Walter Derwent's Harvest Action

The Tractor Twitcher

Nice to see some Deere combines :)

Thanks Barry. Always nice to try and capture a wide variety combine manufacturers, and specific model numbers over the course of my harvest travels. Delighted to have captured this pair of Deeres in action, especially having photographed pairs of New Holland and Claas combines in action this year. I'm very keen not to repeat myself too much this year. After the huge volume of combines I found last year in action i'm being a lot more selective in the combines i'm endeavouring to search for this year. :)

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unusual combine and tractor combination (JD and MF) I would have said - or is that more common up your way?

I must admit Oliver i've only just started exploring this area of North Lincolnshire so I can't really say whether it's a common tractor / combine combination or not. That said every other time i've found a John Deere combine to photograph until this discovery they have always had John Deere tractors leading away from them. :) 

Unusual combine and tractor combination (JD and MF) I would have said - or is that more common up your way?

whys that ol??? pretty common to see say  lexions with jds hauling away, and I can certainly remember a lot of mf hauling from jds around east Anglia when I was younger, infact I bet its still the case now with some if I was there now,

some great pics there david, so far bar one combine way across the valley I haven't seen one working at all this year, and another unexpected 2 weeks in the office may well have put paid to that now to :  :

some great pics there david, so far bar one combine way across the valley I haven't seen one working at all this year, and another unexpected 2 weeks in the office may well have put paid to that now to :  :

Thanks ever so much Sean. I've had some very enjoyable trips out so far chasing after combines. Hope to be out and about again towards the end of this week if this virus / chest infection i've picked up goes away quick enough. :)......A lovely old classic Massey up next. :)

wow some amazing pictures there David wish the weather would take up over with us to see a few combines working.

Thanks ever so much Robert. Really pleased with how some of my recent efforts have turned out. Forecast looks promising for this week so I reckon there will be plenty pressing on around here. I probably could have photographed a lot more combines than what I have on my travels so far, but i've bypassed quite a few other Claas Lexions and New Holland CR machines in an attempt to find other combines i've yet to cross off my "hit list." :)    

whys that ol??? pretty common to see say  lexions with jds hauling away, and I can certainly remember a lot of mf hauling from jds around east Anglia when I was younger, infact I bet its still the case now with some if I was there now,

Definitely seen lots of Claas and JD combos but just can't think of a time I've seen JD combine with MF tractors. There's a farm near me with an MF combine and JD tractors though.  

love the fergies David,what were the tractors drawing away from them?

Thanks Paul it was very nice to catch up with this pair of combines working opposite each other.

This was the tractor and trailer combination awaiting the 565. A Massey Ferguson 3060 and Foster Load Master trailer.

P1340771_zpsdca78a83.jpg

There was a Case IH Maxxum MXM190 parked at the side of the field with 38 but for some strange reason and very unlike me I failed to point the camera lens at it.

That first set of sunset shots are incredible :D some great finds and great pictures to do them justice :)

Thanks ever so much James, appreciate your very kind comments. Desperately trying to capture as much variety as possible over the course of this harvest. I've an immaculate yellow machine on the way next in the shape of a combine that has been very close to the top of my "hit list" for a number of years now..........a New Holland TF78 Elektra. :) 

Thanks Paul it was very nice to catch up with this pair of combines working opposite each other.

This was the tractor and trailer combination awaiting the 565. A Massey Ferguson 3060 and Foster Load Master trailer.

P1340771_zpsdca78a83.jpg

There was a Case IH Maxxum MXM190 parked at the side of the field with 38 but for some strange reason and very unlike me I failed to point the camera lens at it.

thanks for replying David,that is a rareity,you failing to take a picture David,not keen on the 190?

thanks for replying David,that is a rareity,you failing to take a picture David,not keen on the 190?

You're welcome Paul. Whilst you're right it's certainly unusual for me to miss out any machinery I find on my travels I seem to recall it being parked in an awkward place on the headland for decent lighting. Hopefully i'll see it again completing some land work when visit that area again. The last time I photographed an MXM190 was many years ago on demonstration at Cereals. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Rather quiet on here David. Busy with taking photographs? ;)

Just returned home after partaking in one of my other interests Niels. I've been down on the Wiltshire / North Dorset border since thursday at one of my favourite music festivals. As a little aside the Icelandic band Sigur Ros should be on everyone's bucket list. The best live music performance and headline act I have ever witnessed! Lots more photographs to post up to here from combines i've photographed prior to my weekend away, whilst i'm still hoping to capture a few more in action prior to harvest finishing. If not then i'll be on the look for more impressive and unsual tractors ploughing, cultivating and drilling. I've still nearly 2000 silaging photographs to sort through too when I find the time to properly go through them all. :D

Ok well won't blame you. Agreed, Sigur Rós is quite good. Looking forward to your pictures. I assume you'll be photographing Paul as well with the new 5288 this year?

Oh, btw. I said earlier a friend of mine was working near you. I've asked him and he worked in Market Weighton at a chap named Andrew Manfield. Don't know if that rings a bell?

Ok well won't blame you. Agreed, Sigur Rós is quite good. Looking forward to your pictures. I assume you'll be photographing Paul as well with the new 5288 this year?

Oh, btw. I said earlier a friend of mine was working near you. I've asked him and he worked in Market Weighton at a chap named Andrew Manfield. Don't know if that rings a bell?

Amazing band and an incredible live performance, so pleased to have seen them. :) I'll aim to have most of my most recent machinery finds posted up in their entirety very soon. He messaged me whilst I was away as he had the "new" one working alongside his combine in wheat over the weekend. Whilst it's unlikely i'll have that opportunity this harvest i'm still looking forward to capturing the tractor at work in due course. ;)

Haven't heard of the name you mention Niels, but I do know the area around Market Weighton quite well. Travelled around that area on several occasions with my camera. :)

Archived