What really PLEASED you?

I can sympathise with you on the itching Stan, I only have to look at barley or barley straw to start itching. I keep a pack of prescription only allergy tablets and cream in the house at all times just incase I have anything to do with it. Evil stuff that never fails to set my skin allergy to it off

Two and a half nice days away from work... with some good company... I laughed a few times until my face hurt... met some old friends across the waters.. made some new ones, bought, ogled and fondled some farm models... and went shopping for MF brochures... life just don't get any better than that really  :P

Happy days

And a special thanks to my 'fellow musketeers' for putting up with me.. and especially to Tris for taking some of the strain out of driving too  :-*

well thats me passed the Sprayer cert  tests...32 out of 33 in Pa1      and he said only a odd very minor thing to do with the workings and the pump of the sprayer......told me I was an excellent candidate too  ;D

Congratulations John! 8) I don't remember being asked specific questions about sparayer workings when I did the test though :-\

Congratulations John! 8) I don't remember being asked specific questions about sparayer workings when I did the test though :-\

thank you very much..yes I had already sat the PA1 before we started outside on the PA2 part......... we were warned that this assessor did like you to understand the plumbing of the machine and I got why when he explained his reasoning behind this.

It was  mainly safety.... :of ..........he`s a practical guy, a farmer ,and he said the risks associated with machinery breakdown were pretty high in terms of potential  operator contamination and pollution so if whilst in the process of using it, the sprayer happened to breakdown  and you knew how it works,ie where the relevant hoses go to and where they come from ,how the pump operates, what`s a suction hose, what`s a pressure hose etc,if you have to take it apart you know where the greatest risk of getting cotaminated comes from. Upon knowing how it works , a practical guy can "PERHAPS" fix it himself thus

avoiding travelling back to the yard with chemical mix in the tank,

without getting anyone else coming to fix it, who is likely to be less well trained in safety using pesticides....he added how many mechanics do you know that do this course,contaminated with spray,

avoid leaving a mix too long in the tank where it may settle or solidify  as in the jellying effect of some substances,

avoiding having to wait on someone coming  to fix it when you had ideal weather conditions given our  often rather small weather windows

.......... I sort of got his thinking. he referred to it in the  first section of the assessment under the part relating to and  here I quote from the assessment schedule..........

"Identify applicator controls and components, demonstrate knowledge of liquid flow,action of the applicator in filling,application and circulation modes"

that part was quite confusing for me  despite some training,given my no knowledge of using a sprayer ! It did show , well it was obvious to me anyway that I wasnt totally comfortable with all how the sprayer actually worked. I did tell him I hadn`t sprayed and that my machine at home was  very different to the one we had. He replied well that may be but basically most sprayers work on the same principals so your knowledge would be expected to transfer to most machines and it is part of the assessment that you should know how it works, see above quote......

he was fine however, we got on well enough,he was`nt too hard to please, for instance I never had to measure the 100m for calibration, nor did I have to measure out the bouts using marker poles as we were on grass (just using water)The sprayer has no foam marker ,no GPS on the tractor and no tramlines to follow, I just explained how I would go about measuring it out. I never had to clear a blocked nozzle,no filter check and no re check of the flow rate to achieve the exact amount he asked for as the minute calibration test didnt match the required flow rate  I was asked for.It was a marked difference at 0.88 l/min compared with the 1.2 required. I said well we could adjust pressure, slow down or change the nozzles which I`d prefer to do given its quite a large change needed and the latest label recommendations for the product we had been given now state we shouldn`t exceed 2.5 bar (  Barclay gallup 360) this wasn`t on the label example we were given to use for the assessment. got a bit of a nod and a wink for that extra info  ;D

on giving advice to anyone else going to do it I`d say go for it, it`s not horrendous  but be well prepared..... do remember the old adage  PERFECT PLANNING PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE

There was a bit of a thaw this afternoon, so I decided to take the opportunity to head down the local Londis to stock up on firelighters, heineken and top up the credit in the mobile before we get snowed in.

Got down there, spotted that they had one copy of the January 2011 Classic Tractor on the shelf, and promptly forgot the firelighters, heineken or phone credit.

Managed to get the car back up the hill to the farm before I remembered why I went down there in the first place.

Really pleased with the Classic Tractor though, and delighted the local shop now stocks it.

Not so pleased that I'm going to freeze to death, whilst sober, and I can't phone for help.

the damage to the collection isnt as bad as i thought, only 3 that are a real concern, all avaiable still so may swap them, couple have dried out a lot better than i thought, inc my white xerion which i thought was buggered and mymf 5480 to, which along with the xerion dont look to be any different now they have dried

thanks, it was quite challenging as i was doing it on compacted snow so the manitou was sliding all over the place, im surprised they didnt call it off but it was fun

Well done there. Is the Manitou easy to learn on?

Another day off work ...but its a holiday or work a day at the weekend to make up..on the bright side went to post a letter and had a pub lunch and a couple of pints since well it was snowing for the walk home ;) ;)

After starting to clean out my grans attic so it can be insulated we came across some boxes of old britains toys that were used by my dad and uncle, along with some posters. On closer inspection i found some good models like the Bomford superflow, vicon acrobat, trailers, multi-level elavator, forager (orange), 2x Ford 5000, 1 MF 135, 1 MF 135 industrial, disk harrow, 2x rollers (1 red, 1 green), 2x balers (1 Bamford, 1 New Holland) and a Shawnee Poole dump trailer to name quite a few. The posters were of a County, a Massey 30 drill, a Massey 128 baler and a Massey 625 combine.