3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

The anouncment that mad cow disease  has been found in a herd in scotland , can remember it back last time it was down here, huge fires burning to get rid of the caucus’s of the cattle put down , and the smell that hung over the area for days after , hopefully its not a major outbreak  

I here that God it was bad here in Ireland back in the day not good for farmers here in Ireland 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 844john said:

Certainly hope not Sean , the last thing farming needs right now is yet more adverse publicity or another food scare

i really hope not,when it hit last time it was amazing how quickly it seemed to spread,from 1 farm in cornwall i think it was ,to all of a sudden most of devon  and cornwall ,everything was shut down movement wise and fires just kept appearing everywhere across both counties , with new outbreaks miles away from the first. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i really hope not,when it hit last time it was amazing how quickly it seemed to spread,from 1 farm in cornwall i think it was ,to all of a sudden most of devon  and cornwall ,everything was shut down movement wise and fires just kept appearing everywhere across both counties , with new outbreaks miles away from the first. 

I hope this doesn't get a fraction as bad as before.  I still have fields that show the marks where the fires were!

• Sad 1

Although this isn't at all good news, I think we are getting mixed up with foot and mouth disease, I'm sure with BSE, only the animals which developed the disease were culled and incinerated. Hopefully the report or the diagnosis is wrong, as john said the last thing we need right now is another good scare. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Although this isn't at all good news, I think we are getting mixed up with foot and mouth disease, I'm sure with BSE, only the animals which developed the disease were culled and incinerated. Hopefully the report or the diagnosis is wrong, as john said the last thing we need right now is another good scare. 

That's exactly what i was thinking Martin, only affected animals were culled, and they weren't burnt on site but taken away to be disposed of, the fires were the sad effects of foot and mouth, and I hope I never see that again in my lifetime

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 844john said:

That's exactly what i was thinking Martin, only affected animals were culled, and they weren't burnt on site but taken away to be disposed of, the fires were the sad effects of foot and mouth, and I hope I never see that again in my lifetime

The biggest issue for us would be the re introduction of the over 30 month rule where no cattle over that age could enter the good chain, geld cows are a good trade at the minute.

Foot and mouth was horrendous and although we didn't have any animals slaughtered I can remember looking down over baldersdale watching stock being dumped in trucks and led away, I honestly don't think I could have coped if out stock had been taken out. :(

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mb86 said:

The biggest issue for us would be the re introduction of the over 30 month rule where no cattle over that age could enter the good chain, geld cows are a good trade at the minute.

Foot and mouth was horrendous and although we didn't have any animals slaughtered I can remember looking down over baldersdale watching stock being dumped in trucks and led away, I honestly don't think I could have coped if out stock had been taken out. :(

That's true Martin,  re-introducing the over 30 month rule would have a disastrous result on the geld cow trade again. As for foot and mouth, we were taken out and I spent a good few months working on the welfare scheme, which was basically a criminal waste of perfectly healthy animals, but for the powers that be certainly proved an effective way of reducing livestock numbers in this country....

• Like 2

Criminal would be a good word to describe what happened leading up to fmd

49 minutes ago, 844john said:

That's true Martin,  re-introducing the over 30 month rule would have a disastrous result on the geld cow trade again. As for foot and mouth, we were taken out and I spent a good few months working on the welfare scheme, which was basically a criminal waste of perfectly healthy animals, but for the powers that be certainly proved an effective way of reducing livestock numbers in this country....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mb86 said:

dam and blast your right there, both were close together wernt they, either way its not nice to see mad cow appear again, that said it never stopped me eating beef and it did no harm honest :D

• Like 4

I think there has been one or two individual isolated cases in the uk in recent years since the height of BSE in the mid 90's, so don't think it's anything

3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

dam and blast your right there, both were close together wernt they, either way its not nice to see mad cow appear again, that said it never stopped me eating beef and it did no harm honest :D

to be worried about just yet, often things like this are picked up on imported cattle before they have contact with stock in this country. Although it's good that we find out about such things quickly it's probably the media having yet another farmer bashing and I don't think it was a good idea for it to be plastered all over faceslap. Wonder if towniefile sorry countryfile will join in and stir the pot this weekend. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

