ash tree farm, tms farm work in progress

Tractorman810

they did subsided over time james, once the soil dried out it went very sandy, inside several of the barns was like being on a med beach , as they never bothered concreting the area kit sat on, just where the bales or internal silos were. being farmers they were tight so did it all them selfs, only levelling the area, not sub basing ect, then poured a 12” slab, i don't  remember them putting reinforcing mesh in either ,we had a old mixer of a lorry, with a converted pto drive, only the 1250 was man enough to run it properly to be honest ,although the 699 did cope , we   filled it with a bucket in a pointy shape, to tip it in. uncle would run and get the sand and gravel bags of cement ect in our little leyland constructor tipper. can remember helping do 3 new builds inc yards that way over the years .

these i made  are some of the early ones , the test jig was rebuilt each time and the wood base warped a bit, so they do seem to all have their  own depths, not hugely out, but all slightly different which does add to that un even finish, i tried to match pours to minimise it ,i was in catch 22 really as just 6 didn't give me the view i wanted to see if it was a good idea, so i did 30 odd, don't really want to waste them, 

theres another 75 sat ready from the new fixed  mould and they are much more even size and depth wise, even though the  top finishes are all slightly different . 

• Like 1

i guess every part of the country has its ways, i certainly don't remember trowling  the finished surface, dragged a length of timber to get it level ,  only areas smooth were in the piggeries really, to allow proper cleaning out . what do you mean by broom finish then,not a term i have heard of before .

I think Broom finish maybe the American term, basically just lightly roughened surface, most yards I'm in are haulage/truck ones, rather than farms so a rough finish is better for traction, particularly in the wet, ruins the toes on boots when your mechanicing on it mind!

Brush Finish Concrete.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant work, i like old buildings and these look just like the real thing on my uncles old farm

Sean, i hope you don’t mind me asking - what is the stuff you use to make the blocks/slabs and what are the moulds?

i fancy having a go myself making a few and having a play.

hi simon, 

the blocks are from a mould, which i got from a  company called jigstone, its a german company, and its the only 1/32 ones they do, the slabs i made my own mould for, to make them i use a quick set concrete, personally i have found one called jetcem the best, normally get it of eBay, but its around in some builders merchants as well ,Bradford's for sure, and some others . just seems to mix nice and easy, goes of normally in around  45 mins ,which is just right to remove them without breaking them.

Cheers john , well heres how it will sit in the layout, means the 2 anderson units are out now , well for the mo, i may put the silo  on the other side , and put one of the others i have in its place, as this is a dead end effectively so i can jiggle it and maybe both around instead of putting the planned grass  area in , in which case the andersons are back in , time will tell. Slabs have set overnight so form a nice solid base , just need to cast a custom one for the doorway 

6E2053F7-8338-4A39-B7B0-58C566BDF548.jpeg

26C441A5-F927-4307-A2DC-26A1AD9DC97F.jpeg

• Like 5

thanks guys, its getting there , local model shops reopened now, so hopefully in the next few days i can pop in a and get the tube etc i need for all the hand rails, plus look for the paint, as long as work doesn't interfere ,suspect it will, got work booked for the next 2 weeks now and all of it was required last week as normal   

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 10:01 PM, Tractorman810 said:

hi simon, 

the blocks are from a mould, which i got from a  company called jigstone, its a german company, and its the only 1/32 ones they do, the slabs i made my own mould for, to make them i use a quick set concrete, personally i have found one called jetcem the best, normally get it of eBay, but its around in some builders merchants as well ,Bradford's for sure, and some others . just seems to mix nice and easy, goes of normally in around  45 mins ,which is just right to remove them without breaking them.

thanks sean. i thought it was some sort of modelling clay, never thought it would be cement, great idea.

i will keep an eye out for the moulds.

top work with the silo.

got some colour on it now, thought i had bought a matt finish, but got a satin, so will need to cover it with a matt finish, will do this after the decals are on, so its seals them  all in, then onto weathering, one small design issue, my fat pinkies cant reach in the hand rails to get the top lid off, so small bit of rod added to make it easier 

020E0D18-FFA5-46A1-8D20-ED557C3798BE.jpeg

D08D19B6-FE99-42D3-A975-AABC8CE30478.jpeg

5C639435-97B8-45D0-A2CE-ADA27300629D.jpeg

F0CF50DB-2785-4C47-B229-645F6E9DE306.jpeg

CE111973-2429-4446-8F55-E0D9D6DAB8A8.jpeg

• Like 8

Brilliant work Sean. And a lot of it going into the silo and buildings. Would you be able to hide a magnet under the silo lid so you could lift it out with one of those pick up tools, then drop and poke it back on...it’d do away with the bit of rod you needed to add.