Border Fine Arts - Tractors, Horses and Lorries

BC

First Cut is the one I'm still looking for Bill to complete the David Brown collection, missed one first time around, went back to the shop a week after I'd found the cash to buy it and the shop was gone!

First Cut is the one I'm still looking for Bill to complete the David Brown collection, missed one first time around, went back to the shop a week after I'd found the cash to buy it and the shop was gone!

I'm sure one may well come along at the right price for you Tim. I see the Posthorn Castle Douglas still have one on their website for £ 1,800 but I paid quite a good bit less than half that price.

In addition there was another one for sale No 109 /1500 and although I saw it had a certificate it had no packaging or box and the cutting bar was broken where the man is holding it at the top and also at the sole plate at the bottom. I'm sure it could have been easily repaired by BFA ( a service they provide .....at a cost) but I suspect Superglue or some other type of glue could have done the trick :huh:

The said model sold at £ 320 but when you add on £ 32 for commission and 20% VAT on commission £ 6.40 the take home price was £ 358.40......which was just a little more than the RRP when new back in 1993...but not a model I marked to bid for due to damage.

P1000758.jpg

Fair play Bill,this is without doubt one of the finest collections here.

Well thanks Chris...I m glad you like it as much as I do 8)

It has taken me 16 years to get to where I am today with 85 BFA figurines which includes 10 of the BFA Annual membership ones but I have had a lot of pleasure in collecting then and admiring them in six cabinets ( soon to be seven) in my home over the years.

The first two tractors from 1991 "New Technology Arrives" - Blue Water Washer Fordson and 1992 "The Fergie) - Grey Ferguson ploughing still elude my collection to make it complete and oh the Millemium one "The Threshing Mill" with a RRP of £ 2,000...but I heard yesterday of one of the 600 for sale quite a bit cheaper than that...but oh it is such a large model it would need a display case to itself ;D ;D

Here are some photos of one which resides only a few miles away from me

Misc090708001.jpg

Misc090708002.jpg

Misc090708003.jpg

Misc090708004.jpg

Misc090708005.jpg

Anyway I in no hurry to get those remaining three but well if I find them at the right price etc I may well buy just to have the full collection of tractor Border Fine Art figurines ;D ;D

Edited by BC

Pitty the other one had the damage Bill but the price reflected that, it would have gone for a lot more otherwise I suspect, I'm sure that one will turn up at some time, they say that everything comes to he who waits. I had their spring 2012 catalogue the other day in the post listing their event days and the venue that is closest to me is the one at Kentisbeare village hall 14th April. Kentisbeare is quite close to me, just North of Okehamton, about 40 minutes, roughly 25 miles or so from me, I'll have to go sometime. They do attend the Devon County Show as well now of which the show site is only 20 minutes away.

Thanks Wil but I heard of one of . at the weekend around 3/4 of the RRP of £ 2,000 when 600 were issued in 2000...I certainly am interested but well it is a large model and would require a carpenter made display case.....anyone including yourself Wil since sadly my dad is no longer able to indulge in his trade he first started doing in the mid 1940's....he still has the time but does not have the energy he used to have as couple of years ago following a heart attack and the following operations and health problems he has suffered with since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I added another BFA from the Studio range. Its even smaller than normal and I suspect it may be around 1/32 scale but I don't have a MF35 in that scale to compare.

A22829

Repairs Required

P1000980.jpg

P1000981.jpg

P1000982.jpg

P1000983.jpg

P1000984.jpg

Farmer is chocking his hammer and won't have much weight on the head...he better watch someone doesn't cut a bit off the shaft...since he isn't making fulll use of his hammer ;D ;D

P1000985.jpg

Edited by BC

• 1 month later...

The first tractor from 1991 "New Technology Arrives" - Blue Water Washer Fordson arrived for me today. Only the year two one The Fergie to complete my collection an that is under negotiation.

