The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

Well after her first outing to the local Chipping Steam Fair a couple of weeks ago :), all appears well and the run to and from gave her a stretch of her legs, Didn't really know what to expect really as first time I'd shown a tractor, half expected a lot of comments from the rivet counter brigade commenting what's not right about it but was surprised as never heard owt much too negative, had a few comment on the badly worn balls in the lift arm ends, but most were positive about seeing a new exhibitor and exhibit. Did follow up on a contact given at the show over a set of rear wheel weights for her, and went for a look after work one night earlier in the week, but being polite I declined as they were badly pitted and looked crustier than a crab's arse..... would have taken a good sand blasting and many a tub of isopan to get them to look at least half in keeping with the rest of her..... even though she isn't a concours job hahaha :laugh: At least new ratchet and pawl kit came this week for the handbrake, as although the handbrake works fine and releases well it can be a bit of a sod to apply, so that's on the to do list now the bits are here :) Other than that I've noticed there a road run at the end of July, so might look into that for a bit more information.

IMG_2230.JPG

My mum's three legged poodle Sam, seems to have taken a liking, as previously he'd been a Fergy fan of my uncle Jack's 35x......

IMG_2140.JPG

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

Well things have been a bit up and down in the Valley of late (no pun intended) :laugh: but the Major has now gained a bit of assistance in the form of a after market power steering kit, not a bad kit really and easy to fit, makes the tight shunts down at the yard that bit easier, and also helps take the shock out of some of the rough bits of Lancashire highway :) Sorry about pic quality, taken on my phone.....

And then had her out for a run to give her a good test in the September sunshine, only real issue was a slight weep on the return to tank line but once given a nip up it cured itself, also the check chains have had a bit of a refurb after getting replacement turnbuckles off Patrick Edwards, so only real thing that needs attention at the back end is the lift arm ends, as the balls are a bit baggy, Further work on the pick up hitch has been slow but got the main pivot bushes now machined up on lathe so perhaps over winter i'll get on with it.

Photo0359_001.jpg

Photo0361_001.jpg

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Got chance to get her out for a run for a couple of hours on New Years Eve morning :)  Was a fairly enjoyable 20-odd mile tour of the Valley just takes a bit of getting used to being over taken by Bradley Wiggins wannabe's hahaha.... to be fair it was only the odd cyclist that thought they were faster than her.... but she got her own back on the hills :laugh: Called in at the enterance to our local showfield for the pic, The way time is moving on, it'll soon be time to bring her back here in May for the show...... No Major issues or problems to report, She's running well 8)

Photo0464.jpg

• Like 7

Had her out again on Sunday for a few miles and burn abit more diesel after the mist and fog started to lift out of the Valley :) Was rather surprised as though there wasn't much drying it wasn't as damp as first expected. Spotted a like minded bloke out for a run Fergy, could have been a 165 heading back toward town. New Agriline parts catalogue dropped through the door on Monday too, though not looked at it yet......  

Photo0466_001.jpg

• Like 8

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:51 AM, Valley Axe Man said:

Had her out again on Sunday for a few miles and burn abit more diesel after the mist and fog started to lift out of the Valley :) Was rather surprised as though there wasn't much drying it wasn't as damp as first expected. Spotted a like minded bloke out for a run Fergy, could have been a 165 heading back toward town. New Agriline parts catalogue dropped through the door on Monday too, though not looked at it yet......  

Photo0466_001.jpg

Good to see you are blowing the cobwebs of it , it certainly looks nice  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, smithy said:

Good to see you are blowing the cobwebs of it , it certainly looks nice  

Cheers Smithy, She might not be pristine but she's tidy enough ;) Have to admit that I'd been neglecting her at the back end of last year so one of my New Year Resolutions was to get out on her more rather than her being just sat in the shed :)  

11 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Smithy, She might not be pristine but she's tidy enough ;) Have to admit that I'd been neglecting her at the back end of last year so one of my New Year Resolutions was to get out on her more rather than her being just sat in the shed :)  

That's what I say about the wife :):rolleyes:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get her out for a run again yesterday, and took in a 25 mile circular route around the Valley, if you look closely behind the steering wheel and pre-cleaner in the distance you can just make out the outline of Pendle Hill in the mist and fog :) (sorry about the quality of the pic, I did set off with my camera for better photos but never checked the battery before setting off :-) I appear to have an issue with the right hand sidelight and taillight so next trip to the shed will see that looked at, must just be a bad connection in the lamp as a blown bulb wouldn't cause the taillight to go out..... other than that she's all good :)

Photo0473_001_001.jpg 

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, jmd said:

hope you were wraped up well paul it were a bit fresh out over weekend :)

It were warm enough in the 3M sponsored flexi-cab (yellow Jacket);) :laugh:  It weren't as cold as I thought it were going to be John, the coldest part of the trip seemed to be along the backridge road between Waddington and Bashall Barn, but rest weren't that bad :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A little update, Think the New Years resolution sort of fell by the wayside..... Weekends seem to be flying by and freetime seems to be abit thin on the ground but had her out the other week and took her for tour and tackled the climb of Jeffery Hill, stopped at the top to take in the view looking back over Chipping from my dad's final resting place, She climbed the hill no problem but it cleaned her out and blew a few cobwebs from the stack ;)

Photo0506_001.jpg.add9582cee883a095376eb273eec60fc.jpg

And down at the yard..... bit of a fleet photo ;)

Photo0512_001.jpg.de181e49d792f1ecf6e456dce94f4c29.jpg

Hoping it'll not be too long afore she's out and about stretching her legs again burning a bit more diesel :)

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Bit of a clean down and wipe over ready for her first show of 2017 this weekend, the weather's looking good, last year she was one of 200 tractor entries, though i not sure how many are booked in for this year, there's at least 92 others as i've been given number 93 ;D hopefully some photo's from the weekend to follow ;)

News update.... could be a little damp for the first day of the show.....showers expected for Saturday..... but hey-ho what will be will be, 

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Well this years resoloution really fell by the way side, of giving her plenty of road but she did get out a time or two over the summer, can't quite remember over the past couple of months when this pic was taken, but i do remember having a tour over the fell to Newton and stopped in Dunsop for an ice cream,  One of Uncle Bob's twin scoop Banoffee with a flake and sprinkles ;)....

