International Harvester 74 series

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is too much wow 

Is there much to change in the back end department  i was thinking of useing massey 135 wheels do you think they might work john ?? 

Whent round to that bloke with the 454 today he wernt in so il try next friday now  those 74s look so nice even at that stage i need to crack on and try the bonnets and bolsters next week i take it you use a heat gun to get the curves on the bonnet john ?

Cheers nige

The wheels are off an old Britains Ford 5000 Nigel, just because they were handy, but I intend to cast the ones off the UH 135 as the rims are correct. When i made the original 475 I tried bending the bonnet, but i gave up after a few attempts as i could never get the curve to look right, so it was made up square and the filed/sanded to get the shape I was after.

A bit more done on the 454, which is going to be an early model with the swept-back front axle and just the roll frame, and also a start on a loader for one of the others:)

WP_20190531_17_26_51_Pro.jpg

some serious effort going into these, and  some serious bits of kit coming out of the work, whilst i would be far more interested in the ford your doing,, i am not overly familiar with the early ih stuff ,  these do look good 

That 454 is stunning well they are all stunning thats how many ild like also a 454 low boy ref. Mike tenby roar of dust and diesil book it was built for motorway verges in yellow  had a front horseshoe window frame sat very low for slopes  

6 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

some serious effort going into these, and  some serious bits of kit coming out of the work, whilst i would be far more interested in the ford your doing,, i am not overly familiar with the early ih stuff ,  these do look good 

Cheers Sean, yes, there's a bit of work gone in, but hopefully the worst has been done making the patterns and casting them. I've wanted to build my collection of these nashes for a while now, just never got round to doing it. I haven't forgotten the Ford though, hopefully some progress on that is imminent! 

6 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

That 454 is stunning well they are all stunning thats how many ild like also a 454 low boy ref. Mike tenby roar of dust and diesil book it was built for motorway verges in yellow  had a front horseshoe window frame sat very low for slopes  

This is just the tip of the iceberg Nigel now that I've got started!:D I've already had similar thoughts about that conversion done by Cripps, would be something a bit different;) Looking at it I think it's based on a 374 or a 444, certainly one of the Bradford built nashes judging by the position of the diesel tank and style of the exhaust

WP_20190601_05_27_45_Pro (2).jpg

A bit more done on the 674, front axle started (although this one is going to be a 4wd;)), front weight frame with detachable weights and the higher cab roof. Also a bit of progress with the loader one as well.

WP_20190602_16_31_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20190602_16_32_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20190602_16_36_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20190602_17_27_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20190602_17_28_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20190602_17_28_31_Pro.jpg

On 5/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, 844john said:

Made a start with the castings, fingers crossed they seem to be fitting together nicely. 674 here we come;)

WP_20190519_17_48_34_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20190519_17_47_27_Pro (2).jpg

Excellent yet again!

When your doing the casts are you doing two halves or a full piece?

4 hours ago, WoldsModels said:

Excellent yet again!

When your doing the casts are you doing two halves or a full piece?

Thanks Steve, it depends on the part but if possible i prefer to do them as one piece

2 minutes ago, 844john said:

Thanks Steve, it depends on the part but if possible i prefer to do them as one piece

Yeah thats understandable. Trying to work out how you can do it as a full piece without destroying the cast..?

First couple of attempts at casting the rims separately and the tyres in rubber, they're a bit like the film, some good, some bad and some ugly! However, hopefully learning from my mistakes as i go along, and it must make painting the wheels a lot easier!;)

WP_20190609_18_07_52_Pro.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

How's the wee 454s coming on john I'm guessing its gone mad at yours with all the harvest at the mo tho 

Not much more done I'm afraid Nigel, bits here and there on the 574 and 674 but not much time for models at the moment unfortunately!

Sorry, I've just seen your previous post, the rubber for the tyres is different to the stuff you use to make the moulds from, price wise i believe it's similar to the resin

• 2 weeks later...

Archived