New Border Fine Arts MF390 with Mower coming out... limited to 750

What a great shame the bonnet is so badly wrong on this model. I like what BFA do and they are a good company, but if only they had bothered to get this checked before it went into production.

It is unfortunately the same with UH, another force to be reckoned with, who also make a few slip ups here and there. On the latest Doe Show Super Dexta model, I noticed that instead of having an alluminium Fordson badge on the side of the bonnet, the model has a decal, which was in fact used on the later blue/grey version of the Super Dexta.

The frustrating thing is, little faults like this could so easily be picked up if they bothered to speak to someone who was knowledgeable on the subject. There is really no excuse for this sort of thing.

RD

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a great shame the bonnet is so badly wrong on this model. I like what BFA do and they are a good company, but if only they had bothered to get this checked before it went into production.

It is unfortunately the same with UH, another force to be reckoned with, who also make a few slip ups here and there. On the latest Doe Show Super Dexta model, I noticed that instead of having an alluminium Fordson badge on the side of the bonnet, the model has a decal, which was in fact used on the later blue/grey version of the Super Dexta.

The frustrating thing is, little faults like this could so easily be picked up if they bothered to speak to someone who was knowledgeable on the subject. There is really no excuse for this sort of thing.

RD

I agree with that statement 100% Rory... bang on..

Problem is... we, the consumers, don't 'vote with out feet' ... BFA have a captive audience really.. as so UH to a certain degree as well.  As you say... if they used the services of someone in the know... like you for instance... they would alleviate these niggly problems and provide their 'punters' with a more accurate end product.

I must say, in fairness to UH I think they are realising this now.. but while the till still goes 'bing' then there is little incentive to get it right.  For us it's a passion... for BFA and the likes of UH it's pounds, shillings and pence - pure and simple it appears  :-\ :'(

I don't know it it was Ray Ayres the master sculptor who did the initial mould for this figurine but I suspect not given it is a Studio Edition.

I have met Ray on many occasions at Border Fine Arts events but he doesn't take kindly to criticism which is a shame really since constructive criticism can only lead to improvement if folk are prepared to think about what went wrong in the past and endeavour to change things for the future. Mind you as long as collectors keep buying there is a reluctance for the manufacturer to actually think hey we maybe did get that model wrong.

Anyway once I get my model I will be reviewing and getting in touch initially with the Border Fine Arts Society to see what they have to say on my comments and also comments from fellow model tractor collectors.

You are so right, Lord F. Sometimes, all it takes is a call, an image and maybe 10 minutes to check to see if something is correct in terms of its appearance. It is just so easy to avoid a major blunder like, for example, the UH MF 135 based on the Banner Lane collection model.

Neither is it acceptable to expect someone who has worked at MF for a few years to know what was correct 40 years ago. 

That's perhaps where some of the cottage industry model builders like DBP and Classic Combines, not to mention Imber Models, do perhaps have the edge, because they are closer to the market and do their research so very thoroughly.

I feel very strongly about this accuracy business.

Sadly.... That's the real deal... had mine out of the box tonight and it's pretty poor actually  :-\ .. I've never been a fan of BFA anyway in all honesty... but as far as accuracy goes - this one is not good.. but the good news is that it's heavy enough to make a good bookend .. or even an office doorstop  :of:D :D

They have made the mower nicely mind you...  :-\ obviously it goes without saying that I've taken you some pictures to look at... uploading to PB as I type this waffle...

right then... here it is... I must say I'm not that impressed really.. the grass doesn't look much like grass... the painting is pretty poor... not really worth the £162 plus VAT price tag in my opinion...

Positives.... nice and heavy... some of the mechanical detail is quite good too... I think mine is going on eBay when they have all sold out - it's gone back in it's box now and will live in the loft me thinks...

DSC_3466.jpg

DSC_3469.jpg

DSC_3470.jpg

Oh dear...

DSC_3472.jpg

DSC_3473.jpg

they used to be made at langholm if I remember correctly.........can`t remember when the manufacturing was "out sourced" to China........We took some  household stuff to auction .there were a lot for sale there  and we asked about them.........Obviously our farming connections the animals in particular are quite handy presents so are sometimes on the look out for bits and pieces.We were told the chinese made ones arent worth half what the older scottish ones are......perhaps just a point to note if some of you guys are looking for an investment

Well all I can add is that I am not a Massey expert but if I was a BFA collector I would be pleased with the model. If I had not read this thread I would be none the wiser as to whether it was right or wrong, I wonder if this is the case with most of the people who will buy it?

Well I am like you too Scott and am no Massey Ferguson expert. I am sure there will be lots of collectors of Border Fine Arts will in fact buy it and if not MF experts I'm sure they will be none the wiser. For me it is difficult to know if I would have related the model to the photo of the MF 390T I took in the 2008 harvest or not had "tractorbob" not originally raised the point.

