Gritting Rigs

James T

Think most depends on the council and the amount of snowfall gritting they have to do in a year

Aberdeenshire council have quite a large fleet scanias and DAFS mixture of new and old with angled and vee ploughs. Also have some snow blowers as well gritters are mostly ECON bodies also have some transit mounted ones as well for use on housing estates. Have a fleet of Kubota mini tractors with ploughs and gritters for pavements. They also have 200 farmers in the region contracted to clear roads they all have vee ploughs.

Lincolnshire run 43 gritters (I've mainly seen Merc Actros with ridge bodies and a water tank) which apply pre-wetted salt to about 2000 miles of roads. They use a one way blade on the same vehicles for keeping the main routes clear of snow, with back up from a number of local farmers with various types of equipment to keep the minor roads clear.

I've never managed to get any pics as they always seem to come past in the dark  ::)

i cant understand why more councils dont use Mogs alot more versatile than lorries and hold their value aswell?

One of the contractors that Lincolnshire use for verge mowing does use a few Unimogs, but to be honest, the way they lurch about on the soft Mog suspension looks less than ideal for that job to me.

My knowledge of them is very limited though -Would a Mog handle a salt and water gritting rig, and a blade??

yes Ploughmaster a Mog would comfortably handle a gritter and blade/blower, and very often do in other countries.

There is a long wheel base version which has a higher load carrying capacity and you can also get kits for the springs to reduce the travel, which is just a spring inside a spring but makes hell of a differance to the ride.

Alot of people think theyre just a fancy 4x4 but theyre so much more, i dont think there is any other machine used for so many different operations.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested, James although I've no photos to show. Wiltshire have a varied bunch of Daf, Foden Merc and Iveco 4 and 6 wheelers. One way blades if and when required. Landrovers which the Parish Wardens have also have gritter demounts and blades. Aswell as Unimogs which are a wasted effort for a Council who just don't use them enough and employ a verge trimming contractor

Apparently in Scarborough they are using sand from the beach to grit the pavements so they can conserve the salt for the main roads because supplies are running low. As for gritting vehicles around here its's largely 3 axle Mercedes and M.A.N trucks with spreaders and front blades, some are also 2 axle tippers with gritting bodies mounted inside the tipping body. The council yard in Pickering in years gone by used to run some impressive looking Magirus Deutz trucks as gritters. I did see a rather interesting snow blowing machine drive through Helmsley as I got into work at just before 6am this morning, it's been a while since I saw one of those, no idea of the make though.