The Aughton Valley Collection

Your collection is fast growing. You have some great new items in your collection.

Texas

Thank you Baz, the more space I create with the cabinets, the quicker I want to fill it :)

coming on nicely that collection david, i still need a few more older tractors for my collection, couple of the later fiats, and the volvo 805's ,red cab and black,

Thanks Sean, i'm really pleased with how it's growing, and i'm really enjoying getting stuck into this hobby now, even more so since i've been posting on here. I remember having 3 of the Britains Fiats once upon a time, nice tractors. I had the orange dual wheeled 90/90 and half track version and latterly bought a terracotta 880 off a friend to join them. I'd love to own examples of them again. I'm planning on heading to Spalding again later in the year and this will probably be my focus of attention, recreating what I had on my original carpet farm. I'm not really that interested in M.I.B ones just good clean un-boxed examples. Might attempt to put a list together later today of all the tractors i've previously had which will include a few older Ertl and Siku machines too.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This morning I reached the bottom of the stairs into the lounge and thought to myself by the looks of the colour of the carpet it was time for harvest to commence. Now I know it's nothing like having a layout or diorama like some of the amazingly brilliant detailed work that is posted on here by members, but after the little carpet farming photo shoot I cobbled togther, i've decided sometime in the future I'd really like a layout.

I'd like to have one day a contemporary classic Ford/modern New Holland mixed farm based around tractors and farming practices that my Uncle has previously or currently operates on the farm in Dalby. I'm hoping to at least collect the models or have them built first because I know under current circumstances and living arrangements I don't have any space or opportunity to start constructing something substantial.

So here's the cast members from today's carpet harvest: Britains New Holland CX880 alongside my Ertl Ford TW15 with the Britains Marston trailer.

DSC04652.jpg

DSC04653.jpg

DSC04656.jpg

DSC04659.jpg

DSC04661.jpg   

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely collection there David great to see your collection growing,  the tw15 looks to be working hard alongside the cx880 great pictures :) :) :)

Thank you Adam, appreciated mate, i've recently added a few more items to my collection will post some pictures of them soon. Enjoyed setting up the CX880 / TW15 photographs, just wish I had a couple of drivers in them. TW15 is probably my favourite of the old Ertl models I have. :)

tell you what david, take a drive round east anglia and i bet you would find that scene for real, loads of farmers get new harvestors but keep older tractors, we swapped harvestors every 3 years tops, but tractors were more like 10 years plus

tell you what david, take a drive round east anglia and i bet you would find that scene for real, loads of farmers get new harvestors but keep older tractors, we swapped harvestors every 3 years tops, but tractors were more like 10 years plus

I'd love to find some real life harvest scenes like that to capture this summer Sean, might have to find a working event or sale to give myself an excuse for a little road - trip. Tends to be quite a mixture of combinations on the farms I live closest to, quite a few 10+ year old harvesters working alongside new or nearly new tractors on the medium sized farms, prime example just down the road from where I live theres a very early version of a New Holland TX63 that will line up alongside a nearly new T6000 series New Holland. However there's still the small matter of capturing some decent action shots of the New Holland TF46 and bubble cabbed TW-25 that live not far from me, just need a break in the weather now.   

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my latest purchases from my short trip down to Pickering Steam Rally today. Rather pleased to find the 1/25 scale ROS set even though the tractors aren't the most detailed, I really like the F130 and the Fergy isn't too bad but from photographs of the real deal i've seen I don't think the bonnet is quite the correct type and the implements that came with them are not that pretty. I paid very little for the set and i'm chuffed to have extended my 1/25 scale collection a little further. I got a good deal on the pair of UH McCormicks too, very pleased with them both.

DSC05005.jpg

DSC05006.jpg

DSC05007.jpg 

DSC05008.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got my hands on the new Britains JCB Fastrac 7230 a couple of days ago and i'm really pleased with it.

Having seen the real deal being demonstrated on a few occasions I think they're a really impressive looking machine even though the styling probably isn't to everyones taste.

First up the real one:

DSC01488.jpg

The model shown alongside the bigger Siku 8250 model:

Aside from the much more plastic nature of the Britains toy/model compared to the Siku example and slightly odd angle the front wheels are at I reckon this is a decent effort by Britains, particularly for a collector like myself who enjoys displaying models in themed line ups. They've picked out some nice details with a bit of extra colour being splashed around in the cab. Curious to note the paint finish is a much darker shade of yellow compared to the rest of the Fastrac models I own. At the end of the day who else makes a 7230 model? Noone (as far as i'm aware) and that's why i'm very happy to have this tidy model in my collection.

