Border Fine Arts - Tractors, Horses and Lorries

BC

The top 'spikes' on the haems' on the horses collar on yours Bill are more 'upright' than mine, on mine they're leaning back more but will straighten very carefully as I've discovered that these are metal.

Waiting for this to arrive now, bought off eBay for £7.99 and mine was the only bid, never seen this one myself and the seller only described it as 'a girl and her Westie picking up potatoes' so haven't a clue as to it's 'title untill it comes. With its original box apparently, wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

BFAGirlSpudPicking.jpg

The top 'spikes' on the haems' on the horses collar on yours Bill are more 'upright' than mine, on mine they're leaning back more but will straighten very carefully as I've discovered that these are metal.

Waiting for this to arrive now, bought off eBay for £7.99 and mine was the only bid, never seen this one myself and the seller only described it as 'a girl and her Westie picking up potatoes' so haven't a clue as to it's 'title untill it comes. With its original box apparently, wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

BFAGirlSpudPicking.jpg

Haems that reminds me Tim dad has a shed at a farm with lots of bits and bobs. I haven't been in it for years but I must have a visit because I'm sure he has one if not two pairs if haems in there. Also think there is his mothers baking boards and butter pats etc. All these will come in handy for my mini shed museum when the new tractor shed gets finished.

Back to topic Tim that is another Ebay steal. Can't think I've seen it or what it is called so it could be an older piece. Have you the figurine number.

I'm away to write an article for Model Farmer on BFA's horses and implements so I will be having a dig through my Border Arts folders for some information.

No, nothing in the sellers listing description Bill, just said from the 'farm yard' collection' and sold in the gift shops for £70. When it arrives I'll be able to tell you more about it.

Right, just modifying this post. The figurine has just turned up in the post, that was quick. Anyway, now I can say what it is. Titled 'Potato Picking', the cat number is A4062, series is 'Young Farmers', stamped with artists initials 'P B' and dated 2004. It's quite a big peice and talking scales the girl is roughly to 1:12 I would reckon. Actually looks better than it did in the picture I posted. Will take some more and put up if wanted.

Here are some all round shots of this BFA study, 'Picking Potatoes'. Some really nice detail but looking into the girls eyes she looks like she may have spent the previous night in the pub.

BFAPickingPotatoes01.jpg

BFAPickingPotatoes02.jpg

BFAPickingPotatoes03.jpg

BFAPickingPotatoes04.jpg

BFAPickingPotatoes05.jpg

BFAPickingPotatoes06.jpg

Just received this little beauty today. From the 'Mice On Fruit' series. None of these come with a wooden plynth. The detail is quite stunning and a nice little study for those that like small furry things.

BFAMouseOnBanana01.jpg

BFAMouseOnBanana02.jpg

Never have much trouble with mice as I've got 2 dogs and anything living either of them manage to catch is not living long and pulped.  ;)  By the way Bill, sent you a PM.

BFA studies may be considered the creme de la creme of sculpture studies in farming and related subjects but how many I wonder actually know that they now own 'Country Artists' as well. Concidered by many as 'poor mans BFA' they do actually produce some really good studies and in certain areas are better than BFA. I have just aquired one of these Country Artists studies of a Ferguson TE20. This study is titled 'New Delivery' and was issued in 2003. I don't think that this study is saying the tractor is new, just that it is new to the chap stood by it, in 1947 I think that Argyle wellingtons, boilersuits and Barbour jackets were not yet invented. This study is very big, a lot larger than the BFA studies, I would say twice the size. The tractor is nearer to 1:16 models and the detail is second to none. Here are a few pictures of this quite stunning study.

Take notice of the front side light brackets that actually fold back.

CAT2001.jpg

And the little tufts of grass growing on the yard surface.

CAT2002.jpg

The bonnet actually tips forward.

CAT2003.jpg

The detail of the engine and everything under the bonnet is as good as any UH model. It's even got a padlock on the toolbox.

CAT2005.jpg

The yard surface has in places a shine on the gravel surface in places, especially on the drain cover  just like water, the tractor has just been washed.

CAT2007.jpg

The rear end has everything, check-chains, plough lamp and even the numbers and letters on the numberplate are raised.

CAT2006.jpg

Last few.  The chap to me looks something like Adam off Countryfile and Lambing Live. He's holding the operators handbook for the Fergie and if you magnify the open pages you can actually read them. Wonder if Marky F has one of these? (Probably)

CAT2004.jpg

CAT2008.jpg

i have a country artist study as well. One of a Fordson Major. the tractor is about the same size. Comes very close to 1:16 and the detail is also exquisite. And the price too ;)  . BFA is too expensive for me, as i wont have any money left to purchase the miniatures that are the main part of my collection. Maybe some day, if i win the lottery, or i have the collection nearly complete :(

There were 2 of the Country Artists Fordson Major studies in the tent with the models in the auction at Malvern, did intend to see them sold and for what price but didn't get back there in time, too buisy chatting. Would have liked to know what they made. I think this one's called 'Major Decision'. There are several in the 'series', a Nuffield driving over a bridge is one that springs to mind, a few on eBay at the moment and are making as much as the Border stuff.

If anyone else is interested in acquiring 'Lightly Rolled' then there are 4 more listed on eBay from the same chap as discussed before for the same BIN price of £34.50 + £4.50 p&p. Bargain!!!

• 1 month later...

Looks very nice, lucky its a 950 and not a 990 or me and the wife would be fighting about getting one  ::)

They come in a large well protected box Nick so maybe just as well since the shipping cost to down under would have cost an arm and a leg I would imagine ??? ???

Will be ordering one of these tomorrow. That will make 5 David Brown tractor studies from BFA in my collection.

Mine already ordered via email and asking where is the annual tractor for 2010 the JD with JD round baler ;) ;)

I get mine delivered FOC to Inverurie ( 17 miles from home or 5 from work ) and  since T&H Sinclair's own PH and Ian Sinclair the owner takes up my models anyway ;D ;D