Walter Derwent's Harvest Action

The Tractor Twitcher

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the most reliable machines aint always the best looking mate, the older kit can sometimes be far more abused and keep working compaired to a high tec lexion ect at times

Very true Sean. I've visited a lot of medium sized farms over the course of harvest that are happy keep running older combines rather than have money tied up in a much more modern machine that to all intents and purposes does exactly the same job.

On another note, i've just thought of another Massey Ferguson combine that would be right at the top of my "holy grail hit list," the big rotary 8590. There' definitely at least one still working in this country as I remember it being featured in Classic Tractor a few years ago. :)

that cant be to hard to track down i would think, i know of a guy this way who rents kit out to local farmers, his combines are 3 x old claysons , rusty but sill going, along with various old stuff fiats fords , trailers are all old, doubt anything hes got and rents is newer than 1985, anyone whos gone through the glynn valley on the a38 in cornwall will have seen his stuff ,cant miss it all scattered round the field there

You've managed to capture some great pictures over the course of the summer David.

That 865 brings back memories as one of them was the first combine that I ever drove, all be it for not very long as before I could have another go on it she self destructed (straw walkers snapped in half) and was replaced by a Dominator 118sl.

that cant be to hard to track down i would think, i know of a guy this way who rents kit out to local farmers, his combines are 3 x old claysons , rusty but sill going, along with various old stuff fiats fords , trailers are all old, doubt anything hes got and rents is newer than 1985, anyone whos gone through the glynn valley on the a38 in cornwall will have seen his stuff ,cant miss it all scattered round the field there

I'm fairly certain the 8590 i'm referring to lives in Northamptonshire somewhere Sean. Same chap running it also had a slightly more modern version on evaluation too. I'll have to try and find out which issue they were in.

That sounds very similar to the agricultural engineer who has a fleet of old Claas combines he rent's to local farmers around the coast near Whitby. Whilst there's one or two large farms, the fields are predominantly a lot smaller, not really big Lexion territory. I captured his Dominator 86 and 108 in action on the neighbouring farm to Paul Stevenson earlier in the summer. He also has a 96 and an older Senator too.

i really must try and get to this place and get some pics, some lovely old kit there, all ripe for meassurements and pics for builds, went past yesterday and i saw a tw30?? or similar, bubble cab parked up ,not seen that one there before , and i am sure i can see a county or two up the top near the farm, one with a bush wacker on

You've managed to capture some great pictures over the course of the summer David.

That 865 brings back memories as one of them was the first combine that I ever drove, all be it for not very long as before I could have another go on it she self destructed (straw walkers snapped in half) and was replaced by a Dominator 118sl.

Thanks ever so much Gav, appreciated. I've really enjoyed chasing around the countryside this summer with my camera. I've met some really fantastic people only too happy to allow me the freedom to take photographs of their combines and it's been great as always to share my efforts on here. :)

Great to here the big 865 brings back memories for you, even if they were short lived. I still think they're one of the most impressive looking combines around. They look like they've come straight from an American prairie. :)

The last time I encountered one prior to seeing the restored example in action at that working day was this one parked in Renault Agriculture dealer Browns at Hunmanby on the east coast.

MF8651_zps0b87e9dc.jpg

i really must try and get to this place and get some pics, some lovely old kit there, all ripe for meassurements and pics for builds, went past yesterday and i saw a tw30?? or similar, bubble cab parked up ,not seen that one there before , and i am sure i can see a county or two up the top near the farm, one with a bush wacker on

Sounds like an Aladdin's cave of fantastic older kit Sean. I'll look forward to the photographs if you have the opportunity to take some. :)

• 7 months later...

Whilst harvest is still a little way off commencing. Here's brief update with a combine i've never seen before lurking on a farm near York. I think it's a Claas Dominator 68. It's definitely the smallest Dominator i've discovered on my travels.

P1310660_zps9fecddc2.jpg

• 1 month later...

