The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

12 hours ago, autoway said:

Look like a very nice tractor 

Cheers Dan :)

12 hours ago, SPN said:

best of luck with it.  A proper pocket rocket

Thanks Stan, will look a bit beefier when i get her sat on new boots, going to swap the 38's for 34's, there's not much in the rolling radius so she'll still be a flyer ;)

10 hours ago, 844john said:

She certainly looks very straight and tidy Paul, you'll be spoilt now on your next road run, - cab, heater, comfy seat! How many hours has she done?

Cheers John, :) Don't forget the radio.... though with the sunroof open it's music to the ears listening to the whistle of that 4/98...;) Brian the bloke that had her prior to me blasted and painted the bonnet, did the roof and wheels and blew a bit of black about the chassis but the cab and mudguards were left as they were, just the lefthand bit of cladding got swapped, it's had a lesiurely life and but the look of it never really seen much life on a dairy farm or if it has it's been kept out of the muck. Brian told me from what he'd found out about her history, she'd been on a farm along with 804xl, and when she went as trade in they swapped parts off the xl on to this to keep the better parts namely the front tyres. She's done a touch under 2000 hours so barely run in....  

8 hours ago, mb86 said:

She's looking splendid in the Lancashire sun Paul. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment from her. You'll have to change the title of the thread to "Marshall mission" now. 

Hahahaha Cheers Martin..... good job the sun was out at the time, not 10 minutes after i'd got her backed back in the shed that the heavens opened for a proper downpour..... i don't know about changing the title of the thread yet.... it was a Major Mission trying to find the special hub socket to get the hubs off the axle, hence i think when the seals went the owner at the time couldn't do anything with it as at 850ft/lbs you can't just tap it round with a hammer and chisel ;) Though having friends in Lancaster and Moffet with various Leylands and Marshalls, and Charnleys just down the road parts and information isn't a problem :)

7 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Paul ...that's a fine clean looking tractor . Are you going to put her to work ??  Or any working days for it ? I'm not very familiar with the Marshalls , but is she around the 80ish HP mark ?

Thanks Justin :) aye she should be 82 hp, not big by todays standards, but was deemed big back in the early 80's, the 804 was Marshalls range topper until the release of the 904 which was basically the same tractor tweaked abit more to 90hp until the release of the square bonneted 100-125hp 6 cylinder 100 series. Once i sorted the tyres out then i'll find a bit of work for her, she'll travel on 34's on the land better than the narrower 38's. in a way she's set up for a plough but i'm not that way inclined hahaha.

5 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

nice buy ,was looking for something else and came across this, pretty sure its malvern,is this your new buy 

Cheers Sean :) Aye that was her at Malvern, heard her whistling from across the road in the carpark... but didn't know it was her until i got walking along the line in the auction and saw the weight tray extention.....best bit is the last two letters of the reg are my initials, PW so it's as if she had my name on her from day one..... at the time though there was and still is something else i should have put my money into work-wise but after missing her 3 times prior it was worth the chasing after Malvern to broker a deal.....Happy 40th Birthday to me! hahaha.... admittedly a bit early as it's not till December hahaha

• Like 4

• Valley Axe Man changed the title to The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

She looks a bit different now Paul, always thought they looked very purposeful with that short wheelbase and the sekura cab, and like you say, at 2000 hours she's barely run in! The only thing i wasn't too keen on was the huge dash binnacle that seemed to stick much further out into the cab than the cases of the time with the similar cab, just made getting in and out a bit more tricky, but you soon forget about that once you turn the key and hear that whistle! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 844john said:

She looks a bit different now Paul, always thought they looked very purposeful with that short wheelbase and the sekura cab, and like you say, at 2000 hours she's barely run in! The only thing i wasn't too keen on was the huge dash binnacle that seemed to stick much further out into the cab than the cases of the time with the similar cab, just made getting in and out a bit more tricky, but you soon forget about that once you turn the key and hear that whistle! 

Aye John,  Brian did a good bit of work tidying her from her original condition, He used her to do some topping and also had her on a set of harrows last back end after the refurb but commented that she felt abit bouncy with being a short tractor, the XL series were 8" longer in the wheelbase so i guessed that was the reason for the original frame extention to get it to handle like the farms XL when weighted up. Now thats been removed and 8 wafers added she seems fairly good on the road and not too bad for bouncing.... might be a different story with something hung on the linkage but time will tell with that one. 

do you know where she went in devon paul? you tend to notice those round this way as they were very few and far between even when common . theres some guys not far from me who seem to do restos and sell on again ,last few i have seen out there were a run of  mb tracs and a deutz intrac , but seen plenty of countys go through 

