What was the worst job(s) you had on the farm?

Rick

Not strictly on the farm, but when I worked at the cattle market I used to hate hole punching the ears of the the sheep sold for meat, talk about a bloodbath, the punch was very blunt and I was always asking for a new one, it was worse when you hit a vein or the sheep moved and you took a bit of the ear, end of day covered in blood Clagged up with s**t and teared with the yellow paint they daubed. Never liked sheep, but used to love working with the cattle.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about nine years old. Us kids were ordered by Dad not to watch a difficult calving. We disobeyed, hid, and regretted it, it was conjoined twins with one body and a divided head with two muzzles. They came out of the cow in pieces after being carved up with what looked like a long bit of cheese wire.

My Dad was really angry when he realised we had seen the whole thing and we got the job of pushing the wheelbarrow full of afterbirth to the poo pit. He was good at fitting the punishment to the crime!

Sorry to be gruesome but I have never forgotten it. :(

I know that would be an image that would stay with you for the rest of your life, especially seeing it at such a young age. I can always vividly remember  at a very young age the first time I saw dad skinning rabbits at the Kitchen table, when your older you dont take as much notice.

the worst for me was throwing tyres on the silage clamp, havent done it for 20 years and have no intention of doing it again.

The other worst job is preparing a seedbed  after somebody that thinks they can plough.

I actually enjoy working with sheep as long as there is a good dog handy.

I like working with cattle but not Limousins has to be the maddest breed in the world!!!!!

will you northern boys need a return one mind  ;D ;D  thought i had herd the term "neeps" on here before just could not remember what it ment

You eat them with Haggis and tatties Sean ;) ;)

But also it is not what we regard as turnips south of the border as swede and turnips are the other way round [img alt=;)]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/wink.gif

But also it is not what we regard as turnips south of the border as swede and turnips are the other way round [img alt=;)]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/wink.gif

Talking of swedes and or neeps I know a chap who put the following on the back of his new Scania

Built by a Swede ...driven by a neep

The owner also farms but his driver was not to happy being referred to as a neep ( fool ) ;) ;)

Anything to do with grain dusty job irritating,, give me Dehorning anyday

as yearlings or 10 week old calves used to love it not only did we always have a laugh doing it but we where aiding a better welfare for the beasts as

ive seen first hand what can happen to bulls ect if the still have horns

when they get trapped in feed barriers (very bloody and painfull too)

not to mention a danger to workers and other beasts

being in a hay loft was bad aswell with an elevator feeding bales to you and you are having a time keeping up your feet fall in holes crevices that slows you down

all the time the bales are pileing up  :-[

oh and fencing in the winter wind and rain outside no shelter horrible  :-[:-[ :-[

Anything to do with grain dusty job irritating,, give me Dehorning anyday

as yearlings or 10 week old calves used to love it not only did we always have a laugh doing it but we where aiding a better welfare for the beasts as

ive seen first hand what can happen to bulls ect if the still have horns when they get trapped in feed barriers (very bloody and painfull too)

not to mention a danger to workers and other beasts

This happened to a young heiffer soon after i first arrived at the farm. We think it got nervous about being butted by an adult while feeding and pulled its head out too quickly. Remarkable how quickly they grow them back though!