Ebay... Crazy prices... useful links etc.

THEBRITFARMER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I put a Schuco John Deere 7800 on ebay recently, it was the latest in a long line of re-releases of a familiar model, which I had tried to change to a 7810 by use of a badly cut out sticker.  I considered removing it and putting it on in original form but I decided to leave it on, thinking the buyer could always remove it if so intended.  But I was fully aware it was a model which was still available and wasn't expecting to retire on the proceeds.

I was astonished when it shot up to £160 but I also wondered if it was a time waster as I'd already blocked someone who messaged saying they would pay £20 for it and then upped their offer to £150 and £200.  Then there was a bid retraction, so it dropped to £112 (still too much) and then it went up again to £160, same high bidder who had previously withdrawn their bid.  Then they ask if they can pay after their holiday, which I wasn't best pleased about but said if they did win it and couldn't pay straight off there wasn't much I could do about it.  Then they ask why I am selling such a rare model - I tell them its not rare, and then they want to cancel their bids which I do - then it drops to £38!  Then just before it finishes it starts rising again but the winning bidder doesn't want it because they'd been outbid and had bought the model elsewhere!  So it ended up being relisted.

The moral of the story (if indeed you've got this far) is: always read the description!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, trigger82 said:

I contacted Cheffins and pointed out that their online catalogue was pretty naff. In several cases the description of the lot did not match the accompanying picture. They thanked me for pointing it out and have sorted it out now! I will be bidding on a few models.

• Like 1