The Great Trailer Debate. Split from Sorry Looking Kane Trailer

MJB1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there s afew farmers usin the chassic of a six and eightwheels bulk grain lorries . cut the chassic behind the cab put a draw bar on and away go.there s a company beside me draws a artic bulk tipping trailer behind the tractor on a fifth wheel bogie. straw as well. good education on how to reverse.

that is some seriously nice looking piece of kit Chris  :of

thanks mark, currently have silage sides off for barley and was hauling dung with it last week and will have to again next week as the draw bar fell out of our 4t marshall  :D:police:

that is a good idea intey.

I wouldnt say this topic has turned into a whats the best topic, other opinions are available,  its a discussion about whats around in the trailer market, it must be an interesting topic otherwise it wouldnt have so many posts?????

i would say a trailer in whatever form grain,silage, bale etc is the 2nd most important part of farm equipment after the tractor, but is the most neglected, abused, least maintained,  piece of equipment on most farms???????

Nice one Chris... Don't tell me about problems with your 4t marshall... I've just treated myself to.. invested in one  :of

DSCN0101.jpg

here is my Bailey.. had it about 4-5 years now I think.. worn out one ste of tyres only... so it's not done a huge amount of work...

DSCN0002.jpg

and last and by ALL MEANS least... the nasty old Griffiths...

DSCN0103.jpg

Not sure what those black things with horns are mind you  :of:-[

My thoughts...there is a trailer for every job and you buy what you require. I bought a new one recently and was amazed by the differences in steel thickness - floors from 2.0mm to 4.5mm, sides varied by the same - axle size and manufacturer, brakes, hitch quality etc.

The volume differences in a '10tonne' trailer are large too.

So if you want a light trailer purely for hauling silage (for example) it will be a different beast  to one which will haul grain on fields or a 40k trailer mainly doing roadwork where stone or gravel is hauled.

i would say a trailer in whatever form grain,silage, bale etc is the 2nd most important part of farm equipment after the tractor, but is the most neglected, abused, least maintained,  piece of equipment on most farms? ??? ???

Would agree on a lot of farms that is true but now with, say, a 5 t trailer with 14 t on board travelling at 40 k it cannot afford to be badly maintained - and there's no excuse. I tend to think that there's not  a lot wrong with a well maintained PUH and eye as the trailer should tow well and be doing it's own braking.

I have a 22year old AS Ace trailer which has been treated well and is still perfect, I did buy a Griffiths second hand and the sides bulged with a load of wheat - it's gone. Also have a Marshall QM  which is very heavy, good volume, tows well but the paint is a bit poor.

That load transfer idea is available with rear discharge spreaders I believe, some anyway. Another way I thought of could be to hydraulically raise the chassis from the rear most axle, this would alter the load distribution when tipping and effectively raise the first axle from the ground. This would also reduce tyre wear when running empty.

The Fastrac has the best towing capability due to the wieght it can transfer to it's front axle. Towing vehicles need wieght (and have it distributed better) to improve handling and counter the wieght of the towed machine when braking.

Hence the axle payloads on triaxle trailers over 6x2 tractor units.

with a trailer for every need a hook-loada system makes sense, one chassis, various bodies. The initial cost would be high but would save in the long run.

I havent seen any around in ag use but then its all grain, beet and tates around the fens.

I havent seen any evidence but would a half-pipe reduce damage to potatoes when unloading?????

with a trailer for every need a hook-loada system makes sense, one chassis, various bodies. The initial cost would be high but would save in the long run.

I havent seen any around in ag use but then its all grain, beet and tates around the fens.

I havent seen any evidence but would a half-pipe reduce damage to potatoes when unloading? ??? ?

I understand hook loadas on lorries but not on tractors, right various bodies, 1 tractor to pull them all on one chassis, what happens when you want a body shifted and someone is away with the chassis with another body 20 miles away??

Need another chassis

so  if you have 4-5 normal trailers in the yard i'd hardly think the hook loada system is practical

there is a guy down here who did use hook loaders for a while on sewage cake and stuff, but he seems to have got rid now and is back  to various trailers, all different makes, inc bailleys wotton, 1 redrock, nc think his only maine make is marston for his silage trailers, and i noticed the other day he seems to have got rid of half of those now for nice big rollands, inc a few tri axel ones

I did look at hookloada trailers earlier in the year.. if there was a litle more money in the waste business I'd invest in a system.

If you could leave the trailer at a farm and pick it up once a year if would save on baling time.. sadly not enough to warrant such a big investment.

I also like the idea of having different bodies... such as low-loaders, dumpers, grain trailers

what are you trying to sugest here? the real ones are selling like hot cakes the countrys full of them must be something good about them!!! less of the smartness please

no smartness on my behalf or suggestion of anything , but then you being 16 years old your experience of trailers is obviously far superior to mine  ::)

no really i don't get it , half pipe trailers have been around for years just wondered where the sudden interest for them came from

no smartness on my behalf or suggestion of anything , but then you being 16 years old your experience of trailers is obviously far superior to mine  ::)

no really i don't get it , half pipe trailers have been around for years just wondered where the sudden interest for them came from

youve seen a halfpipe silage trailer in britian then before?

no i haven't but rather than sit back & see how well they fare with farmers & contractors alike for a while , it seems they're all the rage without a decent time trial , so what happens in a few years time , when contractors swap them in for conventional trailers because  they cant carry the volume ?

i really only wanted to know what had happend to suddenly see a great wave of enthusiam for a  trailer design that had been about for a fair time ?

the design has been there but never in a silage trailer form, kane then released it  about 3 years ago, they become very popular in the south of ireland because of stenght, lightweight and volume it could carry, the word has really spread in the past year or two and thats why there is so much chat about them ;) 

i saw a kane silage trailer recently, in the uk, just outside plymouth ,it looked brand new, and if i was totaly honest it didnt really look any different to me other than the shape,i can understand the less welding in that shape, but it didnt apear ground breaking in design or much else

i recon its got less steel in it, so less work to make, hence lower cost to the makers, but they sell them at similar or higher prices to normal trailers so make more dosh truth be known

the design has been there but never in a silage trailer form, kane then released it  about 3 years ago, they become very popular in the south of ireland because of stenght, lightweight and volume it could carry, the word has really spread in the past year or two and thats why there is so much chat about them ;)

ah thats all i wanted to know  :)

Could some of you Kane enthusiasts post up the specifications of a 12t or 14t halfpipe with silage sides please? I want to compare them properly to others'.

I can't really see too much of an advantage with them. A bit like sticking your shirt collar up or having twin beacons if you ask me.

Indeed Tris, I can't see any advantages to them at the moment either. Tried to find some  including steel thickness on the Kane ones yesterday but couldn't, would just be interesting to compare it with a conventional Bailey or Western of the same size :)