Matbro teleram 40

1 hour ago, 844john said:

No, certainly looks like it was worth staying up for Alastair! You've decided to ditch the idea of adapting the JCB then?

Well, yes I guess so John, it’s just kind of evolved. I was thinking of using the swan neck off the jcb but will see. Must admit your step by step is a great help as a guide! 

John what dimensions are your outer boom please? Just trying to establish best way ! Many thanks. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to find now that its usually easier to build from scratch than to adapt something and end up with a compromise at the finish anyway! I've just come back in for my breakfast, when i go back out I'll have a measure up and send you the dimensions:)

2 hours ago, 844john said:

I seem to find now that its usually easier to build from scratch than to adapt something and end up with a compromise at the finish anyway! I've just come back in for my breakfast, when i go back out I'll have a measure up and send you the dimensions:)

I know exactly what you mean. I’ll roll With it and see what occurs!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 844john said:

I'm liking her a lot Alastair, that's a very tidy job of the bonnet grill! I'll ask you the question i was asked, are you still enjoying the build?

Very much so, it’s slow but when you start to see taking shape it’s very satisfying. Not perfect, but I think you can dimensionally tell what it is, so can’t be too far off the pace

2 hours ago, 844john said:

You've entered the tricky area now Alastair, getting the geometry right was a right pain, it's parts of a build like this where having the real thing on hand to measure would really have helped

Yes I’m under no illusion, it’s about to get grim! Still at least I have the added help of someone having done it already ;), I’ve referred to your step by step several times now, very handy thank you !!

• 4 months later...

Well I got the Matbro out again tonight, I hadn’t been happy with the boom, and after a bit of tinkering, soon realised easier and better just to start it again. 

Ive now moved onto the geometry, and John you are not wrong!! What a mare! I’m embarrassed to show my progress pictures so won’t. :D

The boom and the geometry in and around the headstock I found was a doddle Alastair, sailed through mine, perfect on the first attempt;).......alright, maybe not, more like five or six go's at it, on first glance it looks like it shouldn't be a problem, but oh the headaches it caused. With no measurements to work from and a real shortage of good pictures of the linkage available it was all trial and error and as you've no doubt discovered, a tiny difference in the position of a pivot, the curve and size of the bar and the positioning of the linkage on the headstock all make a massive difference to the degree of movement achieved.....and just to make it more difficult it's all got to fit into a small space and look right. I taken a couple of pictures that I hope might help.

WP_20190324_06_27_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20190324_06_26_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20190324_06_26_41_Pro.jpg

Thanks very much John, I must admit I’ve already been using your pics to try and aide me, like you say it’s very difficult to see from the photos of the real thing. 

Ive got the start of it but I’m now building up the headstock to test if the angle of movement will be enough, I have a feeling it won’t be!

ahhhh progress so slow!! 

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, 844john said:

Excellent Alastair........finished over the weekend?;)

I’m not quite on track so far.......

however telscoping ram and side panels sorted. Started to fiddle with the headstock!!!!!! What a mare

Still I have been building my little rustic garden wall today, just in case anyone was thinking “how can a man be so unproductive!?” :D

7C6C0D66-06DF-44A8-BFB3-A86C57FBDC69.jpeg

E1DE54E4-FF28-418E-97E3-AE9CBC14FA40.jpeg

Archived