• Like 1

Looks a tidy tractor Paul, going by the reg plate it originated on my doorstep here in Norfolk. Our neighbour used have an 804xl as his spraying tractor, could hear it working from a mile away!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

do you know where she went in devon paul? you tend to notice those round this way as they were very few and far between even when common . theres some guys not far from me who seem to do restos and sell on again ,last few i have seen out there were a run of  mb tracs and a deutz intrac , but seen plenty of countys go through 

Not too sure about it's stay in Devon Sean, When Brian got her she was in the same condition as she was at Cambridge and was Brian that tidied her up and put her back into work

16 hours ago, Gav836 said:

Looks a tidy tractor Paul, going by the reg plate it originated on my doorstep here in Norfolk. Our neighbour used have an 804xl as his spraying tractor, could hear it working from a mile away!

Cheers Gav :)  by the sounds of it then, she's been on fairly good ground most of her working life, hence the lack of rot in the cab and rear mudguards, It's all interesting stuff adding to the story now knowing she was registered in Norfolk, log book states new at first registration 1/12/83. Thats one thing about a Leyland engine, be it turbo'd or not they have a exhaust note all of their own.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stehos said:

Great purchase Paul!

Cheers Jack :) Something abit different, although not a "Blue" she might end up with a pair of Ford rear rims as Martin (mb86) kindly measured his up on his 7610 and they are the right stud pattern and centre to fit the Marshall, so it might make it abit easier to find a set of 34's if the Leyland/Marshall rims are abit thin on the ground....

3 hours ago, smithy said:

The more I look at her Paul the more jealous I am well done for tracking her down she is a beauty  :D  

Thanks Smithy ;)  She's one ticked off on the bucket list, It's took a while but got there in the end, Think the bigger tyres and possibly a beacon will help finish her off and put my mark on her..... though i've got her booked into the tractor section of a local Ag show in a fortnight to give her a first proper outing 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Jack :) Something abit different, although not a "Blue" she might end up with a pair of Ford rear rims as Martin (mb86) kindly measured his up on his 7610 and they are the right stud pattern and centre to fit the Marshall, so it might make it abit easier to find a set of 34's if the Leyland/Marshall rims are abit thin on the ground....

Thanks Smithy ;)  She's one ticked off on the bucket list, It's took a while but got there in the end, Think the bigger tyres and possibly a beacon will help finish her off and put my mark on her..... though i've got her booked into the tractor section of a local Ag show in a fortnight to give her a first proper outing 

Nooo Paul, don't do it, not a beacon!:o Don't spoil the old girl by putting on of those idiot lights on her, before you know it you'll have flashing LED strips, twin aerials, a number plate with your name on and other assorted "accessories". ;):D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, 844john said:

Nooo Paul, don't do it, not a beacon!:o Don't spoil the old girl by putting on of those idiot lights on her, before you know it you'll have flashing LED strips, twin aerials, a number plate with your name on and other assorted "accessories". ;):D

Chrome.

Lots of chrome.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 844john said:

Haha the number plate already has my name on John...... well initials at least ;) Don't need to do owt too flash, just be a single lucas beacon, in keeping with the age of her.....if there was an aftermarket kit for a  passenger seat then the obvious choice of extra would be Rachel Riley as a seat cover...... ;)

17 hours ago, SPN said:

Chrome.

Lots of chrome.

Too bling for me Stan.... looks good on custom trucks but not the right thing for a classic tractor :unsure:

7 hours ago, Hajo said:

Nice replacement, I must say I have always loved the general look of this tractor, eventhough you don't see them on this side of the North Sea. :D 

Cheers Hajo :)  There will be places in the UK that don't see many of them either, but it's nice to have something that's a little bit  different.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well her first outing now under her belt to Goosnargh and Longridge Ag show yesterday, discussion was had with Andy at Roadrunner tyres who had a stand opposite the tractors,  he said he could do a good price on a pair of 12.4x28's for the front so that could be the next purchase on the list :)

IMG_4310.thumb.JPG.8038cc04810132c07b76febd203d4bb2.JPG

• Like 9

Looks a grand day Paul and your 804 is a beauty. a productive day if you found a set of front boots. You weren't tempted to order the back pair in readiness for your new rims when you find some?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mb86 said:

Looks a grand day Paul and your 804 is a beauty. a productive day if you found a set of front boots. You weren't tempted to order the back pair in readiness for your new rims when you find some?

Cheers Martin :) one or two folk made a nice comment or two, which was good for it's first outing.  Thoughts did cross my mind to try and broker a deal on a full set, but i've bought tyres off Roadrunner before and Andy seems to look after you price wise, last 2 sets of BF's for the defenders came off him as did the BF's on the freelander so i sure when the time comes for the replacement 34's he'll sort them at a decent deal ;)

• Like 1