P1010750.jpg

P1010751.jpg

P1010752.jpg

P1010753.jpg

P1010754.jpg

Edited by BC

Thanks Barry I'm well pleased with it. I can still remember seeing my grandad's one on his farm in the 60's as a child but with rubbers....the engine had blown but was still kept in a little shed...then it was sold to a scrap merchant for a fiver and all he would have done was belted the back end casting with a male hammer to get the bronze crown and bevel....I recall the number was SA XXXX...but mum may remember the numbers or I might even have used Dymo tape to put the number behind my Mamod steam engine and wagon :ha ha!:

There is another story regarding grandad's water washer blue Fordson......on the 31st October 1957 (before I was born I will add) he bought a brand new Nuffield Universal DM4 reg OSA 181 which I still have covered up in the back of my garage with various covers over the old girl ;D ;D ...convo, jdc, mr softie and Layla will testify to that ;D ;D

Granddad died in 1969 and after granny died circa 1977/1978mum was clearing the house and found the original invoice so that came to me as well as the tractor which my dad bought for me in 1978 for £150 since he would not help me buy a motorbike.......wise move now me thinks although at the time I wanted transport.

Anyway as you will maybe see from the invoice the cost of the Nuffield delivered was £ 736 and 11 shillings before there was a deduction for the second hand allowance of the SH Fordson for £ 35....below that you will see in grandad's writing the add on for buying back the Fordson for £ 17 and it never left the farm ...but he got £ 18 discount on a £ 736 tractor which was around 4.75% which I assume he was pleased with.

Nuffybillofsale-1.jpg

Oh and here is a photo of a harvest in the early 60's which mum took...grandad is with his collie dog looking on a a ruck is being built...my dad is even there helping out and he was a joiner / floor layer and not farmer...you can tell by the lack of the farmers cap ;D ;D

ST839315.jpg

great stories behind the Fordson sculpture this way, that it took this long to finally find it's way to your collection makes me wonder a bit due to the sentiments behind the tractor.

about the sculpture, the tractor seems to have a bit of too narrow front although i can see directly why these BFA's became so popular

it is great that you are possibly able to complete your collection soon, but are you not afraid you'll fall into a black hole for not having to look for those missing models anymore? for some it is the hunt that makes it soo special to collect!

I think the 'black hole' would be more like the price you would possibly have to pay for obsolete studies, some of them more than double their original issue price, especially the limited ones, it's very rare indeed to come across any that are the same or lower than the original price unless you're very lucky. For anyone that does collect them, and I'm sure that Bill will agree, bite the bulklet and buy them when they are first released, usually the cheapest way of obtaining them.

great stories behind the Fordson sculpture this way, that it took this long to finally find it's way to your collection makes me wonder a bit due to the sentiments behind the tractor.

about the sculpture, the tractor seems to have a bit of too narrow front although i can see directly why these BFA's became so popular

it is great that you are possibly able to complete your collection soon, but are you not afraid you'll fall into a black hole for not having to look for those missing models anymore? for some it is the hunt that makes it soo special to collect!

I know of a waterwasher Fordson on rubbers locally Wil so I must try and compare the real deal with the model...thanks for that Wil I can see a future article for Model FARMER coming up....BFA tractors compared to the real deal...since it would be fairly easy for me to source the real deals since I have been rallying tractors for 31 years now and I must say I enjoy that hobby probably more so than models.....but only if the days out are warm and sunny and rain free ;D ;D

I do agree the buzz in collecting is getting those elusive models Wil but if I'm complete on Border Fine Arts I will just switch to Britain's and there are still many early Fordson's which elude my collection.

I think the 'black hole' would be more like the price you would possibly have to pay for obsolete studies, some of them more than double their original issue price, especially the limited ones, it's very rare indeed to come across any that are the same or lower than the original price unless you're very lucky. For anyone that does collect them, and I'm sure that Bill will agree, bite the bulklet and buy them when they are first released, usually the cheapest way of obtaining them.

Yes I bite the bullet every time a new release comes out Tim and as long as I can afford it I will continue to do so.....mind you I have been doing that with Britain's for a while as well and the problem I will encounter soon is space to store and display ;D ;D

I reached the second point two years ago Bill! 3000 tractors later and space is very much at a premium but I am continuing with any David Brown models that come along and possibly can find a small nook somewhere for any more lead figures.