New Holland 1905 Forager

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, I have maybe gone a bit OTT for something that's going to be covered up most of the time, but that's me getting drawn into the detail again, and it's not finished yet:D Trust me, you wouldn't want to watch the video of the making of it unless you were struggling to get to sleep...mind you, it would have to be after the watershed as there's been a bit of swearing at times with some of the fiddly bits!:lol:

As for bending the tube, most of it is solid plastruct rod and I hold it a couple of inch above a lighter flame for just a second or two, depending on the thickness of the rod, rolling it until you see it just start to move, then I bend it to the angle i need and then hold it for another second or two until it cools. I do the tube in the same way, but I place a piece of rod that fits snugly inside it at the point where I'm going to bend it to  stop it deforming when I curve it. Initially it can be a little bit trial and error, but I've found it the best way to get a neat curve.:)

Thanks Kieran, I've not seen it as close up as that:D, makes me realise that I must get some reading glasses, my arms are becoming too short! Trouble is, when you can see things more clearly it also lets you see the rough bits and the mistakes you've made!:o:lol:

8 hours ago, 844john said:

Thanks all, I have maybe gone a bit OTT for something that's going to be covered up most of the time, but that's me getting drawn into the detail again, and it's not finished yet:D Trust me, you wouldn't want to watch the video of the making of it unless you were struggling to get to sleep...mind you, it would have to be after the watershed as there's been a bit of swearing at times with some of the fiddly bits!:lol:

As for bending the tube, most of it is solid plastruct rod and I hold it a couple of inch above a lighter flame for just a second or two, depending on the thickness of the rod, rolling it until you see it just start to move, then I bend it to the angle i need and then hold it for another second or two until it cools. I do the tube in the same way, but I place a piece of rod that fits snugly inside it at the point where I'm going to bend it to  stop it deforming when I curve it. Initially it can be a little bit trial and error, but I've found it the best way to get a neat curve.:)

I will have to give the lighter trick a go next time I try to bend some rod or tube.  Thanks 

2 hours ago, 844john said:

Thanks Kieran, I've not seen it as close up as that:D, makes me realise that I must get some reading glasses, my arms are becoming too short! Trouble is, when you can see things more clearly it also lets you see the rough bits and the mistakes you've made!:o:lol:

Well I must need glasses as well because I can't see any mistakes or rough bits!!!

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Ben Gardebroek said:

This looks amazing. Did you finish this model already John?

Thanks Ben, not yet I'm afraid, lambing stopped all modelling activities but now we're finished hopefully I'll get back to it shortly, unfortunately my list of on going projects is quite long at the moment!

1 hour ago, justy 46 said:

Heck John..you are a talented man..The level off detail in the engine alone is magnificent..;)

Thank you Justin, it always makes the wife chuckle, she thinks my hands, eyesight and general dexterity are better suited to building walls and lambing sheep than doing such fiddley things as this....she might have a point actually:lol:

1 hour ago, L33 Da17on said:

Truly amazing, that's some detail. Looks fiddly but realy good. You say itll be covered over but you know the details are there. Keep up the good work mate it's a joy to watch you build a lovely machine. 

Thanks Lee, as usual what started out as just adding a little more detail spiralled! Must get back to it when I get the chance

Archived