What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

7 hours ago, justy 46 said:

No then. Like sand in the eyes. Eye drops for the next few days . Welding aluminium with the Mig. Normally I don't weld this stuff. Had an airpack on considering the fumes are far worse than the usual mildsteel. . I think the air being pumped into my shield don't help much ether. It dries out my eyes & just adds to the problem. Even on its lowest setting.

I find that with the Air fed masks too, they dry my eyes out also, so i don't wear it with the air pack.... but don't do much aluminium work,  although a few of the lads who are constant on the weld say they get used to it in time..... i must be fairly lucky (touchwood) in 24 years of being in and around welding i've never had a flash yet, although a few have said that because i have to wear my glasses all the time that it also helps save my eyes. Go steady and hopefully you won't get another ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

I find that with the Air fed masks too, they dry my eyes out also, so i don't wear it with the air pack.... but don't do much aluminium work,  although a few of the lads who are constant on the weld say they get used to it in time..... i must be fairly lucky (touchwood) in 24 years of being in and around welding i've never had a flash yet, although a few have said that because i have to wear my glasses all the time that it also helps save my eyes. Go steady and hopefully you won't get another ;)

I was making cattle weigh platforms outa folded aluminium cheq plate. We have 6 welders were I work ..me included. And we take turns at the job  .I hate it. As do the others. The aluminium is very reflective with the weld flashes compared to mildsteel.. I reckon I myself will be wearing glasses soon Paul if I keep this career on ..:huh:

• Like 1

A friend with a chain saw came today and together we chopped down a 30 year old Cedar tree. It was originally planted as a 2 foot high baby in 1988 but since then it has outgrown its allotted space and was starting to overhang the drive so it had to come down. I am not going to be able to get the roots out without affecting the block paved drive and I have no intention of replacing the drive.

A certain fruiterer from Cambridge suggested that I should burn it out but Mrs R isn't keen on that idea so it will have to stay there for the forseeable future or until I have the energy to start digging around it

Tree cutting (1).jpg

Tree cutting (2).jpg

Tree cutting (3).jpg

Tree cutting (4).jpg

• Like 8

Loaded up this morning ready for Abbey Hill. All set up there now for the weekend. The 7710 clearly went down well as i had 3 offers from people wanting to buy it!!! 1 of those was from its previous owner but his wife quickly stopped that ha ha!!

59229892_2211582265594539_2294441438705876992_o.thumb.jpg.005a732e836a0a227a718781c2096459.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, robbo said:

A friend with a chain saw came today and together we chopped down a 30 year old Cedar tree. It was originally planted as a 2 foot high baby in 1988 but since then it has outgrown its allotted space and was starting to overhang the drive so it had to come down. I am not going to be able to get the roots out without affecting the block paved drive and I have no intention of replacing the drive.

A certain fruiterer from Cambridge suggested that I should burn it out but Mrs R isn't keen on that idea so it will have to stay there for the forseeable future or until I have the energy to start digging around it

Tree cutting (1).jpg

Tree cutting (2).jpg

Tree cutting (3).jpg

Tree cutting (4).jpg

could rent a stump grinder mike? if you do it on a bank holiday its normally  pay for 1 day but get all 3 , 

• Like 2

swap with you mike, i am out building an extension with my brother, got to finish the roof ,flashing ect, and hopefully get all the floor timbers in, along with the insulation under it, , think mondays first fix electricals , 

got the wall plates along with all the floor joists in place at the brothers, on his extension, temp floor down and then the first fix wiring in place once we had the levels from the floor, day of tomorrow, then monday will be finish the roof tiles, and flashing making it near on water tight till the bi fold doors arrive , means he can get all the roof insulation in and under floor insulation done. best bit is, hes got 4 weeks to finish it plus a baby meant to be dropping as well, which is 4 days overdue .he dont half pic a time to do stuff 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dusty Dan said:

Very nice, I like military models also, have a few that I made and some diecasts also. Thanks for posting! 

no problem Dan,i know you like your military models as you posted some pictures when I first posted the halftrack,more will be appearing

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, Tractorman810 said:

could rent a stump grinder mike? if you do it on a bank holiday its normally  pay for 1 day but get all 3 , 

Nip down to a local river and nick a Beaver for a day :D 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, smithy said:

Nip down to a local river and nick a Beaver for a day :D 

In Warrington?

You don't get that sort of beaver in Warrington but some may also double as a stump grinder just to keep Sean happy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We have our fair share of stumpy's up here as well, it was always a code used on nights out to describe the attractiveness (or lack of!) of the lasses as the drink flowed! Basically, there were single baggers, double baggers and stumpies. A single bagger required a bag over her head to make her presentable, a double bagger needed one over yours as well in case hers came off, and a stumpy was where upon waking next morning cuddled up next to her you'd rather chop your arm off than risk waking her up!;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Speaking of stumps, my son had a tree cut down and here is what the tree expert did with the stump. Crafted it with this hole, my son stained it, varnished it and put a battery operated lantern inside. The stump with the bark on was before and without the bark on is the way it looks today.

8A4B538E-0EE7-4C6E-808C-2096AEA62913.jpeg

DDFF2CF1-30F9-4C8B-943C-F60511999793.jpeg

0C7A669A-2A2A-4697-AD05-86062C140DBF.jpeg

Edited by Dusty Dan
  • Like 6