Border Fine Arts - Tractors, Horses and Lorries

BC

Fine looking study Bill but one criticism, the stubble is running the wrong way, would look better if the binder was cutting along the drill lines, never known anyone to cut across the drills.  ;)

Until recently I hadn't paid too much attention to BFA studies.  The when thinking of a 10th wedding anniversary for the missus I had a eureka moment and thought about BFA.  The missus is well into horses so I went into a local gifty type shop and as luck has it they do BFA.  For information the shop is Leslie Ward in Diss, Norfolk.  He is the only one in just about all East Anglia that does BFA.  Well to cut a very long story short I ordered and have recieved 'all set for appelby fair', by Ray Ayres.  It is still in the shop until said anniversary.  I tell you, I looked at it for a solid half hour!  It is one hell of a piece of art!  I was also glued to the tractor studies as well - has a cabinet with several in.

I will post a picture when I get it - but it will never do it any kind of justice.....

All in all, 'if only I had the money' for more!! :'(

Yes post it up when you get it Andy. I sure your missus will love it. I must admit I have spent a fortune on these 76 BFA's but over the years I could have blown all that money on worse things and nothing to be seen for it at the end of the day. The way I see it I have had the enjoyment of them and they will be a form of a pension fund when they get sold with the rest of my models and collection of vintage tractors etc ;D ;D    I'm hoping that will be a a long time away but who knows :-\ :-\

The trouble now is I'm running out of display cabinet space. Thats now the sixth cabinet filled.

17082010013.jpg

17082010014.jpg

I have seventh one like the one above to make up but I'll leave that until next year. I have put my least favourite one back up to the loft in its box

EssentialRepairs1.jpg

I also have three duplicates in the loft acquired for a couple of different reasons ;) ;)

Lifting the Pinks

LiftingthePinks1.jpg

Cut and Crated

CutCrated1.jpg

Hay Baling

Sorry image to follow :-[:-[  I can't find one

Until recently I hadn't paid too much attention to BFA studies.  The when thinking of a 10th wedding anniversary for the missus I had a eureka moment and thought about BFA.  The missus is well into horses so I went into a local gifty type shop and as luck has it they do BFA.  For information the shop is Leslie Ward in Diss, Norfolk.  He is the only one in just about all East Anglia that does BFA.  Well to cut a very long story short I ordered and have recieved 'all set for appelby fair', by Ray Ayres.  It is still in the shop until said anniversary.  I tell you, I looked at it for a solid half hour!  It is one hell of a piece of art!  I was also glued to the tractor studies as well - has a cabinet with several in.

I will post a picture when I get it - but it will never do it any kind of justice.....

All in all, 'if only I had the money' for more!! :'(

Had to google it :D:D  Very nice piece also found another called bought at market which is in a similar vein.

post-16-132639427293_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

In yesterday's post came a postcard inviting me to a Border Fines Arts Event on Saturday 2 nd October 2010 from 10 am to 3 pm at Sinclair's of Inverurie. Ian Sinclair the proprietor owns the Posthorn in Castle Douglas where I buy my models from and they get shipped to Inverurie for me to pay and collect.

There is a Special Edition Piece B1320 a Grey Fergie coming through a gate. It is a very limited edition and only 150 being produced and is designed by Master sculptor Ray Ayres who will sign any purchases on the day.

I was in touch with Ian Sinclair who told me to get in touch with Heather at Castle Douglas since being the good customer I am she had already allocated one for me. Ian said to confirm with Heather if I wanted one which I did and I asked if the 10% loyalty discount applied. Heather said she would have to check with Ian due to the very limited number and sure enough she came back saying I would get it. So that's another £ 247.50 which will be spent on models this year but the way things are just now it's probably better than money in the bank or even the biscuit tin under the bed ;) ;)

21092010001.jpg

21092010002.jpg

Yes Brian I may have too but I may be able to squeeze in this one depending upon size.

As I said if you are up early to Aberdeenshire for the Stewart Trailer visit on Tuesday the 2nd of November you are welcome to stop in by for a cuppa and see the BFA's and the 5 vintage tractors.

Yes Brian I may have too but I may be able to squeeze in this one depending upon size.

As I said if you are up early to Aberdeenshire for the Stewart Trailer visit on Tuesday the 2nd of November you are welcome to stop in by for a cuppa and see the BFA's and the 5 vintage tractors.

have i missed a date change bill? thursday the 4th of november

• 2 weeks later...

Today after lunch I went across to the Sinclair's of Inverurie annual Border Fine Arts event which I normally miss since it clashes with the Scottish National Tractor Show at Lanark.

Anyway both the master sculptor Ray Ayres was there and painter Diane Hope. Diane was the painter who repainted my Leyland wheels the correct colour of silver instead of the cream colour they had used  a few years back at the Posthorn event held at Castle Douglas.

Here is Diane at work

02102010001.jpg

Some of the work in progress at the event

02102010002.jpg

02102010003.jpg

02102010004.jpg

02102010005.jpg

Moving on

02102010011.jpg

The master himself who uses a lot of dentist's tool's ;) ;)

02102010012.jpg

The finished articles ready and awaiting the individual hand painting...in fact no two of the limited editions will be painted the same  8) 8)

02102010013.jpg

02102010014.jpg

02102010015.jpg

I can almost hear that dog in the last photo barking..... ;) ;) ...their animals in my opinion are so so good 8) 8)

Diane in deep concentration

02102010016.jpg

Well I got  my Border Fine Art Classic No B1320 a limited production of only 150 and a Special Edition Piece for less than expected 8)

When I was about to key in my credit card number it said £ 200 which I said that can't be right.... ( I should not say things like that >:( ) but the assistant said no that is correct it was advetised as £ 275 but the real price was £ 225 and with your 10% loyalty discount the price is £ 200...well I did not argue but £ 225 less 10% would have been £ 202.50....yet another saving of £ 2.50....winner 8) 8)

02102010017.jpg

02102010018.jpg

02102010019.jpg

02102010020.jpg

Well that is my 68 th Border Fine Arts purchase since I started collecting them back in 1997. In addition I have 10 annual member figurines since 2001 so my collection totals 78. In addition my mum likes them and I think she has another three..so well I count my overall tally as 81 ;D ;D

The Screwfix stand and artist's canvas and and old ironing white cover sheet used for the outside photosht 8) 8)

02102010026.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention the name of the figurine

Checking The Ewes

02102010027.jpg

That is a great new addition to the collection. Thanks for all of the photos, nice to see skilled craftspeople at work. IMO you can't beat the realism in BFA products they are second to none. I don't collect them but always marvel at them when I see them in the shops. Great stuff.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed them Scott. They are not cheap but then again designed and the limited edition ones made in Scotland so you have to pay for quality ;D ;D

I'm planning to write another Border Fine Arts article...Border Fine Art's Part 4 for Model Farmer Magazine No 3and this time cover farm implements pulled by horse and also steam and ones with both tractor and horse in them

The only problem with them is the scale approx 1/16  and they take up a lot of space to display and they need to be in cabinets to avoid dust. I really need to think of extending the house and have a "Fine Arts" room added :-\ :-\