Weeks 10 ton super

A mid/late 70's "weeks super 10" this is my second version of this particular trailer. On the first one I got the geometry wrong on the tipping body/chassis, (together with putting the axles slightly to far towards the rear) and stupidly l had glued all the brackets and mounting points - and by the time I had removed them I had done that much damage it was easier to start again. The annoying thing is, I nearly always use blu- tac to place parts in situ, before glueing. So this second version is held together with lots of little bits of good old blu tac. Once sprayed with Grey primer, followed by some coats of blue, l will glue everything together. 

DSC_0403.JPG

DSC_0404.JPG

DSC_0406.JPG

DSC_0407.JPG

DSC_0408.JPG

Many thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated. :)

On 10/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, mike whiting said:

Fantastic, would you recommend making one in brass with soldering, or is it difficult to get the detail and accuracy?

Are you working to a diagram with dimensions?

Mike

Thanks Mike, to be honest the only time l use brass is for bits like hand rails etc (brass rod) and for bigger models l will use brass box section (mainly inside the main body of a model to give strength), other than that l have no experience of building in brass, but l think to get as much detail as you can with plasticard/sheet/box/tube etc would be difficult to achieve in brass, so speaking from a personal point of view - l much prefer the medium of plastic.

Although I'm sure some people will prefer brass, and there have been some fantastic scratch built brass models on this forum over the years. End of the day, all comes down to personal preference l guess. 

Regarding diagrams/dimensions, whenever possible l like to build something that l have access to the real machine, so I can measure up and take plenty of photos, failing that - l will use brochures/spec sheets/photos etc to work from. I then do five diagrams/drawings (back, front, top and both sides)  in 1:32 scale, and work from that plan. Hope this helps. 

Regards. 

Hi John,  Thanks for the response. Just encountering the challenges of working with brass to model a baler pickup. Good to get the curves of the bands although could be interesting when attaching to the diecast model baler unit.

I have some brochures of Weeks trailers if you require dimensions.

Cheers,

Mike

I would love to see the 3 tone yellow salop weeks trailer im sure they were yellow at one point well the grain sides were yellow and the chassis was on the one i used to tow to wynstay farmers every friday afternoon behind a magpie 2wd  1494 case back in the L8 80s 

5 hours ago, mike whiting said:

Hi John,  Thanks for the response. Just encountering the challenges of working with brass to model a baler pickup. Good to get the curves of the bands although could be interesting when attaching to the diecast model baler unit.

I have some brochures of Weeks trailers if you require dimensions.

Cheers,

Mike

Sounds good Mike, sure it will look great when finished, often the more challenging a build - the more satisfying when completed. Be good to see the finished baler :)

I am okay for weeks dimensions, luckily I have access to a couple of old twin axle trailers, and l have a few weeks  brochures as well, but many thanks for the kind offer, much appreciated :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived