Tyres on various tractors developing a white residue

bigbear

Today, I opened one of my cabinets to look at some of the Britains tractors in there and was greeted by a vinegar like smell. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the tyres on several tractors have a whitish residue on them. I can wipe it off, but am a bit worried about what it might be and if it signals the possible demise of my tyres!!!

There are only Britains tractors in the cabinet and the ones affected are John Deere 4020, both versions and some of the Ford tractors - 5000, 6600. Has anybody got an answer to this and will I like it :-)

Cheers,

JP

Ive noticed the same thing on a few Britains tractors too. Them being the, Ford TW-10 & 20, MF 1505, JD 8440 & the Ford 7000.. The TW-20 is the worst..

Strangely enough ..my own 2x 5000s ..both norm & yellow Industrial version are ok as is the  cabless 2wd JD 4020 John.. 

So it is a strange occurrence John .. Id like to get an answer also.  ;)

I am sure this has come up before , good while back and I think it was mentioned that it was the release agent from the moulds that seems to react , or stay on the tyres . Comes out after a while , just can not seem to find the topic it was in now unless it was on the old server and never made it across in the switch

I am sure this has come up before , good while back and I think it was mentioned that it was the release agent from the moulds that seems to react , or stay on the tyres . Comes out after a while , just can not seem to find the topic it was in now unless it was on the old server and never made it across in the switch

Is it a cause for concern Sean do you think or is it nothing to be worried about..? 

I honestly can not remember what the verdict was now, it does wipe off from memory but over time comes back I think , seem to remember someone mentioning wiping the tyres down with soapy water like you would when you resin cast before painting as that broke the agent down ?? But it was a good while back now this came up

I have the same issue as well mainly with Britains models and a few Ertl. The new Ford TW are the worsed by far!! Oddly enough the older Fords are fine here and also the articulated tractors and JD 4020. Can wipe it off easily but does come back every time? Well the older models from Britains also have issues mainly with the rims melting.

That's it exactly! I also have the same problem with some of my Doctor Who figures, (guilty secret...), which have a thick creamy coating after a couple of years. This does wash off too, but is creeping back. I'm just a bit concerned that it's a plasticizer from the actual plastic or something that is leaching out, because of the vinegar smell I got, but until somebody gets a definitive answer, I guess it'll be down to washing them off and ventilating the cabinets every now and then! Just got to hope that the plastic isn't going to disintegrate sooner rather than later... (A good opportunity for somebody to market stable replacement tyres?) :)

Sean, do you have enough contact with Britains to ask them a direct question about this, please?

That's it exactly! I also have the same problem with some of my Doctor Who figures, (guilty secret...), which have a thick creamy coating after a couple of years. This does wash off too, but is creeping back. I'm just a bit concerned that it's a plasticizer from the actual plastic or something that is leaching out, because of the vinegar smell I got, but until somebody gets a definitive answer, I guess it'll be down to washing them off and ventilating the cabinets every now and then! Just got to hope that the plastic isn't going to disintegrate sooner rather than later... (A good opportunity for somebody to market stable replacement tyres?) :)

Sean, do you have enough contact with Britains to ask them a direct question about this, please?

jon,just go to tomys website,i have contacted them several times,and allways get a reply,or i can ask for you,but better to ask them your self mate

not personally john, but as paul said just e-mail them direct, I have been looking for the topic when I can and I can not find it , but am pretty sure that the white residue was put down to being the release agent ,not a break down of the tyre material like the older models do

I think I remember that thread too, but can't remember what was said... age has disadvantages, it seems! I've emailed Tomy/Britains and have so far received an automated message to acknowledge my email. I'll let you all know what happens next.

I can't really believe that it's a breakdown of the plastic, as some of these models are only a few months old.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I emailed Tomy just after the advice above came in and got a computer generated acknowledgement, but nothing since. Looking on other toy forums it generally seems to be regarded as either a problem with mould release agent residue, or some sort of rubber decay. I'll just clean mine up and hope for the best, I guess...

the release agent doesn't effect the rubber from memory dave ,it just doesn't come off properly, sure simple hot soapy water worked as well as any else , I know when I resin / rubber cast stuff that's all I do for paint etc, sure scaledown kits tell you the same info to

• 4 weeks later...

" ho hum"  mmm you sound like santa john :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

These days, I LOOK like Santa too - in fact I have two bookings to BE Santa before Christmas! The perfect excuse NOT to lose weight until the new year!

• 6 months later...

Archived