Thats what im thinking Joe, but why?  You just dont see CLAAS combines getting traded in early for other brands, its always the other way around.  The drum hours suggest its not working on a huge acreage, unless it was bought ex demo.   BB at Norwich are a very powerful dealership these days and the X9 is certainly an even match for a Lex 8900, so why didnt the farmer trade up a model to an 8900?  Someone will know.

no dealers  powerful Phil, its just how much they can discount  or are prepared to take a bit of loss even to get the trade (yes that happens) with the prospect of further trade .  farmers will play dealers of against each other with the aim of getting best price, doesnt matter what they ultimately buy brand wise,as long as the cost is right ,just like i do with new cars. the key is to actually move brand if your preferred one wont go low enough, that way next time out its pretty much a cert they will to get you back .

You will find a lot of machinery being bought over the next few months, BPS (Basic Payment Scheme) going means folks wanting to spend before the uncertainty.  That could be playing a small part in this deal, who knows. 

Actually, thinking about it, the X9 is about 300k more than a Lexion 8900, so if the 8800 was traded against one it wouldn't pay for most of it, whatever discount is forthcoming.  Can't imagine that even if it was a duff one Claas wouldn't have sorted it as bound to still be in warranty period.  

You don't hear of many farmers swapping allegiance from Claas, but I suppose some must do.

2 hours ago, AndyB said:

You will find a lot of machinery being bought over the next few months, BPS (Basic Payment Scheme) going means folks wanting to spend before the uncertainty.  That could be playing a small part in this deal, who knows. 

We’re finding the opposite with a lot of people we talk to, they’re saying the cheque book is closed for the year due to uncertainty over everything. 

I’d guess JD dropped their trousers to get the deal and take out a Claas just to try and make out their X9 is better. Seen that done before. 

12 hours ago, Gav836 said:

We’re finding the opposite with a lot of people we talk to, they’re saying the cheque book is closed for the year due to uncertainty over everything. 

I’d guess JD dropped their trousers to get the deal and take out a Claas just to try and make out their X9 is better. Seen that done before. 

Yes, I guess it depends on your outlook Gav.  One of my growers has just done a deal for 2 x 6Rs with Ben Burgess, they must have had a very sharp pencil, as they priced them within a couple of thousand of the equivalent New Hollands...... 

2 minutes ago, phil phoenix said:

Part of JDs conquor the world strategy I suspect....................I like JD products but I dont like this power grab😠 

what you think class haven't done it to get a sale, of jd ,  especially if its on a lease plan, they make huge amounts in the back ground from them, servicing ect plus the interest on the plan.basic business truth be known. 

I noticed also how the 8RX is literally taking out all comers in the 350-420hp tracked market, is it really that much better than offerings from Claas, CASE,NH and Fendt MTs?

And Ive yet to see a 9RX in an opposing dealers yard, but theres plenty of Quadtracs & Challengers building up in JD yards, both brands undercut by competitive pricing!!  I hope they get stuck with all the expensive stock, they deserve too😠

Look how many tractors Sharmans have sold since JD dumped them!!  Lots of red metal going out.  It made little sense to dump such a successful dealership.

Your right about Claas sharp practices as well Sean, maybe because German mega banks arent looking to good presently (Deutschebank are teetering on the edge) its effecting Claas marketing policy.

I dont really care, I just like to see all brands selling not just one big greedy bugger!

Could be currency related as well, with the euro strengthening against the dollar it gives an advantage to mother Deere. 

Plus Deere are going to have a couple massive years in the US, with all the COVID and trade war bailouts last year the farmers recycled the payment into new green paint.  There share price is at pretty extreme levels at present.  

From the farmer point of view it makes financial sense to play one dealer off against the other, both are quality products and it you can save a few £'s in the process then why not?

Maybe Robbo, but traditionally farmers keep combines for at least 4 seasons and quite probably upto 6 or 7.  No matter how good a deal was offered the farmer had to be open to it in the first place. Either the relationship with Claas has soured for some reason or the guy has pots of money and fancied an X9.  The relationship with Claas will certainly have soured after he sold the 8800 to JD.

thinking about it,whats to say the previous owners not downsized land wise ??  o need for a big machine anymore ,a  2 year old one  could well have almost paid of a new t series or fully bought last seasons demo machine .

Aren't Claas also now selling their machinery into American in their own corporate colours instead of Cat / Challenger yellow, That might have something to do with JD sales,??

The American Way.................World beware,

Regards

Joe.

Know for a fact that jd went into thurlow estates recently to oust the lexions and they couldn’t get near claas on price, and they don’t have the parts backup at any dealer that can compete with Manns. It’s worth remembering that rival brands buy each other’s machines when testing/ launching a new machine, and this lexi might just be one of them....who knows. One contractor locally here on 6500 acres has an x9 coming for harvest, has an 8rx that’s going well and was told last week by one of his customers his losing his 2500 acres after harvest....this is how the wheels can come off really quickly in the contracting game. A third of your work for your new combine gone.

Archived