Its giving terrible trouble. It's Turbo packed in after 4000Km. 

Everyone has there experiences and opinions on trucks, mine are based on only what i have driven.  I have an old series 2A and have driven many a defender over the years and lets face it, you have to love them, there is no way i could do 30,000 miles a year in one.  I have now had 5 Rangers of varying incarnations and have to say i will be ordering another one this autumn - just my humble, but the best pick-up out there along with the Hi-Lux - which until it gets a 2.8L this year is woefully underpowered.  The last shape Navara was a good one - unless it was one which broke in two!  I had one of those and if they hadnt brought in  the new (and in my opinion ugly) version, i would have had another.

What gets my goat is that the new Defender has lost its heritage, will no way be economic for joe public or farmer to buy and is purely aimed at those who have more money than they know what to do with.  Land Rover are missing a trick not competing with the likes of Ford and Toyota, Ford alone sold 53,000 Rangers last year and a lot of those (like mine) are used for what they are designed for.  They clearly dont worry about volume sales!  All the adverts are so contrived and unrealistic it makes me cringe!

2 hours ago, AndyB said:

Everyone has there experiences and opinions on trucks, mine are based on only what i have driven.  I have an old series 2A and have driven many a defender over the years and lets face it, you have to love them, there is no way i could do 30,000 miles a year in one.  I have now had 5 Rangers of varying incarnations and have to say i will be ordering another one this autumn - just my humble, but the best pick-up out there along with the Hi-Lux - which until it gets a 2.8L this year is woefully underpowered.  The last shape Navara was a good one - unless it was one which broke in two!  I had one of those and if they hadnt brought in  the new (and in my opinion ugly) version, i would have had another.

What gets my goat is that the new Defender has lost its heritage, will no way be economic for joe public or farmer to buy and is purely aimed at those who have more money than they know what to do with.  Land Rover are missing a trick not competing with the likes of Ford and Toyota, Ford alone sold 53,000 Rangers last year and a lot of those (like mine) are used for what they are designed for.  They clearly dont worry about volume sales!  All the adverts are so contrived and unrealistic it makes me cringe!

Well the guy that blew a Turbo in the Ranger has been using them with the last year 10 years . He changes every 3 years. Before the Rangers he had Mazda B2500s which were much the same until Mazda discontinued them on the Irish market , so he changed over to Ford..He has never had issues bar the odd small thing until now with the latest model. 

you say that justin, but our lot have bought a load of hilux to replace the old landys we had, and they have had nothing but issues with them, same with the new iszuzu ones with cherry pickers on, at least two of the local Toyotas have had a new gear box, and one a new rear axel  ,all less than 2 years old and not huge miles on them.  nothing  is built to last now, like them old landys and toyotas were , even our latest ford transits are proving to be problematic, now they  built in the European factory's.  

5 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

As trisy’s post on facebook today shows, One nicked and all but a bare chassis , when found the same night afew hours later  in the middle of a maize  field All parts hidden in the field  for collection later, they got disturbed and fled leaving their own car( prob nicked as well) 

DEF217E0-B375-4E2E-B06C-A0595DB5F768.jpeg

3662D62B-B586-4769-82BD-FDE8A2EC3A22.jpeg

A5564C1C-FF61-45E0-A507-F2023608E5DC.jpeg

8492EBC4-5726-4806-8EC8-6E713734CE05.jpeg

bloody hell

4 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

you say that justin, but our lot have bought a load of hilux to replace the old landys we had, and they have had nothing but issues with them, same with the new iszuzu ones with cherry pickers on, at least two of the local Toyotas have had a new gear box, and one a new rear axel  ,all less than 2 years old and not huge miles on them.  nothing  is built to last now, like them old landys and toyotas were , even our latest ford transits are proving to be problematic, now they  built in the European factory's.  

They don't make them like the did. That's for sure. The old VW 1.9 TDIs were great units ...the latest 1.6 TDi...different story. Modern diesels can be a headache ..thats for sure.  But in my own hubble opinion. Toyota would be my choice..

most modern stuff is to computer driven now, prob to much, even in farming. i guess thats the future, a throw away ability rather than stuff that lasts. either way, wrong as it is, if they did the work that quick as a legal garage,they would make a fortune, even after taxes etc, people would pay for that speed with no worries 

54 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

most modern stuff is to computer driven now, prob to much, even in farming. i guess thats the future, a throw away ability rather than stuff that lasts. either way, wrong as it is, if they did the work that quick as a legal garage,they would make a fortune, even after taxes etc, people would pay for that speed with no worries 

You cant beat the older stuff Sean . Totaly agree. At work we have 3 VW Caddys and 2 Golf vans.  The older ones with the 1.9s are great yokes vs the 1.6s. We have 2 VW Transporters also . The older off the 2 has the 2.5 and is going strong , while the newer being a 19 year 2.0 has a dashboard that lights like a Xmas tree.:D. Then there is a 16 year Hi-lux with the 2.4 that cant pull that great and a 3.0L LandCrusier that's an animal ..but both  trouble free.  But my bosses baby is his 93 Landy defender. It's all kitted out for off-road with the oversize tyres and air snorkel etc. I must get a pic off it , it only got a respray a few months back.. He will never get rid. I mostly use the Caddys for my line off work there and prefer the older 1.9..

Archived