The Tractor Twitcher's Travels Revisited

The Tractor Twitcher

4 hours ago, The Tractor Twitcher said:

Sticking with the maize theme, I photographed this New Holland CR9080 harvesting maize for pig feed in November 2018.

m_5 - Copy.jpg

m_14 - Copy.jpg

m_17 - Copy.jpg

m_30 - Copy.jpg

Was this in the UK? I didn't think there was any Maize grown for grain in the UK due to insufficient Growing Degree Days.  Any chance you remember what yields they were getting?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sipher172 said:

Was this in the UK? I didn't think there was any Maize grown for grain in the UK due to insufficient Growing Degree Days.  Any chance you remember what yields they were getting?

It was indeed Chris, North Lincolnshire to be precise. Nowadays it's a much more common sight in the UK because there's a lot more hardier varieties capable of being grown in colder temperatures. I know of quite a few farms now up into Yorkshire that grow it as a combinable crop for animal feed. There's a lot of stored energy in grain maize that is then normally crimped and added to livestock's diets. Whilst i'm not sure of yields the maize you see being harvested in my pictures is blown into a silo before being passed through a mill and then goes into an automated liquid feed system with other ingredients that make up the pigs diet. It's grown on the most challenging land on this farm where other crops don't prosper as much and can stand a decent dose of slurry and muck. It's harvested between November and February.

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

Seen a fair bit last year round somerset way in my travels, all lifted via combine ,not that common mind normally ,  used to see a bit in cornwall as well , especially on the duchy of cornwall farms 

Loads now being grown for grain around here now around the South Yorks, North Lincs, and Notts borders Sean. Could probably count at least a dozen combines not far from here that are now seen in operation with a proper maize header. Most harvest game cover strips with a standard reel.

14 minutes ago, 844john said:

Don't know what it is about them David, but I've always had a bit of a thing for those, just basic, raw power I suppose! Looking forward to your updates on it!

Incredibly primitive, and far from the most comfortable or easy to operate. Much of the technology in these tractors hasn't changed since the late fifties/early sixties. But you're right, there is just something about them, and they certainly look like they could pull a house down. Thanks John, looking forward to seeing it on Spring cultivation work hopefully next month. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Tractor Twitcher said:

It was indeed Chris, North Lincolnshire to be precise. Nowadays it's a much more common sight in the UK because there's a lot more hardier varieties capable of being grown in colder temperatures. I know of quite a few farms now up into Yorkshire that grow it as a combinable crop for animal feed. There's a lot of stored energy in grain maize that is then normally crimped and added to livestock's diets. Whilst i'm not sure of yields the maize you see being harvested in my pictures is blown into a silo before being passed through a mill and then goes into an automated liquid feed system with other ingredients that make up the pigs diet. It's grown on the most challenging land on this farm where other crops don't prosper as much and can stand a decent dose of slurry and muck. It's harvested between November and February.

Thanks for the info, that's really interesting.  Defra and the other agencies I looked at don't seem to report any area of maize being grown as a grain crop in the UK.   Maybe to small an area for them to survey still. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sipher172 said:

Thanks for the info, that's really interesting.  Defra and the other agencies I looked at don't seem to report any area of maize being grown as a grain crop in the UK.   Maybe to small an area for them to survey still. 

You're very welcome. 🙂

6 hours ago, The Tractor Twitcher said:

Incredibly primitive, and far from the most comfortable or easy to operate. Much of the technology in these tractors hasn't changed since the late fifties/early sixties. But you're right, there is just something about them, and they certainly look like they could pull a house down. Thanks John, looking forward to seeing it on Spring cultivation work hopefully next month. 

I remember seeing a video of one crossing a river in Russia, it looked like it was about beaten but then finally it managed to get across, and as it emerged it had a huge trailer on the back which you couldn't see initially as it was completely underwater...always impressed me that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Tractor Twitcher said:

You're too kind Joe. Definitely more and more being grown for grain in the UK nowadays.

I thought I had posted them up here somewhere, but can't find them.  I did have 2 DSLR's at the time, but limited lenses and I remember it was a bitter grey day so not ideal for photos.  Was glad to catch on film as I'd never seen Maize being combined before, but they definitely weren't 'Power on the Land' contenders!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 844john said:

I remember seeing a video of one crossing a river in Russia, it looked like it was about beaten but then finally it managed to get across, and as it emerged it had a huge trailer on the back which you couldn't see initially as it was completely underwater...always impressed me that!

Big 15 litre V8 lump under the bonnet, not massively powerful compared to the engines fitted to similar sized articulated tractors built in the west, but still provides immense pulling power. 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CX820Joe said:

I thought I had posted them up here somewhere, but can't find them.  I did have 2 DSLR's at the time, but limited lenses and I remember it was a bitter grey day so not ideal for photos.  Was glad to catch on film as I'd never seen Maize being combined before, but they definitely weren't 'Power on the Land' contenders!

I've only a couple of lens for my DSLR, a mid-range zoom lens, and a wide angle lens which I use mainly for in-cab shots, and at indoor shows where space is at a premium. I'm still learning how to get the best from it every day I time I use it. Still lots to figure out on it since I bought it. 🙂 

1 hour ago, 844john said:

I doubt any modern marvel would be capable of that John, Very impressive,

Regards

Joe.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, catkom3 said:

I doubt any modern marvel would be capable of that John, Very impressive,

Regards

Joe.

That's the one thanks Joe! No, you're right, I don't think all these electrics and ecu's would appreciate being submerged like that!

Lovely pictures again David!

• Thanks 1