Photo0635.jpg.2fb3b7cf8762a67c7d6a0734f3925771.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 months later...

As one or two of you on here already know that a couple of weeks ago i moved my major on to a new home, She hasn't gone too far but has gone out of preservation and back into a bit of work amongst some firewood and a bit of woodland management. Moving her on allowed me to release a few funds towards a new toy......... although the funds should have really gone toward a long term project thats high on my list of things to do and even higher after recent events but thats another kettle of kippers...... but there's possibly something that i've had my eye on for a while now, so i might try and strike a deal whilst the irons hot......hopefully more update soon ;)

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I'm sure she will be well cared for in her new home and good to hear she will be getting some light work. Maybe the new purchase is a massey?:ph34r: or it might not be a tractor at all, hovercraft to cope with recent weather?:D;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Could there be a County on the way Paul or maybe a Nuf !! Looking forward to seeing what it is . The Major looked to be a fine example ...at least it's still near home & getting s bit of a workout ! ;)

Time will tell what it is Justin ;) Cheers wasn't concours but tidy enough to park on a rally field, had some fun with the Major but as they say you can't have or do everything the decision was made to move her on, She still might get washed off and taken to our local show by its new owner but last i heard she was away down the woods on the estate with a 3pt linkage skidding winch pulling timber.....

16 hours ago, mb86 said:

I'm sure she will be well cared for in her new home and good to hear she will be getting some light work. Maybe the new purchase is a massey?:ph34r: or it might not be a tractor at all, hovercraft to cope with recent weather?:D;)

Hahaha i like your thinking but sadly no to both counts Martin.... From what you were saying about the almost swamp like conditions you've had these past couple of weeks, maybe a hovercraft might not be such a stupid idea.....could have it on hire to you then;) Even though i get the drive of my uncle Jacks 35x when he's short of a driver to get his tractors home from his local ag show i wouldn't be going down that route...... red really isn't my colour :D

Taken last August afore we set off with the 35, the dexta behind and a 135...and it started to put an odd spot or rain down.......

imgID123374252.jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.53afbf4b536299c227f56c002b6a3402.jpg

• Like 4

The trouble is, it's the wrong shade of red Paul;) I have to say, you are a stronger person than me, i just can't bring myself to sell a tractor, now buying them, well, that's a different story.....:D Hope whatever you replace her with gives you as much enjoyment!:)

Edited by 844john
  • Like 2

On 14-4-2018 at 6:26 AM, Valley Axe Man said:

As one or two of you on here already know that a couple of weeks ago i moved my major on to a new home, She hasn't gone too far but has gone out of preservation and back into a bit of work amongst some firewood and a bit of woodland management. Moving her on allowed me to release a few funds towards a new toy......... although the funds should have really gone toward a long term project thats high on my list of things to do and even higher after recent events but thats another kettle of kippers...... but there's possibly something that i've had my eye on for a while now, so i might try and strike a deal whilst the irons hot......hopefully more update soon ;)

That was quite a decision to make then Paul. But in the end it will work out well. I know you enjoyed the Major and what ever the new purchase (is it a purchase?) will be: enjoy!

• Like 2

Could certainly do with one mate, the heavy showers we've had over here tonight have made the ground sodden again.  

Great pic and a beautifully restored massey. Think ther might even be a photo of me on a non ford similar to that somewhere. Is that a new holland hoody?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 844john said:

The trouble is, it's the wrong shade of red Paul;) I have to say, you are a stronger person than me, i just can't bring myself to sell a tractor, now buying them, well, that's a different story.....:D Hope whatever you replace her with gives you as much enjoyment!:)

Cheers John, to be fair i don't mind a Case, the yard where i had the major stored for almost 2 years had a pair of 956's, one had been blown with a TB Turbo kit, sounded beastly :) I'm sure what's in the pipeline will be just as fun

9 hours ago, stehos said:

That was quite a decision to make then Paul. But in the end it will work out well. I know you enjoyed the Major and what ever the new purchase (is it a purchase?) will be: enjoy!

It's a purchase Jack, though should probably be a purchase to earn me money rather than what i'm actually looking at ;)

8 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

i recon hes wandered of and bought one of them bowler wildcat landys so he can get to work quicker, and gets an extra 10 mins in bed from it to :D:D .at least she wil get looked after ,and used a bit to, prob wont look as clean mind 

No not a Bowler Sean..... be a fun toy but no :D

5 hours ago, mb86 said:

Could certainly do with one mate, the heavy showers we've had over here tonight have made the ground sodden again.  

Great pic and a beautifully restored massey. Think ther might even be a photo of me on a non ford similar to that somewhere. Is that a new holland hoody?

Cheers Martin, aye Jack's Fergy's and dexta are all well restored,  Hell there's nowt up with your eyesight.... yep it's a New holland  hoody but that's not a clue either hahaha :D

• Like 2

• 2 months later...