1/32 garden machinery scratchbuilds

Hi, just thought I would post some of my little scratchbuilds. I am new to the forum and this is my first post so, here goes...

Most of the implements are made from butter packaging (apart from the compressor at the back) and I use the wheels off smaller models. The cement mixer is made from a matchbox cement lorry and some wire. The small mountfield rotovator is all made from bits and bobs I found lying around and weathered with pigments and Vallejo "oil stains" (which actually smells remarkably like agri grease).  I found the engines to be the hardest part on most of them as I have to find bits of metal around the right size to look like a Briggs & Stratton. The strimmers are made from garden wire and 1/35 transmitions from airfix kits are used for the engines.

Thanks for looking , cheers :)

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

IMG_3956.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

What beautifully done little models, love the weathering, the cement on the mixer barrel and the green moss on the Land Rovers. We still have a little Mountfield rotovator like the one you have built there:)   

Just had chance to have a real proper look at these on a large screen and just WOW, absolutely blown away. Some of the nicest weathering and tiny details I've ever seen. And the use of foliage in the diorama is just superb! Love the way the tree casts shadows over the landys. 

I've got to ask how you've done the moss/algae effect, is it just a dry brush of green paint or is there something more to it? The same with the rust, is that a particular pigment?

4 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Just had chance to have a real proper look at these on a large screen and just WOW, absolutely blown away. Some of the nicest weathering and tiny details I've ever seen. And the use of foliage in the diorama is just superb! Love the way the tree casts shadows over the landys. 

I've got to ask how you've done the moss/algae effect, is it just a dry brush of green paint or is there something more to it? The same with the rust, is that a particular pigment?

Thank you!!! Yes the algae is done with Vallejo green pigments and brushed (paint brush not air brushed) on with pva and water but you could use acrylic paint and make a very yellowy green to get the same effect. The rust is also done in the same way , pva (builders stuff not weak stuff) and water with pigments. I also use a sponge but I don't use an airbrush as it doesn't give the same texture. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAL73111-Vallejo-Pigment-Green-Earth/192498980640?epid=1323216090&hash=item2cd1d55720:g:2GYAAOSwihpawQNO

hope that helped:) cheers

• 8 months later...

Archived