Big ford and and Push pull ploughs

mb86

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

Same one I have to fit on my JD 4240 if I ever finish it :-[

They looked the right style I was after and are for big classics so hopefully they do the job.

I will probably add some chains to hold the arms at the right height in work as front links don't have any depth control.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they wont hold that much weight for sure, but I have mine holding up front weight s and smaller bits ok, the way to do it is use very small screws. I used some from a broken uh front loader I had ,the ones that hold the self levelng arms, and bits like that in place, they are al self tapping, so once in they held the arms up, aided by the rams no problem.

The plough is quite a heavy model for the links so I'll probably have to do something like that. 

The plough comes with their own top link which I want to use instead of the marge/artisan ones. They are adjustable and have a very fine thread which is mostly pained. The link end won't screw over the paint, what can I use to take the paint off? I don't want to force it and neck it off. 

• 1 month later...

I got a bit more done to this last night. I had a brainwave with the front linkage. As those of you who have used the artisan front linkage always say, the rams don't hold the arms up so I stole Seans idea of using magnetic pick up tools for them and I think they might have enough resistance in the sliders to hold the plough up. I have a small pipe cutter for chopping them off, think it is branded K&S tools, and it is ideal for this or any small tube

cant seem to get pics to load so I'll try again later. 

On 14 January 2016 at 5:54 PM, Tractorman810 said:

Not stealing mate, be interesting to see how they go, they hold up most things to a point, certainly holds the weight on my brass loader and brass bale grab up no worries 

I think they will so the job, like you say they hold a bit of weight but with the alterations I'll have to make to the front plough it will make it heavier. 

3 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

How's work going on the big ploughing rig Martin? ::) 

Slowly mate, hopefully get a bit done tonight but I said that last night and fell asleep.

I attached the front linkage last night. The rams I made hold the plough up no problem, in fact they will probably hold as much weight as the linkage will take. To give enough travel in them I had to halve the two little clips inside. I want to try and lower the whole linkage slightly next job as it looks to be sat high against the bonnet. With the top links, it wasn't the paint stopping them screwing in, the thread in the female end only go so far so I had to chop the male end down. I screwed a nut on before I cut it so that it would straighten out the threads where i cut when I screwed it back off. 

I still can't load pics. :-[

Have you managed to get the Rams small enough to fit then? With enough movement up and down to work, I find that some ,when you cut the internal stop fittings down to get more movement in the short size, loose their grip and strength, not found a way round it yet, only ones that don't are the bluespot ones I used to get,but not seen them in a while now 

58 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

Have you managed to get the Rams small enough to fit then? With enough movement up and down to work, I find that some ,when you cut the internal stop fittings down to get more movement in the short size, loose their grip and strength, not found a way round it yet, only ones that don't are the bluespot ones I used to get,but not seen them in a while now 

I made my own hydraulic rams Sean,useing basically 1mm 2mm and 3mm aluminium tube,you use the 1mm as the ram with a 1mm long ring on one end as a stop,then use a 1mm ring of 2 mm inside the 3mm as a stop,sounds daft but works a treat,images here,http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/topic/20710-scratch-built-hydraulic-rams/#comment-520120

Regards

Joe,PS those sizes are just a guide line,

Been making my own like that for ages now, but they won't take the weight of modern implements or some scratch built one,hence why I use the mini pick up tools, but they have their limits when you start going small, like front linkage, or loader tipping Rams, to get the overall shortness ,plus the tipping stroke when out you need to trim the small copper shims they fit as the stoppers, but they then tend to use their hold, have tried packing one side out with the off cut,but all they do then is stick, also tried wiring thin copper round the notches they have,but again it tends to stick, if you look at my ford loader the tipper Rams made as you said,the main Rams are pick up tools, 

2 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

Been making my own like that for ages now, but they won't take the weight of modern implements or some scratch built one,hence why I use the mini pick up tools, but they have their limits when you start going small, like front linkage, or loader tipping Rams, to get the overall shortness ,plus the tipping stroke when out you need to trim the small copper shims they fit as the stoppers, but they then tend to use their hold, have tried packing one side out with the off cut,but all they do then is stick, also tried wiring thin copper round the notches they have,but again it tends to stick, if you look at my ford loader the tipper Rams made as you said,the main Rams are pick up tools, 

Have you tried nail varnish to tighten the rams,I've had some success,but you need to be careful it doesn't run and stick everything together,!!

Regards

Joe.

Sort of works, but not properly, have tapped the ally rod flatfish,which works but after a while shaved the inside of the sleeve away and you have to replace it,  sure I will get there in the end, But so far no real joy with a good strength small ram 

Yeah they are spot on, nearly the same movement as the supplied ones with the added bonus that they don't fall apart when the arms drop right down. I roughly halved the stops and doesn't seem to have had much effect on resistance. Not sure what brand they are, I'll have a look later. 

The bluespot ones cut down a treat, but my recent ones jut loose all their grip for some reason, just cheap I guess 

Marksman the brand these are, the pen type ones, they were just over a quid each. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived