demonstrator tractors

andrewstanford

well contractor i used ta work with had two 6930 premium head gasket went on two of them they do like them but hey just buy a t7000 some machine no trouble or a t6090 which im gettin out on demo next week for meself but then again i run all newhollands i may be biased but they work well for us its all about dealer backup

I think out of that list I would take the CVX personally. Local contractor has quite a few now.

Having driven a few 4 cyl Valtras (50 series and N's) as well as a T171 I would be interested in your views on the T too.

people knock the Deutz and Valtra on little things, but when it comes to second hand values aside from Fendt you will never have trouble getting a good price and plenty of prospective buyers for either, a trip to Cambridge machinery auctions will prove that.

Alot of farmers dont really take second hand values into account anymore, just seem to be keen on the cheapest deal and nearest dealer.

the 20 hurt JD the new 30 series are a complete different kettle o fish trust me

A CVT gearbox with no engine braking ability at road speeds is a joke when every other manufacturer says you can and a lot fitting exhaust brakes with them.  Our dealer even said if we have gearbox faults caused by slowing dearbox down any evidence of it ever happening, we wont get any warranty from deere as there not backing the box anymore!  And its now sounding very unhealthy mainly caused we think by heavy work on plough last year

curious now,  when you have had the demo tractor out, do you tend to get a lot of calls from the dealer pushing you for a sale after???,guess if you have had a fair few in over say the summer harvest it could lead to no end of calls ,i know a car salesman can be quiet aggressive after a sale, i experianced that last year

Thats not normally the case until you get it down to a choice of a couple however one or two local salesmen can be very pushy and agressive with their techniques when it gets to that stage. What annoys me is when they keep coming back with lower prices, it should be their best price first and no messing about. A certain one has been known to alter the spec of the item slightly to improve the price and get the deal......didn't work with my plough as we noticed what he'd done, I'm sure one of our other Norfolk members will know exactly who I mean as well ::);D

I actually thought the point of a salesmen was to sell the customer what he asked for not what he thought he could get away with to get the sale, in the case of my plough we'd asked for a straight 5 furrow hydraulic vari-width capable of going up to 6 in the future......we were quoted for that by all dealers bar one who tried us for a 4 + 1 plough from the next range down to what we'd asked for so having a smaller beam size making a 4 + 1 + 1 seem a recipe for disaster if we went down that road in the future and that was on their third attempt of quoting for what we wanted ::)  suffice to say he was ruled out of the deal despite his plough being one of the favourites

the customer should always make it clear what they require but a good salesman will push, to be honest if someone couldnt pick up on that sort of spec change then theyre pretty thick!!

I was referring to price changes which can also work in relation to  higher or lower spec.

The best price as you refer to is up for negotiation until the deal is struck and salesman need to be pushy to get the deal and line themselves up for future business.

A price needs to be quoted on the day of the demo then worked on from that.

I think also in some cases (I know this to be true of MF) the manufacturer will keep 'giving' additional margin to the dealer to use in an attempt to get the sale.  I'm not suggesting that this is always the case... but it was certainly so when I bought my first 5445. 

Perhaps there could also be an element of this when salesmen keep coming back with lower deals.

having said that... it's the job of a salesman to ensure that he gets the sale BUT in a way that makes the customer feel valued and part of the process... selling equipment such as this is all about customer perception - for things like double glazing it really doesn't matter what the customer ends up thinking after the event (to a certain degree)... but in this style of selling the customer needs to be a repeat spender.

In short... the salesman Gavin mentions has failed to do his job on this occasion... and (only my opinion) not for the reason Gavin thinks... but for the fact that Gavin and his boss felt they had tried to be conned or perhaps had their intelligence insulted  :-\

Selling is a VERY fine art and I've only met a handful of people in my working life who can do it properly.. in short you have to do 3 things... NOT just scratch your order book

1. Gain you customers repsect and trust - build a long term relationship with them based on this

2. Make some money... and even not be afraid to admit it to your customer

3. Oh yeah... make the sale  ;);D

i agree with what youre saying Mark partly, as for the plough scenario that particular dealer may have needed to push a particular model for a variety of reasons some out of his control ie, end of range, delivery issue etc.

Years ago i went for an interview with a very large tractor dealership and the job is more pressured than anyone realises. The position was vacant due to previous salesman not meeting targets.

companies are different but this ones  priorities were;

1 the sale

2 meet targets

I was told long gone were the days for customer rapport, i felt it was a too much pressured environment for farming and didnt take the job.