If I had kids of my own however and they wanted a Fastrac on their carpet farm i'd always treat them to the Siku model over the Britains version. Why? It's put together much more solidly and posesses far more playability with better linkages both front and back. The front link arms on the Britains 7230 are a complete waste of time and serve only as a potential hazard surely for our younger generations, they come off far too easily, why couldn't they have fitted the Siku derived a-frame just as they did to the John Deere 8330?

DSC05606.jpg

DSC05607.jpg

DSC05609.jpg

DSC05610.jpg

A couple of other recent purchases. Very pleased to have found a "cheap" Ertl John Deere 8530 and i'm rather taken with the Siku Valtra too. Another smart chunky effort from Siku:

DSC05613.jpg 

Some very nice new items you have there. Your collection is growing fast.

texas

Thanks Baz, very pleased with my recent purchases, especially the "big deere" it was sat hidden underneath a load of ROS Laverda M306 combine models, there was no way I was leaving the shop without it, definitely one of my favourites. :)

You will be running out of space soon :D

You're not wrong Peter  :D There's still a few gaps in the stand alone cabinet to fill and i've got some bookcase shelf space available, but when I come back from Leeds Festival i'm planning on looking for another cheap cabinet.  ;)

seeing both them fastracs together makes me want to go for the siku alternative :-\ very nice collection you got there ;)

oh and on the first page you have case stx in your cabinet what do you think of it ???

Thanks Griffithsbros, appreciated. :) The Siku 8250 is a very solid representation of the real thing both as a toy and a shelf model, the bonnet also opens up to reveal some engine detail too, I think I paid around £20 for it compared to £14.99 for the Britains 7230.

As for the STX, again as a shelf/display model I think it's really good effort from Britains, the paint finish, decals and details are very well finished on the example I have, i'd definitely recommend it, i'll post some pictures of it out of the cabinet later on for you. ( camera battery on charge at the moment )

I'm aware there is also a "Prestige Collection" 535 Pro out from RC2 aswell now but i'm not sure the model justifies the higher price ( over £10 more ) from the photographs i've seen of it. If you want even more detail from a Quadtrac model there's always the option of converting a rather delicious Ertl Precision triple wheeled STX onto tracks like some brave soul on here did a while back......I think i'll stick with my "bog standard" one and look out for a Precision wheeled STX to sit in the cabinet next to it. :D 

nice additions mate, them siku valtras do look good but for one thing, to me the cab seems a little squat compaired to the uh ones, seems almost undersized

Thanks Sean. Fully agree, looks great on the shelf from most angles, but if you look at the Siku Valtra in profile you do get the impression the cab is too short in height particularly in relation to the diameter of the rear wheels, shame I don't have a UH version to photograph alongside it, a situation I may rectify in the coming months. :)

Your welcome mate. :) They are very stiff, if you're carpet farming with it you have to push fairly hard on the cab top to get them to turn and the rear tracks don't move at all without any pressure placed on them. I'm sure someone on here has posted a method to rectify this situation, but as a display model i'm more than satisfied with it. :)

No problem Sean, happy to have answered your questions. :) Here's another rubber tracked machine I have in my collection a baby 1/64th scale Caterpillar Challenger 85C and disc set I bought from the Cat factory at North Desford after I went on a tour there 10 years ago:

DSC05619.jpg

DSC05620.jpg

F130 total hard to beat had a shot on one when i was a right wee boy on a mower  ;D ;D love them, good models  ;)

Smart looking tractors, don't know too much about the real machines myself, i've photographs of an F130 and F100 somewhere lurking in a wallet. The brother of a farmer who's based about 2 miles down the road from me used to run a smaller F115 on a 5 furrow reversible Dowdeswell many years ago, always made for a nice sight. I reckon there was about half a dozen or so Winner series tractors working round here once upon a time most of which were replaced by New Holland 8360/8560 tractors and not their terracotta counterparts. Very pleased to have found the 1/25 scale model ROS made of the F130 hoping that after the 90 series Fiats they've produced in 1/32nd scale they also turn their attention to one of these machines in the same scale. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday whilst at the first working day I attended I treat myself to the UH Claas Arion 640. Despite it taking me an eternity to remove it from it's base i'm very impressed with this model, I can't find any faults with it, everything that's supposed to move does exactly as it should do. Because I don't have any implements to accompany it's front linkage i've currently got the front weight from my Weise Fendt 515C sat on the link arms.

Here it is up close and alongside the rest of the Claas wheeled tractors I currently have in my collection:

DSC05880.jpg

DSC05881.jpg

DSC05882.jpg

DSC05885.jpg