International Harvester 74 series

39 minutes ago, mb86 said:

I was brought up on them john, 270, 262, 285 and the  272 synchro that is still here, they were all good tractors. Really looking forward to seeing your 282. 

Dad has often told the tale when he was baling straw behind two new 17' cut New Holland 8070's, with a brand new 282 and New Holland 376 baler alongside an equally new 272 and 376 outfit (I'd love to see that lot working together today!) Apparently it was quite hilly ground, on the flat the 272 was on par with the 282, once they hit the hills and the turbo came on song the 282 just walked away from it:)

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit i am John.... possibly more than abit..... maybe even quite alot :D Mmmm the turbo whistle from straight pipe of a 4/98....no matter if its in a 282 or 802 or 904..... Music to the ears :) ...... infact the exhaust note of any 4/98 or 6/98 Leyland engine..... the 6's sound great pulling hard under load..... Can't wait to see your 282 take shape..... if it's anything like this little Nash and the loader your working on at present then it'll be a great looking model and worth waiting for..... i reckon i'd best stake my claim early and try and bag first dibs if you get chance to build more than one ;)

1 hour ago, Valley Axe Man said:

I admit i am John.... possibly more than abit..... maybe even quite alot :D Mmmm the turbo whistle from straight pipe of a 4/98....no matter if its in a 282 or 802 or 904..... Music to the ears :) ...... infact the exhaust note of any 4/98 or 6/98 Leyland engine..... the 6's sound great pulling hard under load..... Can't wait to see your 282 take shape..... if it's anything like this little Nash and the loader your working on at present then it'll be a great looking model and worth waiting for..... i reckon i'd best stake my claim early and try and bag first dibs if you get chance to build more than one ;)

You're right Paul, and listening to that takes me back 30 years! I get a bit bored doing the same thing over and over, hence why I'm going to give casting a go!, so I thought if I started the Leyland as well I could hop from one to the other and keep having a bit of a change!:)

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

i have been using henri for years now, and never had an issue with his work, its amazing what he can do decal wise if tou ask him. he used to have a brouchure he would send if you asked, but i think hes stopped that now, 

I found him excellent to deal with as well Sean, nothing seemed to be a problem and a very quick turnaround

2 hours ago, 844john said:

Decals arrived from Henri, I have to say excellent service, would thoroughly recommend:)

WP_20180214_17_40_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20180214_17_41_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20180214_18_24_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20180214_18_26_58_Pro.jpg

Absolutely stunning. Be sure to let me know if you would like a number plate for it I’ll send you one with the wuffler mate :)  certainly are becoming one of the best ! 

That's a superb model.

When I were a lad the only 674s I remember seeing were hauling beet into the depot near the school I went to, so I've always associated the tractor with sugar beet.

I have a memory of a 674 with a 10 ton MM trailer pulling a load of sugar beet up the hill towards the school imprinted on my brain.

I was about 10.

Looks brilliant! If I may ask, I might have overlooked it in earlier posts, how did you get measures for it? i wish there was some kind of registry online that kept measurements of tractors and implements.. -_- I'm building implements on measures I make myself, and some just by photos. But for an entire tractor to fit together this good takes planning I reckon :) Very tidy job!

Thank you all for your kind words, I feel quite humbled by some of your comments. As I have said before, I am no model maker, just a farmer, but I get an immense amount of satisfaction starting with a few sheets of styrene and ending up with hopefully a presentable model of a tractor or machine that I was unable to buy. My wife and kids reckon I have OCD:D but I just like things to be as near right as I can, there are several areas of this build that I am not happy with but hopefully you learn through your mistakes and practice makes perfect, if I keep trying I might get there in the end.:)

8 hours ago, Janval said:

lLooks brilliant! If I may ask, I might have overlooked it in earlier posts, how did you get measures for it? i wish there was some kind of registry online that kept measurements of tractors and implements.. -_- I'm building implements on measures I make myself, and some just by photos. But for an entire tractor to fit together this good takes planning I reckon :) Very tidy job!

Thanks Jan, this one was easy as I have the real thing sat in the shed, but you are right, I spent a couple of days on and off measuring, scaling down and then drawing out the parts on graph paper. For my 1394 I don't have the tractor to hand, but I work in a similar way from brochures. Most give dimensions such as wheelbase and height, so I start by scaling these down to 1:32 onto graph paper . Then I try to find good side on and front and back photos, as these are not affected by perspective, accurately measure the wheelbase and height and divide your 1:32 measurements with this. This then gives you a figure to multiply all your brochure measurements with to get to 1:32. It sounds long winded, but it does work perfectly!:D 

WP_20180215_06_52_34_Pro (2).jpg

6 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

The grille looks the bees knees to john i realy hope to buy one of these of you in the near future if you do decide to produce them 

Thanks Nigel, my casting gear has arrived, so you never know!:)

10 hours ago, SPN said:

That's a superb model.

When I were a lad the only 674s I remember seeing were hauling beet into the depot near the school I went to, so I've always associated the tractor with sugar beet.

I have a memory of a 674 with a 10 ton MM trailer pulling a load of sugar beet up the hill towards the school imprinted on my brain.

I was about 10.

Thanks Stan, there are worse memories to have! The 674 was certainly no slouch, light but loads of torque , one of the original "pocket rockets":)

4 hours ago, 844john said:

Thanks Jan, this one was easy as I have the real thing sat in the shed, but you are right, I spent a couple of days on and off measuring, scaling down and then drawing out the parts on graph paper. For my 1394 I don't have the tractor to hand, but I work in a similar way from brochures. Most give dimensions such as wheelbase and height, so I start by scaling these down to 1:32 onto graph paper . Then I try to find good side on and front and back photos, as these are not affected by perspective, accurately measure the wheelbase and height and divide your 1:32 measurements with this. This then gives you a figure to multiply all your brochure measurements with to get to 1:32. It sounds long winded, but it does work perfectly!:D 

WP_20180215_06_52_34_Pro (2).jpg

That's a pretty neat idea, haven't thought about using this kind of paper myself as I have just scribbled and drawed on blank pages. But I will get myself some of this :) Should've thought of it, used to use these when we did wood crafts back in my early school years :) 

39 minutes ago, Janval said:

That's a pretty neat idea, haven't thought about using this kind of paper myself as I have just scribbled and drawed on blank pages. But I will get myself some of this :) Should've thought of it, used to use these when we did wood crafts back in my early school years :) 

I think mine's from my uni days, so it's at least 26 years old, I never like to throw anything away if I think it might come in handy one day!:D

Archived