The Aughton Valley Collection

David i see you have my bible in your book case, id be lost with out all 4 in the series

The crawler tractor scrap book

The best books i have on nz machine history,

how do you rate it?

You have a very impressive and large colection how long has it taken to build up?

Nick

Thank you Nick. :) It's a fantastic book, filled with so many fascinating crawlers and some great photographs from New Zealand too. I've largely neglected buying books on the subject of tractors and plant for quite sometime in preference for buying models instead. The wheel seems to have come full circle looking back. Although a few tractors and machinery escaped the carboot sales I had many years ago, one of my main reasons for selling my original childhood carpet farming fleet was to finance literature and film instead. In fact my first two trips to Spalding back in '98 and '99 yielded very few models save for a couple of Toy Farmer artics and 1/43rd scale Ertl tractors whereas the most of my pennies went on books and videos.

The majority of 1/32nd scale tractors in my collection I've assembled in the last two to three years Nick. My first true collection outside of carpet farming was the smaller scale Ertl vintage and classic machines which I began putting together in the mid nineties. I have around twenty of these now which all started with the red and grey Ford rowcrop machine. I started collecting articulated tractors on my first trip to Spalding back in 1998 when my eyes lit up at the sight of the triple wheeled Toy Farmer edition Big Bud 440. This is still one my favourite models in my collection and I have quite a few books and DVDs to satisfy my enthusiasm for prairie monsters too. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Having dug out the sales brochure on the Clayton Buggi I decided to delve a little further and unearth a few other leaflets on sprayers I have in my small collection of manufacturer's literature. Although I don't go out of my way to collect brochures i've been lucky enough to receive a number of kind donations from friends in the past who were simply going to throw them in the bin, i've also snaffled a few from shows i've been to and my Dad has contributed many through his line of work in the construction industry.

Clayton 4105 Buggi.

DSC06870.jpg

Tecnoma AT 80 R.

DSC06877.jpg

Cleanacres

DSC06878.jpg

Chavtrac Chaviot 2000

DSC06879.jpg

Chavtrac (Melroe) Spra Coupe

DSC06880.jpg

Bateman RB15

DSC06881.jpg

howd i miss this topic?

wow...what a collection, :of must be very proud of it david.

wish i have the space to display mine like that... must post some more pictures of mine once ive sorted them all and the exams have passed

howd i miss this topic?

wow...what a collection, :of must be very proud of it david.

wish i have the space to display mine like that... must post some more pictures of mine once ive sorted them all and the exams have passed

Thank you Simon, appreciated. I'm very pleased with how it's progressed and how i've been able to display them all. I still have a little more space to play with within my room and a few potential ideas to give them all and any future purchases a largely dust free environment, watch this space. :) Looking foward to seeing further photographs from your own collection. :)

Nice, David. Not much point in a collection if it isn't going to be on show or in a cabinet. I hope I can have a couple, one for childhood Britains and one for machines driven.

I have to say though, when you wrote 'Magazine Collection' I held my breath. . . ! :D;)

Nice, David. Not much point in a collection if it isn't going to be on show or in a cabinet. I hope I can have a couple, one for childhood Britains and one for machines driven.

I have to say though, when you wrote 'Magazine Collection' I held my breath. . . ! :D;)

Thanks Tris, appreciated mate, i'll always endeavour to keep as much of my collection displayed as i'm not all that sentimental towards  some of the boxes they come in. I was hoping to add a few more models today from the "UK Tractor Show" as i'm unable to attend Birmingham tommorow. But I was very disapointed to discover there weren't any stands at all even from local traders and dealerships with models for sale. Despite there been a few nice real tractors on display which I photographed I thought it was a poor event.

I perhaps could have been a little more specific as to the subject matter of my magazines even if the May edition of Classic Tractor has a wonderfully gratuitous blue image showing off plenty of "front" on the cover. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Some recent additions:

Universal Hobbies Renault Ergos and hedgecutter. I found this model gathering dust in a local haunt of mine and thought it was deserving of the space I had remaining alongside the rest of my small collection of Renault tractors, it's a really nice model.

DSC07365.jpg

DSC07366.jpg

Old news this one, but i'm rather impressed with the Britains John Deere 7930. I've been after one for a while to add to my modern fleet of RC2 green and yellow machines.

