New cattle shed for 2013

Well james i have plenty room to go all around the layout but was finding it hard to reach into middle of layout and shed to i made a access panel in the middle of the farmyard..i cut one of the panels and put hinges on it to open it..my layout is up 30 inchs or so off the ground so i just pop up through the access panel to do anything..i fixed on few tractors etc onto panel with cable ties to they stay in place every time i use it..

Access panel door open

http://DSCF6866_zpsc511808b.jpg

http://DSCF6867_zps3e012311.jpg

You can see the tractors etc. fixed onto panel 

http://DSCF6868_zps08a01265.jpg

more great work Brendan, always look forward to more pictures being posted on the topic, what size of wood are you using for the beams, I have a router at home I have never used, but you way will be alot cheaper than plastic, I'm building a new 12x6 shed in the summer(real one) for building my models in and I am planning on building a display in it too, so you idea for beams looks the best bud :-)

more great work Brendan, always look forward to more pictures being posted on the topic, what size of wood are you using for the beams, I have a router at home I have never used, but you way will be alot cheaper than plastic, I'm building a new 12x6 shed in the summer(real one) for building my models in and I am planning on building a display in it too, so you idea for beams looks the best bud :-)

Thanks mark..The timber I buy is called 2x1 or 50mm x 16mm x 8ft long...I cut in into strips of 16mm x 8mm for the beams which I know is not to scale but looks the part..i end up with 4 lengths 16mm x 8mm... so in total I have 32ft of beams for €2.50..i use a 12mm flat router bit to make the design...And all it takes is time

it doesn't need to be to scale Brendan, just fit your layout space ,none of mine are to true scale, otherwise I would need next doors loft to ,if your went to scale you would need a barn of your own to get it into :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:,looking good I must say, cant keep up with all the updates,

it doesn't need to be to scale Brendan, just fit your layout space ,none of mine are to true scale, otherwise I would need next doors loft to ,if your went to scale you would need a barn of your own to get it into :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:,looking good I must say, cant keep up with all the updates,

I think I better stop at 11 bays for now the shed alone is taking up 6ft but the room I'm in is 18ft x 18ft so we'll see...

the building is coming on a treat brendan , not sure if is the same in your area as ours brendan we put in large tanks as the darys collect every over day and pay a premium to the farms that do this ,you will need some room in the tank for expansion of the dairy all these model farms expand beyond belief , keep posting the pics regards graham

Farmer woke up this morning and when straight out to check the damage done after the storm last night...And there was some damage done to the new shed..the boys putting up the shed hadn't enough supports on it to keep it steady 

http://DSCF6881_zpsafe6a82f.jpg

But then the farmer spotted the 820 in the middle of the shed and  BOB jumping off it...was it the storm that knocked the steel or was it STORM FORCE BOB that did the damage.......

http://DSCF6884_zps803313a1.jpg

• Like 4

the building is coming on a treat brendan , not sure if is the same in your area as ours brendan we put in large tanks as the darys collect every over day and pay a premium to the farms that do this ,you will need some room in the tank for expansion of the dairy all these model farms expand beyond belief , keep posting the pics regards graham

Might as well make the tank as big as I can so, maybe the farm will be milking over 200 cows in a year so might aswell have plenty of room..have to get a piece of pipe now to make the tank

Jumping mother pearl that would of gone down with crash, health and safety premiums will be 1/2 the milk cheque shortly.

That's true alright ol...there is plenty more paper work for the insurance company to be done after this week again. . . will there be any end to it while bob is around? ????

You have got a really good shape to that ladder. Your soldering is really neat, out of interest do you use a electric iron or a torch?

Thanks..the shape of ladder is the what's on the tank I'm copying and looks ok so far..i bought a electric solder first but it was too small and wasn't hot enough for the solder..i then bought a small gas one and its plenty hot and very fast

Thats interesting, the iron I have is an 80w one with a flat end to it and i don find that its not hot but, the joints are just a mess and take a lot of filing to look neat. But i see your using copper, where as i only had steel at the time so would that make a difference? Also I am forgetting that it could just be me!  ;D  

The new sheds looking well! That milk tank is a good size too, how many liters is it?

Thats interesting, the iron I have is an 80w one with a flat end to it and i don find that its not hot but, the joints are just a mess and take a lot of filing to look neat. But i see your using copper, where as i only had steel at the time so would that make a difference? Also I am forgetting that it could just be me!  ;D  

Were you using flux, or a flux cored solder? This can be a cause of the solder going everywhere, it almost just rolls off the metal.

This is a gate I made a long time ago and it seemed to work at the time and is still together now?

As far as the flux goes I have a little pot. ???

001_zpsef3d4c71.jpg

looks ok to me..i clean up the solder using a metal file and some sand paper before painting too and it gives a better finish