I did a lot of paper engineering/card modelling years ago as a hobby. This all began when I got a monthly publication from the news agents called Quest. Quest was a science magazine which could be collected in a ring binder to make up an encyclopedia and often came with an experiment sheet and a card model to cut out and build. The models were great, often with moving parts and shortly after I started drawing up my own with a pencil, ruler and compass. My first creation was a JCB 3C loader made from card from a cornflake box, and coloured with felt tip pen. About 15 years later in 2005 I got heavily back into the hobby, now you could download models off the internet and after learning to use a CAD drawing program, I was able to make more accurate models and print off the parts sheets. The sky is the limit, almost anything can be made from paper or card, it is a very cheap hobby, and if you mess up, just print off more parts. I eventually tackled a County 7600-four and began working my way through various County models.

58bf1c62708f2_county7600a.thumb.JPG.a39a96dc120e49233497bcbd39a4bb9c.JPG58bf1c6af1311_county7600b.thumb.JPG.225388eebe6d72da038fef31f7de39ef.JPG58bf1c76d780f_county7600c.thumb.JPG.77e89ed6d2f1a90d8da8da7f06822cd9.JPG

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunning, as everyone else has said.

Is there anyway that you could then convert the technology and produce a resin version or even metal? Some of the mainstream manufacturers could learn a lot from you about accuracy that's for sure.

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, richo said:

They are fantastic! Ever thought about supplying kits? I would enjoy making some of these.

Hi Richo, yes I did consider it, as all I would need to do is get them printed on to card, easy to post too! There is a lot more work in these models than meets the eye, most of it is printed off but some of it is made up as I went along, cabs are glazed and the tyre cleats are a heavier card cut and twisted to shape and then glued one at a time around each wheel. All cylindrical parts are rolled paper, usually rolled to the desired thickness, exhaust pipes and drive shafts are made like this too. Wing mirrors are paper clips. A kit would have been quite complex and there just wasn't enough general interest in the models to start drawing up instruction and technique sheets. I did produce more basic kits of a dump truck, road grader, articulated tractor and container stacker, these came with instruction sheets and packaging but again no interest, kids want computer games these days!

Archived