The anouncment that mad cow disease  has been found in a herd in scotland , can remember it back last time it was down here, huge fires burning to get rid of the caucus’s of the cattle put down , and the smell that hung over the area for days after , hopefully its not a major outbreak  

Foot and mouth mate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mb86 said:

Criminal would be a good word to describe what happened leading up to fmd

Squeaky bum time for us at the moment mate, but there has been at least 10 reported cases since the main bse outbreak all those years ago. If they contain it, they will be fine. We are a totally closed herd now, so we can keep an eye on things. It makes me laugh, bse and f&m take the headlines, but as you and John know, far more cattle over the years have been slaughtered due to tb. It’s the sheep boys and girls that bore the worst of the f&m, don’t get me wrong, us cattle people had it bad, but the sheep numbers killed were horrific. All our bull  fatteners are entire and go at 16 months, it’s the heifers we will struggle with if the 30 month rule came back, ours go 32 to 34 months sometimes, enables slow trickle out of the unit to keep regular cash coming in. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

Squeaky bum time for us at the moment mate, but there has been at least 10 reported cases since the main bse outbreak all those years ago. If they contain it, they will be fine. We are a totally closed herd now, so we can keep an eye on things. It makes me laugh, bse and f&m take the headlines, but as you and John know, far more cattle over the years have been slaughtered due to tb. It’s the sheep boys and girls that bore the worst of the f&m, don’t get me wrong, us cattle people had it bad, but the sheep numbers killed were horrific. All our bull  fatteners are entire and go at 16 months, it’s the heifers we will struggle with if the 30 month rule came back, ours go 32 to 34 months sometimes, enables slow trickle out of the unit to keep regular cash coming in. 

At least with BSE it's only transmitted to the offspring of the animals carrying the disease in the womb, in that sense it should be easy to contain due to the complete traceability of cattle. Our livelihood is difficult enough without the worry of  another disease and it's control measures to contend with. We are lucky enough to be in a TB4 area round here and despite one scare that turned out to be a non reactor, that one cow still affected 30 something farms but it seems to be keeping at bay. I know it's a serious issue in many parts of the uk and my upmost respect goes to you for having to go through it on your farm. Hopefully this BSE will be an isolated case im sure someone payed better than the rest of us will surface and give a statement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

What Im finding most sad about farming now is the speed and efficiency that the job is done at...…………………………….I came home from work during the week and passed an empty field of 30 acres of sugar beet that had been harvested during the day!!   Harvested so quick I didn't even get to see any machinery, and the field was left in such good condition that a cultivator drill could have gone in right behind the mystery harvester!!    This is so boring to me,  I remember 20 years ago when the bunker harvesters were in their infancy and two or three tractor trailers were required to keep the machine going.   And quite often it was in a quagmire too:D and 10 acres a day was an achievement...…………………….same now goes for Potatoes as well.  And cereal combining has gotten super quick as well now that even the guys with 400 acre farms can afford to run a 20yr old Lexion that can cut the whole acreage in 3 days. 

Its no wonder Im reverting to collect more 80s and 90s models and less of the modern day stuff...…………..Bring back the 8210, 3650 and 3090 I say.

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a collection of 1:32 scale Prodrive Rothmans rally cars, but I don't have the original of the species, the 911 SC RS.

Today I found out that SlotWings have done a boxed set of two of the three UK registered 911 SC RS, A974BRX and A454BJB as they ran in the 1985 Tour De Corse.

Billy Coleman drove BRX to 4th in the 85 Tour De Corse and BJB to 5th in the 85 Circuit of Ireland.

But there is no way I can justify £335 for the boxed set.

This makes me sad.

(although I am off down the shop to buy a Lotto ticket)

https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/porsche-911sc-rothmans-tour-de-course-1985.html

long night and morning so far, my brothers other half went into labour thursday eve / friday  morning but not regular contractions , 12 hours later she went into hospital and after a total 24 odd hours in labour she was rushed in for an emergency c section around midnight last night , totally worn out and  now it seems that the baby also pooped in the womb, and the docs have no idea when it happened , so the little fella is currently  in intensive care being checked for possible lack of oxygen to the brain, not heard from him directly , but shes now up and walking but they wont give any time for him to leave or what the results are yet 

• Sad 2