What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

Been a good week or so ,the generator i bought been sold on ,the tractor is also sold ,i could have sold it 6 times over by all the phone calls ,its gone to a local builder as he needs it to reinstate gardens  and the mower and grass-turner is on its way to Romania ,a lad working for Openreach around the London area came down with his father and bought it to take back to the family farm in Romania to cut the long grass on some steep slopes then they can turn it to dry and then feed to there livestock in the winter .   

IMG_20210405_121956.jpg

IMG_20210411_101520.jpg

IMG_20210411_144815.jpg

• Like 8

One of my neighbour's is in his eighty's and said he was going to take out old rotten wood around this little bit of garden and replace with some new 6 by 3 timbers but he was not sure he could lift them ,so i ended up doing it for him .Had to drag the stones back clear away some soil and rotten wood and bed new wood on a layer of sharp sand ,screw brackets on to hold it all together and then make good the stones 

IMG_20210501_172310.jpg

IMG_20210501_172333.jpg

• Like 6

We have a primary school just up the road from my farm and a few weeks ago i got asked if i would meet one of the classes and answer a few questions as they was doing a project on farming ,it was also asked if there could walk down my back field from the school and into the yard for a look about sometime ,anyway on Thursday they all walked down ,i got machines out and labelled up ,took me 3 days to get it ready ,cant show photos of the children but i think they had a good time .   

IMG_20210506_093931.jpg

IMG_20210506_094102.jpg

IMG_20210506_094117.jpg

IMG_20210506_094132.jpg

IMG_20210506_094218.jpg

IMG_20210506_094233.jpg

IMG_20210506_094251.jpg

IMG_20210506_094306.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments lads ,a few scary moments happened ,1 was when they all started to climb up the bales of hay in the shed and other one was one of the children got the lid of the sugar beet seed and they thought they was sweets ,allow i can confirm no children got hurt ,we did do a head count as they left just in case on off them was hiding up . I must also thank Mr Goodwin for supplying the goody bags at short notice     

• Like 4

I echo the comments above Smithy, this is what children need to see to help them understand where their food comes from. It looks like it has been a busy few days for you getting it all ready but I’m sure seeing them enjoy themselves made it all worthwhileI I was a bit annoyed the other day as our daughter came back from school and was telling us about a group discussion they had in one of their lessons. The teacher was hammering away on how bad agriculture is for the environment (it’s a rural school, and apparently she’s a vegetarian), so our Emily pointed out that at the start of the pandemic when travel was halted and all the planes were grounded the pollution and smog in most of the big cities cleared and the world temperature actually fell slightly, and yet farming practices hadn’t changed. Despite this, the teacher was still adamant that farming is the major cause of global warming and we should all stop eating meat. If this is what is taught in schools then what hope is there?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well done Smithy, credit where credit is due that was a great gesture for the local community, top marks that man, though are you going to get it going as an annual event? Next year a farm tour for the forum member's... Joking apart I'm sure it'll have been good for the youngsters to see things first hand instead of out if a text book 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Well done Smithy, credit where credit is due that was a great gesture for the local community, top marks that man, though are you going to get it going as an annual event? Next year a farm tour for the forum member's... Joking apart I'm sure it'll have been good for the youngsters to see things first hand instead of out if a text book 

ftf tour, will cost him more than orange squash and a biscuit, more like a free bar and a bbq 😄and poor goodie will clear cases stock of models for our freebie bag as well 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/9/2021 at 6:36 AM, 844john said:

I echo the comments above Smithy, this is what children need to see to help them understand where their food comes from. It looks like it has been a busy few days for you getting it all ready but I’m sure seeing them enjoy themselves made it all worthwhileI I was a bit annoyed the other day as our daughter came back from school and was telling us about a group discussion they had in one of their lessons. The teacher was hammering away on how bad agriculture is for the environment (it’s a rural school, and apparently she’s a vegetarian), so our Emily pointed out that at the start of the pandemic when travel was halted and all the planes were grounded the pollution and smog in most of the big cities cleared and the world temperature actually fell slightly, and yet farming practices hadn’t changed. Despite this, the teacher was still adamant that farming is the major cause of global warming and we should all stop eating meat. If this is what is taught in schools then what hope is there?

Thanks John , its a shame that some teachers only teach there views, we have a couple live in the village that are green party members (nothing wrong with green party in general ) but when i point out things to them they wont have it ,one thing i pointed out to them is that i have to grow my crops under the Red Tractor Rules and as soon as it leaves the farm it is mixed with products from other countries that are not grown to the same rules .   

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jmd said:

well done smithy bet the kids loved it , and well done for helping your neighbour too, looks like mr goodie had a hand it the goodie bags perhaps too

Yes they loved it ,they might come back bit later on and walk a few fields and view the crops ,yes Mr Goodie helped out  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Thanks Paul ,it saved the school  £150 by not having to hire a coach . That class will definitely be coming back at some time and if the staff stay the same at the school i expect another visit next year . 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

ftf tour, will cost him more than orange squash and a biscuit, more like a free bar and a bbq 😄and poor goodie will clear cases stock of models for our freebie bag as well 😄

Ok Sean you can have a fizzy drink and a Jaffa Cake 😁. If you are in the area and i am not really busy spraying or harvesting etc by all means call in ,that goes for any FTF members cant promise a bbq or goodie bag but might be able to get you a cuppa 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smithy said:

Ok Sean you can have a fizzy drink and a Jaffa Cake 😁. If you are in the area and i am not really busy spraying or harvesting etc by all means call in ,that goes for any FTF members cant promise a bbq or goodie bag but might be able to get you a cuppa 👍

spot on, make it a cherry jaffa cake and your on 😄

• Haha 1

I’ll tell ya all, I had a minor stroke a while ago (TIA) could have been a lot worse but this one left me with poor balance. I go to physical therapy a couple times a week. I am doing fairly well and as I said, I have seen a lot worse and I hope this is the last one. I still walk my dog and do some yard and house work. One of my friends died from a stroke and one was left with slurred speech. As of now, I feel fortunate at 76. 

• Like 4