• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/03/2018 at 6:54 PM, tabmodels said:

A few technical drawings revealed a longer skid unit than that of the 1174 tractor. A spacer is located between the gearbox and rear end providing enough room for the side mounted fuel tanks between the wheels, and at the same time, increasing the capacity of the load frame. Lengthened skid unit and 6 cylinder engine pieced together with resin parts.

DSC_1109.thumb.JPG.565e816ab897b6221a655a9b4d56af99.JPGDSC_1110.thumb.JPG.edb2aeff47f6105025662f9ad44e59ac.JPGDSC_1111.thumb.JPG.e3bd5d2b235bcca4abdb5a6fc018618f.JPGDSC_1112.thumb.JPG.d04a6cec1adc273464b6c64fb58c8ada.JPGDSC_1113.thumb.JPG.6d53d8949ef6562751d0e6562f029c29.JPG

What software was that you used to create the technical drawings Ian ? I find myself sitting for hours drawing out and planning a build. Half of that time is spent rubbing out too :D... Im just trying to be more efficient :) 

10 hours ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

What software was that you used to create the technical drawings Ian ? I find myself sitting for hours drawing out and planning a build. Half of that time is spent rubbing out too :D... Im just trying to be more efficient :) 

It's an old one Sam, called Micrographx, no particular brand but I've had it since 2003. It does everything I need to do even the card models and the decals. Unfortunately I have to use it on a computer with Windows 7 as it won't run on any operating system after that. It took a long time to learn everything on it which is why I've never tried to learn any other programs, I'd be screwed without it! There's no reason why you can't get the basics down on paper, I used to do that every time,  but there is major efficiency benefits with the CAD. I'm not very tech savvy so I couldn't even suggest a CAD program for you :D

7 minutes ago, tabmodels said:

It's an old one Sam, called Micrographx, no particular brand but I've had it since 2003. It does everything I need to do even the card models and the decals. Unfortunately I have to use it on a computer with Windows 7 as it won't run on any operating system after that. It took a long time to learn everything on it which is why I've never tried to learn any other programs, I'd be screwed without it! There's no reason why you can't get the basics down on paper, I used to do that every time,  but there is major efficiency benefits with the CAD. I'm not very tech savvy so I couldn't even suggest a CAD program for you :D

I was gonna say I’m sure it’s an old program. I’ve heard talk about it when we very first had a computer maybe 2004 I think.... it was that or another one. Can’t of been many out then ! I’ll have a look around as you say there’s efficiency benefits which I do need as I’m trying to maximise output but drawings are taking a good day or two at the min ! Cheers for the info mate ;) 

2 hours ago, 844john said:

That's looking absolutely spot on Ian, I've always fancied having a go at an FC County but after seeing yours i think I'd end up a bit disappointed!:)

I'm sure you'd make a grand job of one john. Look on the positive side, your model making skills are far better than your weather forecasting. :D;)

1 hour ago, mb86 said:

I'm sure you'd make a grand job of one john. Look on the positive side, your model making skills are far better than your weather forecasting. :D;)

Thanks Martin, you were right, it must have been a touch of arthritis due to all this bloody wet, it was just drying up as well:(. However, i hardly dare say it, but according to the forcast  by the weekend it is going to improve, with finally some  sun and warmth next week ( unless it's a ploy by the met office to stop farmers committing mass suicides! );)

38 minutes ago, 844john said:

Thanks Martin, you were right, it must have been a touch of arthritis due to all this bloody wet, it was just drying up as well:(. However, i hardly dare say it, but according to the forcast  by the weekend it is going to improve, with finally some  sun and warmth next week ( unless it's a ploy by the met office to stop farmers committing mass suicides! );)

Yes apparently  we are going to be basking in glorious sunshine next week. I'll believe it when I see it but it will be more than welcome. B)

Sorry to stray off topic Ian, any progress????

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, mb86 said:

Yes apparently  we are going to be basking in glorious sunshine next week. I'll believe it when I see it but it will be more than welcome. B)

Sorry to stray off topic Ian, any progress????

Not at all Martin, weather's crap here too :D been developing extra parts for the FC1174, all small tiny pieces so a bit of a pain and very time consuming, but some of these parts will be used in the making of future County models. Shot the Ford blue on to one of the FCs yesterday and it's looking good. Very tricky to paint as you would imagine, progress pics coming soon!

1 minute ago, mb86 said:

Is that the Bowen cables and working gear linkages you've been working on?:D looking forward to these pics like a kid on Christmas Eve!!:D

Yes very tricky getting the cables threaded into the sleeves, and don't get me started on the clutch plate springs...

11 hours ago, tabmodels said:

Yes very tricky getting the cables threaded into the sleeves, and don't get me started on the clutch plate springs...

forgot to mention, we want to see  threads on the wheel studs !!!1:D

Paint blasted on to the skid unit and cab, decals drawn up and applied. Working on cab interior now and chrome headlights beneath the platform. I decided to go for the Ford grill version for this particular model as the other will have the County grill.

DSC_1419.thumb.JPG.c30fa6d02e9e134803078b1c0e7dca3e.JPGDSC_1420.thumb.JPG.f754a6299bd6b36a5a4546e8b8a5bda5.JPGDSC_1421.thumb.JPG.84bfd5e9bdfb3c801e71645ea2a2380d.JPGDSC_1423.thumb.JPG.314e4eb569dba8f35deac6358f60c869.JPG

Archived