Spalding April 2023

robbo

13 hours ago, trigger82 said:

What if you bring your owen tables is it OK.  Free 

The organisers set out the tables in the hall and you are paying for the floor space as well so no, it would not be free for you to bring your own tables

• Like 3

No I won’t be displaying there anymore. the price of tables is just to much I’m all for supporting the show with a small entry fee, but for 6 tables to put my farm on is £37! 
I spend enough money building them and then haul it across country at my expense, I don’t earn nothing for being there. but yet the show benefits with my display being there. 
no displays means no show it will become a shop that you have to pay to enter. 

• Like 3

I would have to agree with that Craig , £37 is way too much, I understand that they have to pay for a venue but it’s discouraging for people that bring big dioramas. You have to pay a premium for bringing a big display which is unfortunate. If I’m going I won’t be bringing the 4x4 display I did for toytrac but a couple smaller ones. Can have on 1 table then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, justy 46 said:

So between exhibitors paying a fee for tables, traders paying fees to set up stands and entry fee for visitors.... Who takes all the cash at the end off the day. Will it go to charity?  

It's the same for every show, not just Spalding. As for where the money is then used, you would have to ask the organisers and I don't think that they are on here

1 hour ago, robbo said:

It's the same for every show, not just Spalding. As for where the money is then used, you would have to ask the organisers and I don't think that they are on here

Normally over here, proceeds go to charity and tables, are free for exhibitors.  

• Like 5

I had always been of the understanding Spalding was mainly a sellers show. Being the first show back after lockdown gave it a nice effect of being a gathering of dioramas but in normal years the focus has always been on items for sale, not dioramas on display?

Shows require organizing and I don't see why a show shouldn't be for profit, at the end of the day if someone needs to see a return from the event they are more likely to work harder for it to be a success. While I can understand the view that exhibitors shouldn't be charged as they give something to the show there is also the argument the show also provides a platform or a space for like minded people to come together, chat and discuss. This is something that you rarely find for free, just look at the amount of people that pay to be in Twitch and Discord streams to be able to chat with likeminded people, and all that is is a server, no room rental, heating, insurance to cover!

There's no doubting its a tricky topic, I only have a small diorama so it wouldn't cost much for me to display so maybe my view is skewed. I'm not exhibiting this year but because I've doubled booked the weekend already!

• Like 1

Well. All I will say here. And I hope not to rock the boat...But somebody at the top here in the show is getting his bread buttered on both sides. He needs the exhibitors to make the show.... But he is charging them at the same time.   A concert venue won't charge the artist for a show. The artist takes his/hers share off ticket fees and the venue/ event organisers take the rest. 

I guess over here things are done differently. 99% off the time it's for charity. Venue owners might allow use off the premises at a discounted price because off it being a fund raising event. Overhead costs need to be accounted for.  But the takings at the door will cover it all. Just saying it's unfair on the travelling exhibitors to pack their fragile models, pay fuel and accommodation costs, then an entry fee.... 

• Like 3

To look at it another way, why should traders be expected to subsidise diorama exhibitors as their table price would have to go up to cover the money lost on free diorama tables. Further to that if a shows allocation of trader spaces is full and more want to come why would you utilise what could be paying floor space for free tables if a show is being run for a profit. 
As already stated Spalding has always been very much a traders show not a diorama show. If you go back far enough it wasn’t just for model tractors either. 

• Like 4

On 1/19/2023 at 7:22 PM, Gav836 said:

To look at it another way, why should traders be expected to subsidise diorama exhibitors as their table price would have to go up to cover the money lost on free diorama tables. Further to that if a shows allocation of trader spaces is full and more want to come why would you utilise what could be paying floor space for free tables if a show is being run for a profit. 
As already stated Spalding has always been very much a traders show not a diorama show. If you go back far enough it wasn’t just for model tractors either. 

There used to be a IFOR WILLIAMS trailer loaded up of all sorts of spares ,mainly plough spares at one time 

• Like 1

💥🚜ANNOUNCEMENT🚜💥
We are excited to announce that after many successful years of running Spalding Model Tractor Show, Colin has kindly passed the wheel onto ourselves: Daniel Hewitt, Kerry Gooden, Chris Edwards & Liz Taylor.
Growing up, Daniel used to note in his calendar each show and would look forward to it all year round so he could spend his pocket money on growing his Britain’s collection. Chris has also had a long standing involvement in the show through having his own stall and helping Colin out where he could. Kerry & Liz have both been a stallholder alongside their partners at shows in the past and have relished being a part of the collecting/dealing community.
We would like to thank both Colin and Tim for running Spalding Model Tractor Show for the last 35 years. As a team, we are very grateful for this opportunity and we look forward to taking it forward for many years to come.
Please note that booking forms will be posted by Tuesday 31st January 2023 to those that usually receive them via post. Alternatively, you can book online via: www.spaldingmodeltractor.com.
We look forward to seeing you all on Sunday 2nd April 2023🚜🐮
  • Like 1