Simons New Holland TM 155 - FINISHED??? Almost!!!

That's coming too mate, I was thinking that last night... I need to ferret out some old model sprue to stretch out....

Does anyone else use that technique... ??? It's a 1/35th military thing really, warm some sprue [the frame you pull the parts off] with a lighter, then stretch it out, goes lovely and thin and springy but stays vertical, used to use it on radio shacks when I built Tamiya Jeeps as a kid. I'll post it up when I do it for those who haven't seen it before  ;)

I'll also whack a beacon on it of some sort but I'm not overly fussed on that right now, might wait til Spalding to pick one up... not long now  ;);D ;D

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh thanks Barry, and you're a real credit to your parents....  ;);D:D

It's coming together REALLY F*IN SLOWLY but it'll be done soon... :P

If I can find someone who has a display who'll take it, I'll stick it out on a table at Spalding, maybe Trissle can have some contractors in... ???

Ahh thanks Barry, and you're a real credit to your parents....  ;);D:D

It's coming together REALLY F*IN SLOWLY but it'll be done soon... :P

If I can find someone who has a display who'll take it, I'll stick it out on a table at Spalding, maybe Trissle can have some contractors in... ???

It won't be on display for long  ;)

You can trust me right  ;)

Thanks Ad, might try a green one next.... ;) Although why you need me to when we've got the likes of the Petes, Paul, Ian, Jez and Mark... they're the boys for the Deeres!

Course I trust you Barry, why wouldn't I  ??? Besides, you're too 'big and oafish' to be stealthy  ;):D :D

Thanks Ad, might try a green one next.... ;) Although why you need me to when we've got the likes of the Petes, Paul, Ian, Jez and Mark... they're the boys for the Deeres!

Course I trust you Barry, why wouldn't I  ??? Besides, you're too 'big and oafish' to be stealthy  ;):D :D

:-[:-[ :-[

Thanks mate  ;):D

Thank you very much everyone!  ;D

Yes, worked a treat Sean, thanks. I did get everything really warm though, left the tins by the Rayburn for ages and the parts too, it dried practically on contact using really light coats, and I built it up to 6 or 7 coats which has got quite a nice finish on the bonnet. The roof panel and floorpan are less good because I f*d about with them too much trying to get the process right....

Glad you're all enjoying it, I can almost see an end in sight now! I was going to put a poll up to get opinion on whether to weather it or not but I think I need to do it to cover up the c*ck ups...

You reckon Rich? I don't think I'd go as far as Fendthead has on his 818 but I was thinking a bit of strategically placed rust & dust on the linkage, steps, mudguards, rims etc, maybe a bit of shine on the grab rails & step treads ? Nothing too heavy, just to hide the bodges  ;):D

You reckon Rich? I don't think I'd go as far as Fendthead has on his 818 but I was thinking a bit of strategically placed rust & dust on the linkage, steps, mudguards, rims etc, maybe a bit of shine on the grab rails & step treads ? Nothing too heavy, just to hide the bodges  ;):D

ah i get you i thought you were going to cover it with mud etc  :-[ but that makes sence now simon  ;):) the rust and shining will make it look even better  :P

very nice indeed mate some more machines to come from this shed in the  future i hope

Cheers Pete, should be plenty more coming in the future don't you worry.... ;)

She's prefect Simon,you should be proud of her mate  :);)

Thanks Peter, I'm pretty happy with it as a first attempt, few things I wish I'd done differently but it's been a good learning process.

Mmmm I'm not totally convinced Simoooooonn  :-\

Although I love the airbrushed used look and it would look brill but after all the time you have spent I recon you should keep it as is..include the little blotches as character  ;)

I reckon leave it as it is also ;)

ditto

Thanks for the input, glad I didn't put a poll up though!!!  :D :D

I've been partly convinced, it will remain 'clean', I'll just do very minor detailing where it's in need of touch up then  ;)

Started making the field lighting last night, took me about 3 hours to make one top light. Not tres happy with the final product so I'm going to re-do it and make the full 8 in a different way.

I tried laminating 3 layers of the clear plastic together, stuck some tin foil on the back, then cloaked the back and sides in black styrene and filed to shape. Unfortunately my fat fingers got all stuck together and the lens isn't immaculate. It was also a bit big so when covered in black it's all a bit on the large size. You remember those retro fit worklamps you used to put on older tractors - Rubbolite ??? - looks about that size so a bit big for a modern lamp.

Going to do the next ones in mostly black with 1 layer of clear stuck on afterwards, will let you know how that goes  ;)

That's coming too mate, I was thinking that last night... I need to ferret out some old model sprue to stretch out....

Does anyone else use that technique... ??? It's a 1/35th military thing really, warm some sprue [the frame you pull the parts off] with a lighter, then stretch it out, goes lovely and thin and springy but stays vertical, used to use it on radio shacks when I built Tamiya Jeeps as a kid. I'll post it up when I do it for those who haven't seen it before  ;)

I'll also whack a beacon on it of some sort but I'm not overly fussed on that right now, might wait til Spalding to pick one up... not long now  ;);D ;D

ME, I use that technique have done for a long time ( CB areal on fendt) it's great but works best with black plastic for some reason ;D. If you want to weather it, only do a little like you say, If you have the Tamiya weathering sets use em, not to good for mud but you can very slowly build up a worn look on bits and bobs, it's a slow job but due to this it's hard to over do it, Also you can use a soft silver artists pencil for worn steps etc. with the mud you are prity commited once you start :o best left to an expert :D :D

sounds like those lights are some full on commitment :o

Looking really well and FWIW I reckon you should keep her 'showroom' after all the time you've spent  ;D

Thanks John, but the showroom has already been left behind....  ;) It's not been plastered, just a bit of strategic where it tends to lurk even when clean... doesn't look too bad....

ME, I use that technique have done for a long time ( CB areal on fendt) it's great but works best with black plastic for some reason ;D. If you want to weather it, only do a little like you say, If you have the Tamiya weathering sets use em, not to good for mud but you can very slowly build up a worn look on bits and bobs, it's a slow job but due to this it's hard to over do it, Also you can use a soft silver artists pencil for worn steps etc. with the mud you are prity commited once you start :o best left to an expert :D :D

sounds like those lights are some full on commitment :o

Thanks Dave, that's the spirit! As you say, the Tamiya sets mnake it very difficult to over-do it. Never thought of a soft pencil, will pick one of those up, it's the silver in the sets which is the least effective so that might be the perfect solution....

I was going to make a few more field lamps for it this evening  but I'm going to paint the sitting room instead...  ;)