International Harvester 74 series

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, mb86 said:

Brilliant stuff john. What better way to spend a day like today!

Cheers Martin, yes, its wet isn't it, it'll do a lot of good though.....never seen as many balers flying around as there was on Friday mind!

11 hours ago, Awdmac said:

Proper job that John. Taken me half a day fiddling with steering ram & loader mount, still not there!

Thanks Paddy, I must admit i find making and mounting loaders a bit fiddly too as they have to sit exactly square otherwise they move out of line as they go through the lifting arc!

11 hours ago, JEP said:

Brilliant! All you need is a 1:32 scale production line, and you can have a diorama of the Doncaster plant ;)

Keep them coming! 

Thanks John....but you really shouldn't put such ideas in my head:D It would make an unusual diorama though, and would be a good use of any faulty castings.......

1 minute ago, alf aphid said:

They really do look very good John. Really looking forwards to paint day now. Are your cabs all castings now too, or are they plasticard ? 

Brilliant work. 

Cheers Alastair! The bare skid unit, bonnet, mudguards, diesel tank and wheels are cast, all the rest such as the engine detail, cab frame, doors, axle and rear linkage are plasticard, I've found that some of these bits were too fragile when cast due to their size and i didn't want to compromise and make them more chunky just so that i could cast them or i knew i wouldn't be happy with the finished model...it takes a bit longer but for me i think it's worth it in the end

2 minutes ago, 844john said:

Cheers Alastair! The bare skid unit, bonnet, mudguards, diesel tank and wheels are cast, all the rest such as the engine detail, cab frame, doors, axle and rear linkage are plasticard, I've found that some of these bits were too fragile when cast due to their size and i didn't want to compromise and make them more chunky just so that i could cast them or i knew i wouldn't be happy with the finished model...it takes a bit longer but for me i think it's worth it in the end

Yes I wondered if that was the case, shame casting was not an option must save a lot of time, not that seems to have held you back! 

So casting the cabs didn’t really work either?

1 minute ago, alf aphid said:

Yes I wondered if that was the case, shame casting was not an option must save a lot of time, not that seems to have held you back! 

So casting the cabs didn’t really work either?

To be honest Alastair, once I get rolling it doesn't actually take that much longer....the phrase " I'd be unstoppable.....if i could once get started!" springs to mind:D I initially tried casting the cab fronts but found that because they were so fragile I broke more getting them out of the mould than i was left with, also the doors are not flat but taper inwards below the window and again are so thin that the cast part would be too brittle, so making them individually was the only option. However, I made up a pattern part for each of these bits which seems to  save me quite a bit of time, and also i tend to make several of the same thing at once which also helps as i get into sort of a routine that again i find speeds the job up....it's not very professional I'm sure but it kind of works for me!

2 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

A video of your techniques and step by step on youtube would be brill ha god they all look good john

Cheers Nigel, can't see myself as a presenter I'm afraid:D

12 hours ago, 844john said:

To be honest Alastair, once I get rolling it doesn't actually take that much longer....the phrase " I'd be unstoppable.....if i could once get started!" springs to mind:D I initially tried casting the cab fronts but found that because they were so fragile I broke more getting them out of the mould than i was left with, also the doors are not flat but taper inwards below the window and again are so thin that the cast part would be too brittle, so making them individually was the only option. However, I made up a pattern part for each of these bits which seems to  save me quite a bit of time, and also i tend to make several of the same thing at once which also helps as i get into sort of a routine that again i find speeds the job up....it's not very professional I'm sure but it kind of works for me!

Ah I see. That’s a shame as that would save you time. Like you say though, batching is quicker plus also having a master will save lots of time. So much time is used measuring, checking, re-measuring etc

look amazing with some paint on them. Once again captured the dimensions brilliantly I’m no international rivet counter but they look spot on

11 hours ago, GPS said:

Absolutely stunning!!

Thank you Gavin

11 hours ago, Ferret90 said:

Their really coming together now John, looks exellent :) 

Cheers Ted!

10 hours ago, Awdmac said:

Brilliant, what a great fleet to own:).

Thanks Paddy, the reds are finally growing!

9 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

John they are ugggh sick of saying it coz its true they are the dogs dangleys mate

A carpet farmers facebook page would love these 

cheers Nigel

10 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Ah I see. That’s a shame as that would save you time. Like you say though, batching is quicker plus also having a master will save lots of time. So much time is used measuring, checking, re-measuring etc

look amazing with some paint on them. Once again captured the dimensions brilliantly I’m no international rivet counter but they look spot on

Thanks Alastair, yes it's nice to see them red finally! Dimension wise, I've not really got any excuse with these as all the measurements I need are sat down the shed or at my fathers, sometimes due to the size or my abilities i have to compromise on some details, but hopefully they're not too far away from the real deals.:)

2 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

"when the weather outside is frightful...... John's in his shed building something delightful :D 

Looking good there John and making a decent bit of progress too ;)

I think you missed a couple of notes there Paul, but I'll let you off as it's still early!:D Yes, it's nice to see them coming together, the next batch is getting underway too!

2 hours ago, Kirely said:

Great work John, it must be a nice feeling to have a batch of Internationals almost ready to come off the workbench.

Thanks Kieran, it certainly is!   Not wanting to sound like a bond villain hellbent on world domination, but this is just the start....my list of nashes i want to add to my collection from this era is growing as we speak!

Archived