Thanks for doing that Rob ;) ;)

I forgot to add... I didn't realise there things were made in China either.. and also the red is wrong too in my opinion... far too orangy

things = Studio = made in China but figurines = Classic = made in Langholm or Carlise Mark.

Again I can take up the colour issue of the shade of red when I get mine and make contact with Border Fine Arts.

do you think is worth investing in one? i really like mf 300 series but bonnet looks so wrong on this model, i do collect bfa thoe, who knows for 2years time price wise :-\

Well I think only you can make that choice about to buy or not....as for the price on two years well its like the stock market it could go up or down. I'll be paying my money and taking my chance since well I'm sure I have blown that kinda money on worse things in the past ;) ;) 

they used to be made at langholm if I remember correctly.........can`t remember when the manufacturing was "out sourced" to China........We took some  household stuff to auction .there were a lot for sale there  and we asked about them.........Obviously our farming connections the animals in particular are quite handy presents so are sometimes on the look out for bits and pieces.We were told the Chinese made ones aren't worth half what the older Scottish ones are......perhaps just a point to note if some of you guys are looking for an investment

John there are two types of Border Fine Arts figurine made. Classic and Studio. The Classic ones are the more expensive ones and these are all limited in number. These are sculpted and molded and made in Langholm but  production may actually now be in Carlisle.

The "cheaper" Classic ones are still sculpted and initial mould made in Langholm but production is actually done in China. These models are not usually Limited but I assume this MF390 is because Massey have commissioned it from Border Fine Arts.

thanks Andy... I think, in light of Bills mathematical answer I've now seen the light = I am doubtful it they will make much, given the inaccuracy + the off colour + the price tag.  ;) ;)

Mike... save your money is my advice, for what that's worth  :)

as for the inaccuracy.. I suspect anyone who has the slightest interest in this particular 390 model will spot the bonnet error a mile away - I don't think you'll need to be a nerd like me to spot that  :-\

The model looks wrong whit the bonnet i think you better buy the DBP version and put that in front of the mower!

But if you look at it this way: It looks almost like a steepnose tractor!.............. oops now the massey police is after me :police:

What a shame. Apart from it being (in others' words) unbelievable, unacceptable, dissapointing . . It's a shame.The 300's were the end of the line of great stockman tractors of the 5,6 and 200 series and has a fond, strong following. Getting something as obvious as that wrong, by a team who craft these things with their own hands beggars belief. I'm not a BFA collector, I think they are an old mans equivelant of porcelain dolls. I do like the livestock pieces but not so much the machinery. Given the price it more than justifies why I am posting something to Mr Perdue today . . . :P

John there are two types of Border Fine Arts figurine made. Classic and Studio. The Classic ones are the more expensive ones and these are all limited in number. These are sculpted and molded and made in Langholm but  production may actually now be in Carlisle.

The "cheaper" Classic ones are still sculpted and initial mould made in Langholm but production is actually done in China. These models are not usually Limited but I assume this MF390 is because Massey have commissioned it from Border Fine Arts.

thanks for clearing that up Bill I`m assuming thats what they meant then about the chinese ones being cheaper, they should be cheaper being not limited editions

No problems John I though I would just clarify since I have seen and heard folk "mouthing off" at auctions an this is sometimes purely a ploy to put off prospective buyers of a certain piece they want for themselves ;) ;)

The thing I would say about buying a limited edition model is make sure the certificate comes with it and the painter one too if applicable and also the original packaging. All these things make it an original Border Fine Arts "Classic" figurine.

On packing that is one big big difference between a Studio and a Classic Model too. The cheaper "Classic" one is boxed in horrid polystyrene whereas the classic figurines are in "sponge type stuff" covered in a kinda of tape. Sorry for the terrible descriptions but I'm sure pictures will explain better ;) ;)

Here is the packaging for

"Clearing the Culvert" a limited edition of 500 which was issued in 2009 and is a Classic Border Fine Art -  B1164

03102009023.jpg

03102009024.jpg

03102009025.jpg

And now packaging for a "Studio" Border Fine Art

A8918 Lightly Rolled

25022010005.jpg

25022010008.jpg

25022010010.jpg

When you say material do you mean the "resin" or what ever they use to cast the models Scott ??? ??? ...if so I don't think so.

The main difference is the studios tend to be a smaller scale and less detailed implements attached.

The one thing you will always find with Border Fine Arts is there are always animals or birds or even vermin ( e.g. a rat in building Britain)  in the figurines which adds that extra life like touch ;) ;)

The rat in "Building Britain"

BrownSiteDevelopment2.jpg

The seagulls in "The Fergie"

TheFergie1.jpg

The collie dog in "Tipping Turnips"

TippingTurnips2.jpg

An Oyster catcher in "The III A"

The111a1.jpg

The sheep in "Frosty Morning"

FrostyMorning1.jpg

The Ayrshire cows having a nosey in "Laying the Clays"

LayingtheClays2.jpg