Universal Hobbies County 1174

I've never done one of these before, but I thought that I'd give it a go seeing as the model has certainly created a lot of interest! 

Firstly, I have to say that I do like the model very much, the 1174 has always been one of my favourite County's, although it is often overshadowed by it's bigger cousins such as the 1884, to me it always just looked "right". UH have certainly captured the feel of the tractor, but the model is not without it's flaws.

The rear wheels sit just slightly too far forward from the rear of the cab, giving the wheelbase an extra few mm's would have corrected the stance of the model. Whilst on the subject of wheels, the centres of the rims are too far out, sitting almost level with the outside of the wheel weights when they should sit level with the rim itself.

Quality wise, my particular model had a couple of issues, firstly one of the rear assistor rams has not been put together properly, and also the small lever underneath to hold the linkage up doesn't work, so the linkage will not stay in the raised position.

Scale wise, the model is not far away at all from the real thing, and the level of detail throughout is very good, it's nice to finally see the back of UH's ugly rear linkage, even if the one on mine isn't quite up to scratch it certainly looks much better.

Overall, I think UH have done a good job in replicating he 1174, it's not without its faults, but it is certainly nice to see more of the classics being reproduced in model form!

WP_20190322_06_19_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20190322_06_20_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20190322_06_20_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20190322_06_21_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20190322_06_21_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20190322_06_22_57_Pro.jpg

Nice review John,and thanks for reminding me,the wee switch for the linkage doesn't work properly,and I think my right assister ram,isn't right,your left one looks similar to mine,like the ram has come out the cylinder,?,but your top link appears to be all painted while mine is unpainted,?

Regards

Joe.

County 1174 3.jpg

I like it & I will get one in time.But I will be holding on for the DB also , as I like to bulk order once every few months. The rear linkage does look good .. giving a more realistic look and at the same time allowing implements to be attached Britains style...the only thing are the wheel rims .  Are they 34 Sankeys with centre weights..??.because they don’t look like Sankeys. Or are they narrower 38s..UH should keep the ball rolling now with a 1184 TW next..or maybe a little 4600 FOUR !!

Great review John, great little model from UH, hope to get one soon. Good to see a more realistic rear linkage too, I think if I had one I would change the cab mirrors and the wheels and tyres for possibly Britains Ford 7000 Sankeys.

58 minutes ago, tabmodels said:

Great review John, great little model from UH, hope to get one soon. Good to see a more realistic rear linkage too, I think if I had one I would change the cab mirrors and the wheels and tyres for possibly Britains Ford 7000 Sankeys.

7000 on the front, 5000 on the rear.

Kavanaghs of Clonroche got them into stock today, so that's where I'm headed in the morning. Pics with the DBP 1164, 1174 and 1184 coming soon.

10 hours ago, catkom3 said:

Nice review John,and thanks for reminding me,the wee switch for the linkage doesn't work properly,and I think my right assister ram,isn't right,your left one looks similar to mine,like the ram has come out the cylinder,?,but your top link appears to be all painted while mine is unpainted,?

Regards

Joe.

County 1174 3.jpg

Yes, that's how my ram is Joe, does your top link screw all the way in, mine only goes a tiny bit, perhaps the paint is stopping it?

9 hours ago, justy 46 said:

I like it & I will get one in time.But I will be holding on for the DB also , as I like to bulk order once every few months. The rear linkage does look good .. giving a more realistic look and at the same time allowing implements to be attached Britains style...the only thing are the wheel rims .  Are they 34 Sankeys with centre weights..??.because they don’t look like Sankeys. Or are they narrower 38s..UH should keep the ball rolling now with a 1184 TW next..or maybe a little 4600 FOUR !!

The wheels are 38" Justin, same as the Britains Fords, as others have said, a wheel swap might be a good idea......I just can't bring myself to start pulling it apart.....yet!

After all my worrying I have to admit that it is an excellent model. There are a couple of little niggles, but they are minor.

Here is is with its contemporaries, the DBP 1164, DBP 1174, DBP 1184 and Towse MH121.

20190323_133850.jpg

20190323_133943.jpg

20190323_134213.jpg

20190323_134440.jpg

20190323_134254.jpg

20190323_140546.jpg

20190323_135022.jpg

1 hour ago, Puff of Logic said:

Wasn’t home 5 minutes with mine , & 1st thing to alter just had to be  those wheels & tyres . The tyres look as if there is next to no tread on them, .

This is the result , purely a mock up to see , but I think it already looks a lot better , with  Scaledown wheels in place of original. Still to be painted better , & wheel weights added to fronts .

With reversed centre type wheels .

8D06FE0E-13CC-45E1-90C6-9CDC70A8E287.thumb.jpeg.b0130fa0082be9e88e35cf5e8bbcfcb6.jpeg

Top view , showing difference 

865605ED-09D8-49F6-833E-23E14D85F363.thumb.jpeg.457318c4c9b200ccb537ea68082fe761.jpeg

Another side view 

E650C14A-1B35-4342-BC4F-98C11DC8B480.thumb.jpeg.f6ba1fc7272c2e318979c1db830e7fcb.jpeg

Standard Ford  wheel unpainted front , reversed centre  rear 

DB6E0A40-8A42-490C-8BE8-DBB75C07D09D.thumb.jpeg.d998428778f8b7d11150ad677394f740.jpeg

3/4 front view showing difference 

517268DA-3081-42EB-8E7C-DF313F43E476.thumb.jpeg.502e170853c7fefa5154ed9c990c8397.jpeg

Those wheels look so much better, which scaledown are they off, the reversed centre ones will be ideal for the rears on my Muir Hill

Interesting reviews to which i agree with

The wholesalers advise that this has been the fastest selling UH 1:32 farm model in the UK since the power major right back near the start of the UH journey

16 minutes ago, Udimore said:

Interesting reviews to which i agree with

The wholesalers advise that this has been the fastest selling UH 1:32 male in the UK since the power major right back near the start of the UH journey

That is great news, as said above, hopefully this will encourage more classics from not just UH but other manufacturers as well (cough cough britains). 

Great reviews, photos and opinions everyone. 

13 hours ago, 844john said:

Yes, that's how my ram is Joe, does your top link screw all the way in, mine only goes a tiny bit, perhaps the paint is stopping it?

Must be the paint John,mine has a good degree of travel,but I've just noticed neither of my assiter rams are in the cylinders,and,due to the fact U H have actually put tiny hydraulic hoses on the rams,( nice touch ),nothing short of removeing the cab will allow access to refit them,??.

Regards

Joe.

4 hours ago, Puff of Logic said:

I don’t think they are off any particular Scaledown model , they are just better detailed wheels which Nigel makes . If you contact him & tell him what you are looking for , he will keep you right & supply either standard or reversed centre Sankey type 38” wheels & tyres .

Nigel refers to them as Ford 7000 wheels.

I didn't know that he did the reversed version though.

2 hours ago, catkom3 said:

Must be the paint John,mine has a good degree of travel,but I've just noticed neither of my assiter rams are in the cylinders,and,due to the fact U H have actually put tiny hydraulic hoses on the rams,( nice touch ),nothing short of removeing the cab will allow access to refit them,??.

Regards

Joe.

I've not tried to put mine right yet Joe, but looking at it I had a feeling that it was not going to be an easy fix

Just now, 844john said:

I've not tried to put mine right yet Joe, but looking at it I had a feeling that it was not going to be an easy fix

Hah,just beat me,as stated tricky,ha ha!

Regards

Joe.

Archived