Ford 4610 LP Cab

22 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Looking good John :) yet again with a wave of your magic scalpel across your cutting mat you show us something fantastic, that'll be a great looking outfit when the sled is finished ;) 

Thanks Paul! It's another one that's personal to me, as I've said before I loved those days as a teenager at hay and harvest time, my intention is to replicate the outfit that we used back then. The Ford did the baling, as well as mowing with a Fahr KM22 mower (my favourite job), tedding and rowing up was done with a pair of haybobs on the Ford and one of the nashes, stacking the flat eights with a 4wd International 785, Kat loader and meijer grab, and leading them with a 2wd International 684 and Ritchie 56 transporter. Most of these are at some stage of build, some have been sat for years(no surprise there!), but I keep coming back to them one at a time and I've set myself a challenge to have them finished and on a small diorama by the end of the year!

• Like 5

Brilliant work john. Looking forward to seeing them finished and on the dio.

You've just reminded me about those photos I said I'd get you! If you still want them I'll sort them in the next day or two. 

• Thanks 1

Fantastic work there mate. Be nice to see that flat 8 system. My grandfather would not buy one so we had to do it the old hard way. We had a old sledge and one of us would stand on the side at the rear. And try stack them then let them out near each other. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mb86 said:

Brilliant work john. Looking forward to seeing them finished and on the dio.

You've just reminded me about those photos I said I'd get you! If you still want them I'll sort them in the next day or two. 

Thanks Martin. I came across the parts and operating instructions book for the sledge just recently, so I'm all sorted now thanks;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, L33 DA17ON said:

Fantastic work there mate. Be nice to see that flat 8 system. My grandfather would not buy one so we had to do it the old hard way. We had a old sledge and one of us would stand on the side at the rear. And try stack them then let them out near each other. 

Cheers Lee, yes the flat eight system did save a lot of work, but it wasn't faultless! We used to stack in 48's for hay and 56's for straw, and if the ground was uneven and the stacks were left overnight it wasn't uncommon for the odd one to topple over. Also, when you were leading them in with the bale transporter, if you weren't concentrating and didn't have the grab fully tipped back it didn't nip the heap right at the bottom, with the result that the whole heap would collapse when you started to lift it and you would have it to re-stack by hand.....you soon learned not to make that mistake too often! 

• Like 1

Used to stack 48s but we never had the bale transporter 

We had 2  salop bale trailers rear axel  front axel on a turntable  we used to stak them in 48s just to give the majority of bales shelter from if it rained 

Be the two trailers ready to unload into the top of silage pit or loft ....muggins always ended up in loft the old labourer who staked the trailers would off load on to an alfa leval elevator he could rake his time filling the elevator but i was rushing to clear the pile as i staked in the loft that would take us till dinner time after dinner then off to load the trailers for next day maybee get 6 trailers between 3 of us in a 8 hour day  slow i know  

• Like 2

The days of small bales. My grandfather having cattle lorry we used to remove the containers off the big lorry and drag trailers, then just drive round fields stacking. Was always the farm labourer and my brother on the stack keeping it right. Me and my grandfather chucking them up. We would stack that high it had to be 3 different levels to keep passing them up. Then we would sheet them. Next few days were spent in yard chucking them onto the elevator think it was a listers engine one with wooden slats and the odd one missing. You dont see many small bales nowadays but then we don't get the summers we used to. We used to fill this stone barn to the rafters. 20200523_155839.thumb.jpg.96f2c75b7715ae6bc8871325a2147f4f.jpg

Edited by L33 DA17ON
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, 844john said:

The joys of little bales, or "sweat bombs!" .....still, good times all the same!

At the time blisters sweat shaking my sides felt like they were splitting 

Falling flat on your face cos your foot went between two bales as ur carrying 2 at a time to try and keep up with the elevator  chaff down ur pants inbetween the crevis added on to the pints of sweat running down off your shoulder blades  dust sticking to anywhere moist everywhere on your body in ur ears eyes nose 

Just waiting wanting for the trailers to stop coming 

But funny thing is i loved every bit and if i did one summer these days with small bales ild loose 3 stone and thats from someone whos got allot to loose ha ha! 

3 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

At the time blisters sweat shaking my sides felt like they were splitting 

Falling flat on your face cos your foot went between two bales as ur carrying 2 at a time to try and keep up with the elevator  chaff down ur pants inbetween the crevis added on to the pints of sweat running down off your shoulder blades  dust sticking to anywhere moist everywhere on your body in ur ears eyes nose 

Just waiting wanting for the trailers to stop coming 

But funny thing is i loved every bit and if i did one summer these days with small bales ild loose 3 stone and thats from someone whos got allot to loose ha ha! 

You're really selling it Nigel, maybe you should have been in charge of advertising for the current fruit and veg picking recruitment campaign!:D

• 6 months later...

Yea those front axels are working bob on the only thing missing are the grease nipples  

How did you get the cab tops bob on im only guessing here but for the master top did u use a hair dryer to bend fabricate the top sheet coz they look spot on 

Cheers nigel

Thanks Nigel. The cab tops aren't cast, they're made one at a time, although i probably should cast them as they're a bit labour intensive. There's no fancy trick to them, they're just built up square and the filed/sanded to get the profile

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Stunners John, can’t wait to see a bit of blue on them although the 46 looks like it might be off to work for Durham county council. . 😎

Cheers Martin! Yes, i know what you mean, I ran out of grey primer so its council spec at the moment.😄 You jinxed the weather the other day it seems, we've gone from shirt sleeves back to a dusting of snow this morning, in fact it's just dropping a light snow shower here at the moment

9 hours ago, mb86 said:

I think I did, although it was a grand day today. The tanker is back on ready for tomorrow so no doubt it’ll turn again just in time for the start of lambing🤦🏻

I hope not Martin, we're just over a fortnight away from starting and I've put my order in for a few weeks of good weather, we've had enough sh*t this winter I think!

• Sad 1