At last! My first harvest discovery of 2013. With the weather looking rather inclement close to home I followed the Sun to the east coast and all the way over at Patrington near Hull discovered this New Holland CR8080 knocking down winter barley today before the heavy showers set in.

P1340070_zps6277d638.jpg

P1340073_zps04aa2991.jpg

P1340074_zps8bd059bc.jpg

P1340075_zps18991d75.jpg

P1340077_zpsc3b7ff06.jpg

P1340080_zps5f7a8b98.jpg

Nice to see you back in action in the corn fields this year David 8)  Hopefully you'll be able to capture some nice machines again.

Thanks ever so much Niels. 2013 certainly has a lot to live up to given the amount of combines I was fortunate enough to capture in action. It's only really just started close to where I now live. Travelled quite a distance to find this machine in action but it was worth it. This was the first time out for this particular combine having being bought to replace a CX8080 on a 30 foot header. It's replacement is running equipped with a smaller 25 foot table. :)

Seen a few machines out round Scarborough last few days. Look forward to following your pictures again this harvest.

Thanks Pete. Really looking forward to making the most of any spare time and decent weather over the course of this years harvest. Noticed a few had made a start over towards the coast. :) 

good to see your first action shots of harvest David,makes me want to go out combine hunting with my camera this august

Thanks Jamie. Whilst it was only a brief encounter before heavy showers intervened it was still great to find a combine in action in an area I haven't taken all that many photographs before. It was also great to find a combine I hadn't captured before, this being the first CR 8000 series combine i've discovered. Certainly can't wait to get out and about again once the weather improves, and given my change of locations it will also be nice to explore a few different areas this year over harvest. Can't wait! :)

Whilst the weather has been rather damp today it's given me a chance to sort through some of the photographs i've taken the last two afternoons i've been chasing around with my camera. 

With very little action taking place on my favourite "hunting ground" the Yorkshire Wolds on saturday ( other than several combines being fettled in farm yards ) I headed back towards home and had a very enjoyable photographic encounter close to the M62 near Howden.

It turned out to be a pair of 8 year old New Holland CR980 combines harvesting a massive 140 acre block of swathed O.S.R with Shelbourne Reynolds pick up headers serviced by a Case IH Puma 210 and Horsch UW160 chaser bin. This was the first time i'd seen both pick up headers and a chaser bin in action, and they made for a very impressive sight.

Here's the first of the two CR980 combines making very swift progress through the O.S.R which was coming off at just below 9%.

P1340089_zps70a63e28.jpg

P1340090_zps880955b1.jpg

P1340099_zps6394752f.jpg

P1340114_zps46f67471.jpg

P1340116_zpsfa69a90b.jpg

P1340160_zpse6022e12.jpg

With heavy showers around on Sunday afternoon I wasn't sure whether anyone would be harvesting, however inspired by my efforts on Saturday I headed to the same area, which is just a short drive up the motorway. With the Sun doing it's best to sneak through the clouds I discovered this impressive pair of Claas combines tucking into the headlands of another massive block of O.S.R. on a 4000 acre estate.

Taking centre stage were this Claas Lexion 770 Terra Trac and an older 480 machine.

P1340201_zps364f974f.jpg

P1340203_zpseef62312.jpg

P1340213_zps679dea8d.jpg

P1340209_zps0a72ee93.jpg

Here's individual shots of the 770 Terra Trac in action. This was the first time i'd captured one of these hugely impressive combines working having discovered one parked up in a field close where I used to live back in 2011. Seen alongside the big Claas was a wonderful looking and sounding Case IH 1455XL yoked to a Richard Western trailer.

P1340202_zpsc35afafd.jpg

P1340221_zpsd59c10e8.jpg

P1340234_zpsb282429f.jpg

P1340233_zps23610329.jpg

P1340239_zps485a44be.jpg

P1340262_zps4160d609.jpg

Archived