International 84 / 85 series

On 1/1/2020 at 10:44 PM, 844john said:

managed to get a coat of primer on:)

WP_20200101_14_11_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20200101_14_14_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20200101_14_13_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20200101_14_28_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20200101_14_28_35_Pro.jpg

This is amazing, the major manufacturers will most probably try to buy your castings.  

I have on my build list a Case 4240, as that is what we had on the farm when I was a boy.  I was planning on converting a Replicagri International 856, if I can find one for the right price.  

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:40 PM, sipher172 said:

This is amazing, the major manufacturers will most probably try to buy your castings.  

I have on my build list a Case 4240, as that is what we had on the farm when I was a boy.  I was planning on converting a Replicagri International 856, if I can find one for the right price.  

Thank you, I'm sure with all their CAD programs (and other things that I don't understand!) they'd be less than impressed with my scribbles on graph paper and dodgy moulds, certainly not what they'd be used to.:D

The replicagri are very good models, the only problem is that the wheelbase of the European models such as the 844/856 is quite a bit longer than the Doncaster tractors which might make the bonnet look out of proportion

13 minutes ago, Paul Palmer said:

that is a quality build John,and a couple of the real deal quite near where I live 

Thanks Paul, they were a popular tractor up here in their day too, plenty of them still working away

10 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Wow John, back on fine form again, I’m impressed! I feel I’m on the verge of getting started again ! 

Brilliant work 

cheers Alastair, there's plenty of other things I should be finishing off, but this one's for me, so it jumped the queue a little:D

8 hours ago, dr-abich said:

MINT. looks awesome. I think You cheating its came from wiking manufacture ;) What am I saying? wiking it's not perfect like this one

Thanks Dominik, only don't look too closely, it's far from perfect!:D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Tidy job there John, looks even better with her top coat on now :)

Cheers Paul, I wanted to get this one out of the way as I've got plenty of other things I really should be getting on with! I might be pestering you for a couple of measurements shortly;)

• Like 1

Fantastic work John, really impressive model.

You might be interested in the following picture....while doing some tidying up over Xmas I found a folder of old info including these copies of some drawings dated 1991. These were late design concepts for the 85 Series replacement, at the time Project LEGO, that became the 4200 Series tractor. 

D435310F-4062-48D1-8238-239C3787B48D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GPS said:

Fantastic work John, really impressive model.

You might be interested in the following picture....while doing some tidying up over Xmas I found a folder of old info including these copies of some drawings dated 1991. These were late design concepts for the 85 Series replacement, at the time Project LEGO, that became the 4200 Series tractor. 

D435310F-4062-48D1-8238-239C3787B48D.jpeg

Thank you Gavin. Those drawings are really interesting, looking at them they seem much more of a departure from the 85 series than the 95 and 4200 turned out to be and are more reminiscent of the later CX series, maybe that was how they wanted the 4200's to turn out but the finances weren't there to make it happen at that time?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 844john said:

Thank you Gavin. Those drawings are really interesting, looking at them they seem much more of a departure from the 85 series than the 95 and 4200 turned out to be and are more reminiscent of the later CX series, maybe that was how they wanted the 4200's to turn out but the finances weren't there to make it happen at that time?

I would have to agree John. I’m going from memory here, but Project LEGO was a ground up new modular tractor. I moved onto the design team in 1990. It got cancelled late 1991, I assume as you say because of funds, as not long after, the Doncaster design team was shut down and engineering moved back to the US. All but a handful of Engineers for local problem solving were made redundant, including myself.....that’s when I left. 

Actually, now you say that, I do remember there being two tractors in a screened off part of the workshops that were just that....85 series with Maxxum cabs fitted. I don’t think they were runners, just styling builds. Eventually we scrapped them.

i hadn’t even remembered that until you said it!

• Like 1