International Harvester 74 series

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, dm434 said:

Most definitely, since ih used that skid unit for so long , you could spawn quite a few from your moulds 

That's my idea behind doing it David, as I'm slowly working my way through tractors that we've owned or i have driven and hold special memories for me. In the past our own tractors have included a 454, 475, a couple of 674's, 884, 685, 785, 885, 895, 4230 (i think I've remembered them all!) , all of which share the same basic skid, so hopefully the collection of reds can now grow a bit easier!

Have had a bit of a session making parts and preparing the moulds ready to cast, so far I've done the front grill surround, bonnet, front tombstone and weight. I've also tried the Sekura cab on the skid to do an 84 series.

WP_20190526_15_25_56_Pro.jpg

24 minutes ago, IH885XLMAN said:

Oh please make me one 

We had a 784 with a Sekura cab years ago Nigel, it was a 4wd one with the Kimco front axle.They were a nice tractor to drive, and the cab was a massive improvement over the victor L cab, but the front axle was the weak point, and you needed an acre to turn it in.....it was nearly as bad as a County!

1 hour ago, 844john said:

cheers David, there's been a fair bit of work gone into making the parts and casting them, but hopefully it should be worth it now!

I bet you will have people dropping hints for one , wink wink 

4 hours ago, alf aphid said:

I hope you don’t get sick of this John! You must be putting the hours in, difficult to tell but that casting looks really good, very clean 

The more I look through my old photo's and leaflets, the more nashes i want a model of, so I'm actually quite inspired at the moment Alastair! (plus it's light early, so i can get an hour or two in before i start on a morning!;))  I've also started on an IH 1001 detachable front loader to fit the 74 series as I'd like one or two fitted with a loader, but I've run out of rubber for the moulds so I'll have to concentrate on just the tractors at the moment.:)

11 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

Hello john hope everything's going well sorry for being rudw but ummm

Any of those casts going to be for sale john im rubbing my hands anxiously cheers nigel 

Hello Nigel, to be honest i don't really want to go down the road of selling casts as time is something that I never seem to have plenty of and i was wanting to concentrate on building whole tractors rather than doing bits.....I find that I have to enjoy what I'm doing otherwise I loose interest in it rather quickly....obviously I've a short attention span!:D

2 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

If you were going to paint those cast wheels john would you paint them black all over then colour the centres off white ??? Cheers nigel

I do it the other way round Nigel, I used cast wheels on the Muir Hill and the Zetor and i sprayed the wheel centres first and then painted the tyres black. Hopefully, I'm going to have a go at casting the tyres and rims separate, which should make it a bit easier to paint!

Tidy i got a 454 by me im going to ask the man if i can spend a few hours measureing it up il try your way john but im not as handy with a scalple  might try and do the front bolster and main weight block in clay then cast from that did you melt the bonnet in two layers if you dont mind me asking 

The bonnet was made up in a similar way to the real one Nigel with a top and two sides, then the extra bits of detail added. The 454's bonnet is only a few inches shorter, but the difference is at the front, so the 4 pot bonnet can't just be shortened, hence I've had to make another for the 454 as well, haven't got it cast yet though as I'm waiting for some rubber to make the moulds.

25 minutes ago, catkom3 said:

Don't know if this would be of any interest to you John for casting,I've never used it so cannot vouch for it,but seems like a good idea,apparently you can just re-melt the mould and use it again,???,

http://composimoldstore.com/?fbclid=IwAR3KVEhGn1rBMSWdAkYP0qUBQe62KmOOqJf8-nc1mQMEEdkpRrw0XS61-S0

Regards

Joe.

How many times can you reuse it joe also do you have to keep adding a catalyst or is just high heat and low temp the only catalyst ??? Sounds nearly too good to be true wonder how good the quality of moulds are  

Archived