DSC07367.jpg

Finally this baby blue from Siku. Very much a toy, I bought this mainly because I used to operate one back in my carpet farming days, and I think it looks quite nice lined up alongside it's terracotta sister. The Kuhn fertiliser spreader ( perhaps a little bit large for the 5635? ) was a freebie. So i'm rather pleased I ended up with the pair for a tenner.

DSC07368.jpg

DSC07369.jpg 

Very nice new items you have add to your collection. The new holland L 75 from siku you don't see that often anymore.

texas

Thanks Bas. I've had the Siku L75 a while now. It was another of many models i've purchased that was sat forgotten at the back of a shelf in box that had seen better days. I couldn't resist but give it a new home and paid very little money for the privilege of ownership. I haven't seen many of Fiatagri versions before so i'm rather pleased to have one in my collection even if it's a very basic but functional toy. :)

great new purchases david

love the 1/16 countys the massey looks smart too with the (imber?) a frame

Thanks Rich. You're spot on it's the Imber frame on the front of the 7499 and that's how i've decided to display the model on my "fergie shelf" in one of my cabinets, very impressed with it.

Delighted to have finally got my hands on a UH 654, my Super 4 looked at little bit lost sat on it's own in my collection. Despite having had a good look at most of the UH 1/16 scale tractors in the past they haven't interested me as much as their smaller counterparts, but i'm a huge County fan so will probably keep collecting those in the future. :)

Nice additions David.

Could you please tell me if the front wheels on the 1/16th County's are able to steer, and if so by how much.

Thanks Mark. They do but only by very small amounts, barely 5mm either side. The articulation and movement of the driveshafts and steering ram is much more fluid on my 654 compared to the Super 4 which are very stiff when trying to accomplish any steering movement. There's certainly more lock available on the 654. Hopefully these photographs i've quickly taken show this. :)

Super 4

DSC07398.jpg

DSC07397.jpg

DSC07400.jpg

DSC07399.jpg

Plenty of shunting around on the headlands needed with these then  :laugh:

Thanks for the pictures David  :)

Your welcome Mark, glad to have been of some assistance. It would appear so given the level or rather lack of lock on these models. :) I've had the pleasure of briefly giving a friend's 1004 a work out on a six furrow conventional Ransomes in the past, proved to be an interesting challenge at the headlands for a "rookie" like myself compared to the more modern unequal 4wd tractors i've played on, enjoyed every second of the experience. :)

some nice additions there david, wonder how long it will be till uh do some implements to add on the back of these 16th models,

Thanks Sean, very pleased with my recent purchases especially the UH Massey and 1/6th scale County. It would be great if UH were to start making some compatible and period implements for these tractors. We've had a Claas baler and a muckspreader I think in this scale, but it would be really nice to see some more especially suited to tractors such as the Countys. The other option I guess, ( aside from waiting for UH ) having drooled obsessively once again over his magnificent minature engineering skills, is to save up and invest in some of Dr Andy Sewell's work.     

Some great new items you have there. Like the county 8)

Texas

Thanks Bas, delighted with the County 654, I wonder whether they will release a 754 next or one of the six cylinder machines next? I had a really good look at the Ford 7000 and 7600 tractors they make in 1/16th too at the place I bought the County but resisted the temptation, i'll be sticking to the County variants for the time being in this scale. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few photographs of my most recent "prairie monster" purchase, one i've been looking forward to for a while now since photographs appeared on here of the model a while back, the Ertl Plow City John Deere 8760. Definitely one of my favourite articulated tractors ( although I do ever so slightly prefer the older 8640 ) this is a very well put together model and an execellent representation of the real deal. It will be interesting to see which direction they follow next, an 8970 on triples or much wider duals would be nice, but personally i'm still hankering after an 8850.

DSC07509.jpg

DSC07510.jpg

DSC07511.jpg

Showing it's larger size alongside my other Plow City edition tractor, an older 8640.

DSC07514.jpg

My current collection of articulated John Deeres gets an airing before being rearranged in the cabinet.

DSC07507.jpg

The 8760 is looking great. Also a very nice deere collection.

Texas

Thanks Bas, i'm very impressed with it, it's also one of the heaviest artic models I now have in my collection. There's still a few other John Deere pivot steer models out there I'd like to collect in the future and hopefully one day they'll do an 8850. :)

i recon i would buy one of those if it had the rear quick hitch like its smaller brothers i must say, looks great till you see the backend

Agree Sean, it would certainly improve an otherwise smart model ( bonnett and cab detail are very good ) and one of the reasons why I prefer the older 8640.