International Harvester 74 series

6 minutes ago, Anderson Agri said:

574 Knight conversion im pretty sure. I'm seeing it on sunday.

It certainly looks interesting Zac, if you could get some photos that would be great!

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres a couple more pictures from today, i've got some more on my phone of the back. been sat in the hedge for 20 years, and dragged out and onto a lorry for the show, still a non runner. Has been fitted with back wheels from a MF 4345 for time being. Plan i was told was the spray tank is being removed and just the skid unit is being kept.. Shame to break it up but thats what the owner wanted.

I agree Sean, it is a shame, I've never seen one of those before so i imagine it is quite rare. If you do have some more pictures Zac that would be great, I'm getting inspired again.....

10 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Almost looks like a production line there John, making some fair progress and looking well too :) could be almost 30 degrees with us on Tuesday if the forecasters have it right....

Thanks Paul!....if it's that hot, you can keep it!!:D

Four different variations on the 74 series, from left to right:

late model 674 Q cab, early 574 pre Q cab, early 454 with frame only and swept back front axle, 5/674 with front loader. The early pre Q cab models had a horse shoe shaped front cab window, slightly different doors and mudguards, and "lollipop" indicators

WP_20190721_18_24_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20190721_18_23_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20190721_18_23_50_Pro.jpg

1 hour ago, 844john said:

Four different variations on the 74 series, from left to right:

late model 674 Q cab, early 574 pre Q cab, early 454 with frame only and swept back front axle, 5/674 with front loader. The early pre Q cab models had a horse shoe shaped front cab window, slightly different doors and mudguards, and "lollipop" indicator

the roofs were also better quality on those early 574's john , I used one when I was 18 , no T/A, lovely smooth gear change 

liking the loader tractor , again used one on a 674 , flat 8 duties in the summer and muck loading through out the winter 

The early design of the cab fronts were ahead of their time as opposed to the latter straight bar going across  Doncaster stopped doing the horse shoe type due to the glass being expensive in the shape it was needed  ...this was according to phillip ponton if my memory serves me right the latter design were considered a step back to cut cost 

9 hours ago, dm434 said:

the roofs were also better quality on those early 574's john , I used one when I was 18 , no T/A, lovely smooth gear change 

liking the loader tractor , again used one on a 674 , flat 8 duties in the summer and muck loading through out the winter 

Thanks David, I've always loved the 74's, to me the just looked "right" and were so far ahead of the likes of Masseys and Fords at the time with their synchromesh  'boxes and side mounted gear levers, power steering and fully independent pto. :)

6 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

The early design of the cab fronts were ahead of their time as opposed to the latter straight bar going across  Doncaster stopped doing the horse shoe type due to the glass being expensive in the shape it was needed  ...this was according to phillip ponton if my memory serves me right the latter design were considered a step back to cut cost 

6 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

By the way those nashes look brilliant I'm dribbling again 

Cheers Nigel, I'd better get you some tissues!:D

For me, the early cabs look more dated than the straight windscreen, but i suppose its all down to personal preference

Yea  i can only dream of a work bench with those nashes in that stage i might add 

Regarding the horseshoe cab fronts again 

Ih Doncaster updated the cabs to be iso mounted and I'm guessing as horseshoe to sound proof  when a black flexible rubber  cut right was maybe a better option   

By the way ive seen several 674s as knight conversions also a few 85 hydros with a xl cab forward control too 

Heres a 614 too  but painted blue ???

614 spreader.jpg

CCI10102009_00048.jpg

First batch finally ready for some paint, all the white parts such as the engine side panels and cab frames will be painted separately and then added to save masking off

WP_20190727_17_27_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20190727_17_29_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20190727_17_32_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20190727_17_33_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20190727_17_32_47_Pro.jpg

Archived