A decision i regret because i would love  that position now as ive become somewhat arrogrant with age!!

I really thought farmers would shy away from that sort of selling however that company just keeps getting bigger in an ever competing world.

How many tractors/machines are sold to farmers over spec purely because a salesman pushes it, hell of alot i would imagine??

• 3 weeks later...

we had this for a few days last week a 185hp landini,my honest opinon is biggest load of rubbish i driven for a while/too bouncy on road,really struggled to pull a 12ton trailer,cab supension was nonstop squeaking,gearbox was jerky,

used it for 2 loads then parked it in the yard and put mxm 140 on the trailer instead

Oh and one last last thing its a McCormick  painted blue

post-1111-132639427389_thumb.jpg

post-1111-132639427405_thumb.jpg

I had the New Holland for a week back in the spring but a couple of days is the norm these days a lot of the time, especially if there is a waiting list for demo's. Personally I aren't that bothered about the Deutz as looking at the brochure I can see a few things I don't like on it already

How did you get on with the New Holland?

we had this for a few days last week a 185hp landini,my honest opinon is biggest load of rubbish i driven for a while/too bouncy on road,really struggled to pull a 12ton trailer,cab supension was nonstop squeaking,gearbox was jerky,

used it for 2 loads then parked it in the yard and put mxm 140 on the trailer instead

i can agree with ya, drove a mcCormick for 3 days last year muck spreading, was a pile of what we had in the spreaders, noisey, cheap plastic and poor fitting doors etc, let dust into the cab in sevaral places!

I had a drive on a new McCormick MTX and it was exactly the same as a 10 year old case mx I had driven earleir that day, not to mention the ride was awful and the gearbox clunked.

• 2 weeks later...

We only have red, one neighbour has blue and another Green. from what i see around alot of people are loyal to one brand. We were offered a ford alot cheaper than the Massey we just brought but in my opinion the massey is alot better inside and you dont feel like your in a plastic box.

Dealers have learnt our game now for machines. They twigged when we had a simba toptilth on demo then didnt buy one, my uncle just copied it and made his own. After that people are reluctant to give us demo's of machines. Landquip is down the road from me and sold us booms for a sprayer but knew he wouldnt sell us a sprayer as we just build our own with scavenged parts.

As for pushy dealers, if you find one, then just take advantage of it, they will usualy keep giving more demos if you say your undecided and want another, they will learn not to be so pushy if you keep having a demo then dont buy one. Better to put hours on someone elses tractor than your own.

well around my uncles area farmers all jump in and help one another. they start off 1st cut at 1 farm then gradually do everyone elses then end up at his then a week after they finish his they start at the 1st farm again and work our way down to ours then the rest. and well it works out well because each farm send 2 or 3 tractors then my uncle sends his john deere 7530 on drag chopper and his jcb tm310s to buck rake. ;)

We only have red, one neighbour has blue and another Green. from what i see around alot of people are loyal to one brand. We were offered a ford alot cheaper than the Massey we just brought but in my opinion the massey is alot better inside and you dont feel like your in a plastic box.

Dealers have learnt our game now for machines. They twigged when we had a simba toptilth on demo then didnt buy one, my uncle just copied it and made his own. After that people are reluctant to give us demo's of machines. Landquip is down the road from me and sold us booms for a sprayer but knew he wouldnt sell us a sprayer as we just build our own with scavenged parts.

As for pushy dealers, if you find one, then just take advantage of it, they will usualy keep giving more demos if you say your undecided and want another, they will learn not to be so pushy if you keep having a demo then dont buy one. Better to put hours on someone elses tractor than your own.

a contractor near us put nearly 1800 bales on a demo baler over a week while he was waiting for them to fix his then he bought a brand new one because the demo had to many bales on it and he paid the same as what they tried to sell him the demo with 2000 bales on

well  :-\

we've had all our demos out to us now we've got a case cx130 (digger) on demo for the construction part of things but my dad's spent some time in a massey ferguson 6485 and rather liked it so he's trying to get a 6480/85 on demo now. :'( >:(

that's a story I've heard many times recently Mark.... you know you'll have to change your profile signature if dad does bite the bullet and get one  ;):):P

that's a story I've heard many times recently Mark.... you know you'll have to change your profile signature if dad does bite the bullet and get one  ;):):P

well to be honest i didn't put the signature my mate did i just couldn't be botherd changing it !

btw now i know why you love masseys  :-*  talk about perrrrrrfect >:(

i think i'm going red even if dad doesnt  :-[:-\ ;D